“Fathers Day at Fratelli” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Belfast
“Fathers Day at Fratelli”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We had a lovely day at the Galgorm on Fathers day. We ate in Fratelli which was lovely. It is a really nicely decorated restaurant and bright and airy. I have 2 small boys and they decided to build their own Pizzas. They were given chefs hats and aprons which just added to the whole experience. The pizzas were of great quality and they both demolished them. I decided to have the Salmon special which I will definitely have again. The man of the day had pizza which was delicious. There was a magician to entertain the children and adults and he visited each table and when he was there he made sure everyone was involved and enjoyed his tricks. We were very impressed and it really added to the overall experience of the day. The restaurant was packed and this did not affect the service or quality of our food or experience. Overall it cost more than I normally pay for a Sunday lunch with the family but it was worth it as a special treat and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Belfast
“Faultless”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

We ate at The River Room during a recent stay and could find no fault in the cooking, presentation or service. Ask for a table overlooking the river (despite the name very few do!) and enjoy fabulous food in quietly sumptuous surroundings. We'll definitely return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Ok Afternoon Tea at the Galgorm”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We went for lunch/afternoon tea in the conservatory at the Galgorm. The setting is lovely with nice views over the river and well spaced tables. The afternoon tea consists of a savoury course followed by a range of cakes, scones etc plus endless pots of tea. I found the savoury course a bit of a mixed bag - a small cup of delicious soup plus a moreish haggis roll but the caesar salad was bit impractical as it was served in a very small bowl that was difficult to get your knife/fork into. The biggest disappointment was the sandwiches - 2 small fingers from a selection of 4 options. I much prefer to be presented with a range of sandwiches and more of them. The sweet options were nice enough but the scones were big and looked out of place on the dainty cake tray. Clotted cream would have been better. Personally I thought there were too many sweet options and the savouries could have been better. Probably would not recommend to friends.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Limerick, Ireland
“Gillies is over priced for what you get. I won't be back.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Average pub grub at best! And expensive, particularly for what you get. We had a shared starter with cod croquettes, mozzarella balls, salt and chilli chicken and pork rolls. Poor at best. Deep fried, from frozen I imagine, no imagination or thought. The prawn linguine was stodgy and WAYYYY too big ( i eat fine big dinners, so trust me, it was very big), tasteless, unpleasant. The ribs were quite good, but I thought the beans and coleslaw should have been homemade, especially considering the price

. Lazy, thoughtless food. It was all ok, but I just thought it should be priced far lower. If it was better value I wouldn't mind as much. It's dressed up as a fancy restaurant but it just doesn't measure up. Dessert was good but again way too big. Wine list dull and uninteresting.

All in all it's very disappointing. Service quite good though!

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Gillies Restaurant at Galgorm Spa let's the beautiful hotel down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Galgorm Manor is a beautiful Spa hotel however the food at Gillies is overpriced and not what you would expect in this hotel.
We booked by phone for my son's birthday meal - they asked for my e-mail and when I got home there was an e-mail requesting our table back after 2 hours - I found this underhand and if they had told us this on the phone we would not have booked.
The meal itself was average - we had steaks which were expensive for the quality and veg / chips,etc were cold,soggy and cost extra.
The vegetarian menu was quite good but food was pretty tasteless.
The staff were friendly and attentive however this did not make up for our meal.

• Visited May 2014