“Just dont ask for a boiled egg” 4 of 5 stars

Londonderry Arms Hotel
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   20 Harbour Road, Carnlough BT44 0EU, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Carnlough B&B and Inns
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Just dont ask for a boiled egg”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My wife and I just spent the weekend in this lovely old hotel. I was like stepping back into the past with old world comfort and charm.
On arrival we had a meal in the Bistro coach house and we were so impressed with the food and the service that we ate there every night.
The room was spacious and comfortable with a nice view of the sea.
On the Sunday morning we went down to breakfast and I asked would it be possible to have a boiled egg the waitress replied that we are far too busy for that!!!!
We left shortly after that and in the rush to leave my wife forgot her jacket.
When we arrived home she phoned the hotel to inform them they said that they would check the room and phone us back.
Next day they still had not rang us back so my wife phoned again same thing again will check the room and get back to us. This time the very helpful Lady did phone back they had found the jacket and promised to post out the jacket without charge.
Over all the stay was excellent the staff in the coach house and reception were first class.
But please don’t belittle the customer if they dare to ask for a boiled egg.

Room Tip: Dont ask for a boiled egg at breakfast
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

244 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stayed here two nights on a special offer B&B. Was warmly welcomed at reception and was glad to see that I had been given a good-sized room on the top floor. The window overlooked a side street and a grim back yard with bins, etc. but this didn't bother me as it might have done if it had been a pokey little room.There was a hospitality tray well stocked with tea, coffee & milk but, sadly, no biscuits!
The bathroom had decent quality toiletries - soap, shower gel, shower cap.
There was a good sized bath but the shower was a nightmare. The instructions for using it were attached to the bath but only made it's operation more confusing. I only managed to get either scalding hot or freezing cold water, and either skin-blasting pressure or a trickle. They need to re-write those instructions!
Breakfast was excellent, with the cooked part of it served to the table and the nicest toast I have ever tasted. They even do porridge!
The bistro is friendly, cosy and informal and they serve decent meals all day, not just snacks. I recommend the steak!
A small warning: they don't have 'do not disturb' notices,so you need to tidy up a bit before you sgo down to breakfast in case they decide to 'do' your room before you get back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Ballymena, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The Londonderry Arms is a well-known institution in County Antrim. Nestled in the small coastal village of Carnlough at the foot of Glencloy, this small hotel overlooks the Irish Sea. Anyone from the area will have very fond memories of this old Inn hotel. Some of the Londonderry Arms staff have been working here most of their lives. On special family occasions I was brought here by my parents 40 years ago. Just yesterday some friends and I had Sunday dinner in the very same restaurant. I’m glad to say… nothing has changed. The large Stags Head still hangs in the reception, a roaring, crackling fire warms your bones from the cold March sea breeze & the old hotel bar feels as welcoming as ever.

Being Saint Patrick’s weekend, I decided to book a table for Sunday lunch. When we arrived, we opened the large front wooden door and walked up to reception. A very friendly receptionist welcomed our party, grabbed 3 menus and took us to our table by the window. The choice of food was typical of any traditional Northern Irish Sunday Lunch Menu… Roast Beef, Lamb, Chicken to name but a few. With a neatly pressed white linen tablecloth, a complementary basket of Irish traditional Wheaten Bread and butter, a 3 course Sunday Roast Dinner being freshly prepared in the kitchen, I knew I was in for a mouth-watering treat. I picked Stuffed Mushrooms to start followed by a good healthy portion of Roast Chicken on a bed of mashed potato and selection of Vegetables followed by desert and coffee, I was pleasantly surprised that my meal only cost £17.95 (€21;00 / US$ 27.00). After I walked my lunch off around the village harbour, I left Carnlough heading back home though the Glens of Antrim thinking… “I must come back to the Londonderry Arms more often”.

For anyone planning a visit to Belfast, County Antrim or the North Irish Coast who are looking for a warm, comfortable and privately-owned hotel to return too every evening, I can’t recommend the The Londonderry Arms highly enough.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Our bedroom was a little jaded, but the main areas of the hotel are lovely. I loved the open log fires and the staff were really warm and friendly. Dinner was very good, and the bar and lounge areas were great to relax in too. Great walk up into the hills behind the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Glendale, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

The inn which was built by Winston Churchill's grandmother is a very nice small hotel across from the harbor in a convenient location, excellent for a day's trip to the Giant's Causeway, Carrick-a-rede rope bridge and Dunluce Castle - all really worthwhile seeing. Our room was very spacious and comfortable, staff was helpful and the pub food (the formal dining room was closed) was unpretentious but tasty. A good place to spend a few nights. Would come back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Newtownabbey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed at the Londonderry Arms on Sat 9th March and really enjoyed my stay. Our room was lovely, very comfortable indeed. We had an excellent evening meal, and relaxed in the bar, which was cosy and very friendly. We had walked in the glens earlier, so we were a bit damp and tired, so we were so glad to find ourselves in such a welcoming hotel with such helpful staff. Breakfast was perfect the next morning, plenty of choices.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed overnight after dining with friends and the whole experience was delightful. The attention from the staff is exceptional and Denise is doing an incredible job. The warmth of the hotel staff overcomes any little shortfalls in this lovely old country hotel. The value for money is superb and the food at both dinner and breakfast is wonderful. Don't hesitate to stay in this hotel and enjoy the fabulous scenery on your doorstep.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Londonderry Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!