“Poor food and service” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Ballymena, United Kingdom
“Poor food and service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Having had a bad experience here previously we felt we'd give this place another chance - what a mistake! Firstly we stood waiting at the door for about 10 mins without being acknowledged, when we finally got a table we waited ages to order and it took the food almost a hour to come and part of the order was missing. The food itself wasn't overly warm and not great quality to be honest. We witnessed a row between a waiter and the kitchen staff with the waiter storming off, not very professional! After I ordered a dessert they forgot to bring it so we waited yet again. Granted it was busy but not overly. The waiting staff did apologise for the mix up with the order and waiting time and took the price of 1 side order off the bill - big deal! All in all we were there 2 hrs 15 mins, we will not be back, so disappointed!

Visited December 2013

• Polish first
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
“Really good, really friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Liked the food I got, a bacon and mushroom pasta dish. Someone with me really enjoyed their spaghetti bolognaise. The food was great value for money. Friendly service, great selection of menu choices. Spacious "diner" decor with Italian American and US sports stuff on the walls. The place was big, but your booth feels private. Huge free car park outside, used for the cinema and two fast food places, also. Recommended.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ballymena, United Kingdom
“Not worth the wait!!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Took the family to F&B's last night for what will be the last time. We arrived with 4 young children - we hadn't booked but did try to phone and couldn't get through. On arrival the restaurant was not busy at all - about 6 tables being used. When we asked for a table we were asked to wait at the bar till they got a table ready - which was strange as 90% of the tables were empty and made up? Anyhow after a 10 minute wait we were taken to our table.
Our drinks order was taken - no colouring pages were offered for the kids although there were pensil's on the tables. 25 minutes later our order was taken - I could have accepted the wait if the place was busy but it was effectively empty. The service was well below standard to this point. There was a cold draught a the table and we had to close blinds to reduce the chill.
The food arrived 15 minutes later - nearly 1 hour since we had arrived & with 4 young kids this wait seemed like alot longer.
The food was ok but nothing more than a slight step up from a fast food place. The cokes we had ordered we watery and not good at all (seems to be regular at this place - the last time we were in the coke was rubbish). When the waiter came round when we finished our meal I informed him the coke was not good. He told me it must have been the end of the container and offer to get more but as we had finished we did not want more. Funnily enough this was the same explanation of poor tasting coke I was given on the previous trip to this F&B's.
The service was poor but when we asked for the bill the waiter then perked up and became quite chatty which felt quite false. When he continued to tell us he "did pretty well from tips" I felt this was his charm offensive at the point of paying in the hope of a tip. We always tip waiting staff on a night out but F&B's staff need to realise that service begins from the minute the customer steps through the door until they leave and not just when we are about to pay for the meal!

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Glenariffe, United Kingdom
“Good Service, Poor Over Priced Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Decided to give the place a chance, so took the family last night. I don’t normally write reviews but I feel so strongly about this one it would be wrong not to. It is a good looking place and well presented. We were attended by two friendly competent staff. Seated near the kitchen I had a good view of the chefs and their working practices. I have been a professional chef for the best part of 30 years and I know what to look for and how the workforce should be presented. So far it was all good. Then the food arrived. My first 3 or 4 bites of different items on the plate were cool, not cold, but having just been brought from under the hot lamps I would have expected them to be hot. The portions were not the big enough. I had the New York chicken and I knew before I cut into it, it was going to be tough and over cooked. Having a “fillet” that thin makes it difficult to cook properly, inexperienced chefs tend to over compensate and over cook it to be on the safe side. My daughter’s burger was more pureed meat then minced, and it had a very dense and unpalatable texture. The wife had the crab salad, and while it was OK, again it was over done in my estimation. My son had the same dish as me. The desserts were served on cold plates as to be expected, but they hadn’t been cleaned properly and were completely smeared with finger prints .The young chef cannot be blamed for all the mistakes and portion sizes ,he has guidelines from management, o a lot of the blame lies there. What really finished me off was the bill. £83 for 4 main courses a round of soft drinks and 3 desserts. I was speechless. I would have been annoyed to have been billed £40. The food just isn’t good enough for such a premium and the sizes are too small. Almost £12 for an ordinary burger is just too much. The serving staff were quite good, the place looks good but the cooks need to be monitored more closely by experienced personnel. The management need a more hands on approach or they will not be in Ballymena for much longer. From my experience I would say that their trade includes a lot of first timers like myself and my family but that will dry up. I use Blue Chicago in Larne every so often and it has always been faultless. I regularly settle a bill of £80-£90 and never feel I have been over charged. I will not be back to this establishment.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
bellaghy
“Service brilliant, food could be nicer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Went for a birthday party, great service, young fella was lovely really friendly. Great atmosphere. Although food was nice could of been warmer, plates were cold, made food cold quick, the price was appalling for 6 girls price was too much. But I enjoyed my night and pretty sure the 5 others did too

Visited October 2013