“Good choice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Galgorm Resort & Spa

You added Galgorm Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Galgorm Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   136 Fenaghy Road, Ballymena BT42 1EA, Northern Ireland (Formerly Galgorm Manor)   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ballymena
“Good choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have stayed in Galgorm twice, in 2011 and 2013. The first time I boot the room on the 3rd floor with a lovely view on the river. I fell in love with the bathroom! I was really excited to go back... Well, this time I was pretty much disappointed. I got some old, smelly room on zero floor with no view and old bathroom. The spa is very nice though.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
PSmythGalgorm, Manager at Galgorm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Paulina_Bali,

Thank you for your review and may I thank you for your repeated custom. May I also apologise for any disappointment you felt regarding your room. We feel that all 75 rooms at the resort are of a high standard but they do have indeed different views. If you were to return, which I certainly hope that you do, may I suggest a river view superior room. This would definately guarantee a similar outlook to your 2011 stay. Please contact me directly and I would be happy to assist you with any arrangements.
I am pleased that you were able to avail of the Spa and the facilities therein. The Thermal journey is a must for all our guests.

I hope to see you at the resort soon.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed at galgorm for the first time and late evening had to check out and head home due to family emergency. Staff could not have been nicer and I received a telephone call a couple of days later saying the price I paid for our room would be held on file as a credit for me to use another time. Absolutely delighted by this gesture and cannot wait to return to enjoy all galgorm has to offer. A beautiful hotel set in beautiful grounds.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear foodlover1892,

Thank you for kind review and comments.We were more than happy to offer this gesture as we appreciated the circumstances were beyond your control and it is important to us that people do get the opprtunity to experience all that we have to offer.

I do hope that you can return to the resort very soon.

Bangor
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed here as part of a group from work to reward our top advisors and top managers for their figures in 2012.
I was booked a family suite and the room was perfect with the only complaint I could have was there was no dock for my Iphone. This may be me being fussy but this was an extra touch that other luxury hotels now have. An IPOD dock which doubles up as an alarm and a sound system for the room.
I attended the Spa for a luxury Turkish massage which was very good and there is no doubt that the Spa is one of best on this island if not in the UK.
We dined in Gillies Restaurant and the food was good but nothing special. The staff were very attentive but not very friendly.
We spent the rest of the night in Gillies bar and it was good craic although again the bar staff were professional but scared to interact I think!
The breakfast the next morning was excellent with a great choice and a buffet style which had lots of different options and the service again was spot on.
Overall a great night's stay but it was expensive for what we got and I have stayed in and reviewed better hotels which were more affordable and certainly more friendly!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
PSmythGalgorm, Manager at Galgorm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Stephenwjwebb,

Thank you for your kind and balanced review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your overall stay at the resort and would like to congratulate you on a successful 2012. To rank The Spa at Galgorm as one of the UK's best is pleasing to us all. I have taken note regarding the i-pod docks and will consider these for the future. Our staff are usually praised for their customer service and interaction and I have raised your comments to highlight the importance of consistency in all that we do.
We do hope that you can return to the resort in the near future.

Clogher, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I will never retrun to the galgorm, I recieved gift vouchers to stay at the galgorm and booked it within 2 months. The booking process was brilliant and the staff were very helpful.
However i did try to book the spa and no one answered the phone for 2-3 days so i tried to email, and again no repsonse for a few days. I eventually got booked into the spa, after waiting for a response.
A week before we were due to arrive at the hotel, my boyfriend rang to book a couples room for our massage, unfortunately the lady had said the rooms were fully booked. This was understandable as we had given short notice.
On our arrival to the hotel, there was a large que to check in, we were waiting almost 20 mins, however a waiter handed out snacks while we were waiting and apologised, this had to be the only good thing about our stay!
The check in service was quick and easy, and we then made our way to our room. The room was beautiful with a lovely view.
we then made our way to the spa for our massages. we decided to have a quick swim at the thermal suite. We made our way out to the large outdoor hot tub, which to our dissappointment was not working.
we quickly made a run for the smaller hot tub, this was working but was not warm enough for the freezing temperature outside. A few other guests had got in and said they had mentioned it to the spa staff but obviously nothing had be done to adjust the heat.
Our treatment time had arrived and we made our way to the waiting area. We were called shortly after and were taken to the treament rooms. My therapist seemed polite, however the treament was not explained and no questions were asked. She left me to get ready and onto the bed.
I was not provided with any disposible pants so i lay there in my soaking wet swimwear.
The room was freezing, or it could have been that my soaking swimwear that made me feel so cold.
The massage was not worth £75, i felt my therapist put no effort into my massage what so ever, i told her to use deeper pressure and she continued with a light touch. I really did not enjoy my treatment- and to be honest I couldnt wait for it to be over.
I was then taken by a different therapist for my second treatment, and to my suprise i was taken into the couples room by myself,which was "completely booked up". in complete shock i lay there again still in my wet swimwear, hiwever this treatment was alot more enjoyable- my therapist seemed like she enjoyed doing the treatment. Again, no questions were asked and I felt it wasnt a proper treatment.
I was then shown to the relax area, which was nice, moments later my boyfriend also returned and i told him about my experience- he was also in total shock about the couples room. He too was not given disposables to wear during his treatment and was also NOT given an aftercare leaflet.
We left the spa in complete and utter dissappointment.
Then came dinner time- we were greeted after 10 mins of queing in gillies. we ordered our dinner, the starter was delicious, however the main course was horrific. I had cold food set in front of me after a mouthful, I felt sick and refused to eat the rest. My boyfiend had green thai curry was basically just coconut cream with chicken. After a herendous day and an awful meal we went back to our room and couldnt wait to leave the following day.
Breakfast time- blue moulded soda bread is all i have to say.
The hotel can apolgise all they want- but our weekend was ruined from the moment we stepped foot in the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Regina M,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I would like to apologise to you both for the disappointment you felt during your stay. I do wish you had given us the opportunity to discuss and deal with these issues whilst at the Hotel, if only to allow me to pass on and discuss your comments to those departments and staff specifically involved. I have however spoken to all regarding the issues raised. We have set ourselves exacting standards and I am sorry that these fell short during your stay. I am pleased that you found the rooms and housekeeping to be of such a high standard and would hope that you could reconsider your decision not to visit the resort in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We have stayed at Galgorm resort and spa, on numerous occasions now and have been impressed every single time. We were that impressed that we decided to get married there last October and Galgorm had an influx of Scottish guests to attend to. The hotel and grounds itself are gorgeous, the staff go above and beyond to help you. The food is delicious and we treated ourselves to dinner in the riverside restaurant which was well worth it! The spa is wonderfully modern and a great place to relax in the hot tub overlooking the resident heron in the river. Our wedding exceeded our expectations and the level of service was outstanding. With our guests vowing to go back to stay. Wonderful hotel that makes you feel welcome each time you stay.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the river have a gorgeous view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear SJW12_13,

Thank you for your kind review and I am delighted that you so enjoyed your wedding day at the resort. I am also pleased that we left such a lasting impression on your guests. I think it was an excellent idea to allow yourselves the opportunity to spend a little more time at the resort and avail of the many facilities we have to offer. I have passed your kind comments onto everyone. Exceeding expectations is key to our success and something that we strive for.

I do hope that you both can return to the resort in the not to distant future.

Bangor, Co Down
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Made a last minute booking for Sunday lunch in the Gillies bar and grill.
At 1pm the place was surprisingly quiet for St Patricks day but started to fill up from 2pm with families and small children. The hotel had provided a magician who moved about to tables with small children and had them open mouthed as he performed his magic tricks.
We had a very nice meal; starters were seafood chowder for me and deep fried (breadcrumbed) feta cheese for my wife. My chowder was massive with plenty of fish but the consistency of the meal was very thick and "porridge like". A large chunck of homemade bread accompanied the chowder. My wife's deep fried chowder was excellent and included a tomato salsa like sauce with rocket leaves on the side.
Our main courses were scampi for my wife and half roast duck for me. I would have fancied the mixed grill but the £24 price tag put me off! Both meals were excellent with large portions.
Overall, an enjoyable meal but the £60 (with no wine) is a bit pricey and more than we would normally pay for a good Sunday lunch in other restaurants.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bill L,

Thank you for your kind review of Sunday lunch at Gillies Bar and Grill and I am glad both you and your wife enjoyed the meal. I have discussed your finer points with our chef. At Galgorm Resort and Spa all three restaurants, Fratelli, Gillies and The River Room offer an array of menus and options every Sunday, from traditional sunday roasts, through a la carte to finer dishes in the latter. Our aim is to cater for all and we hope that you can return to the resort in the very near future.

Crumlin, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

I was expecting it to be nice as the photos on the website but they don't do any justice. The whole place is spectacular and everything from decor to food & staff is finished to the highest standard. Great service from first contact to arrange a package to leaving!

Check in process was very easy and everyone was welcoming. Not once did we see an unhappy staff member, someone who had failed to iron their uniform or make an effort & they were all always busy and happy to help!

We stayed in fishermans cottage which were spotlessly clean, fully equipped and beautiful views. We couldn't work the fire so called redemption & within 5 mins the groundsman John was at the door giving a demonstration of everything. Lovely and comfortable beds too.

We then ate in the restaurant that evening and the food was delicious and cooked to perfection, the staff were very friendly. Following morning the breakfast selection was phenomenal - and tasted delicious!!

The spa is gorgeous - we failed to book prior to arrival so didn't manage to get a treatment but they are reasonably priced. We did all get fit in the following morning for a cleopatra bath which was lovely - again all staff helpful and friendly and decor luxurious!

The grounds are so pretty, the cabins look lovely inside too and have a brill view over the river as we went for a walk around.

Upon arriving home I realised I had left my shoes in the wardrobe, I called reception who sent concierge to have a look and within 5 mins I had a call stating they located them and have them aside for collection or would post whichever option suited me.

I can hand on heart normally say that I am quite a critical and fussy person but I couldn't even give you something minor that was wrong!

We will definitely be returning! Thanks for a great time :)

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Vicki J,

Thank you for your kind review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We take great pride in the quality of our team and never underestimate the importance they play in our success. I have passed your kind comments on to all, particularly John. We have been blessed with a beautiful location and do our utmost to make the most of this, hense some of the wonderful bedroom views. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the Spa and restaurant.

I do hope that you can return to the resort in the very near future

Operations Manager

Been to Galgorm Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!