“Overpriced, Overrated, Overboard!” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Northern Ireland
“Overpriced, Overrated, Overboard!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

What has happened to Gillies at Galgorm Manor? A group of eight for Christmas Dinner, received a luke warm dinner with one bowl of mash potato provided for all, and as another reviewer mentioned something that resembled baby food (parsnip & carrot) along with cold Brussels. Trying to get the staff's attention, as they continually walked past in a not so busy restaurant proved difficult so I continued eating quickly before my meal went entirely cold, while others persevered and had their meals heated. Then to be charged for the service, what a cheek!

Galgorm used to be brilliant this is the second bad meal I have had meal here and have heard numerous bad reports from other customers recently.

Overpriced, overrated, overboard.

Belfast
“Christmas Function 2012”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I was there 21st December with 11 work colleagues for the Christmas party night. We paid £35 each as we booked early. Everyone raved about the prawn cocktail starter which came with a large wheaten muffin. I ordered the melon, the portion was very small and there was a hint of onion flavour therefore it has been on an onion chopping board. I ordered the turkey and ham and had pre-ordered potatoes and vegetables without cream or butter. My turkey (I did not find any ham) was served with one roast potato and a chipolata wrapped in bacon. The veg came but the carrot and parsnip were mashed with cream and the sprouts were covered in cream and almonds. The champ was also creamy. A waiter apologised and after 10 minutes I was flanked by a waiter who brought me buttered mash and a waitress who brought the sprouts back saying they were only covered in cream. I explained again that I had requested no butter or cream so they apologised and rushed off. After 10 minutes they brought me 4 roast potatoes and what they explained as the only plain vegetables in the hotel - peppers, courgettes, aubergines, onions. An interesting combination with turkey dinner although I had finished my turkey by the time I got my veg. The waitress apologised saying the chef had read the note i correctly and thought i had just asked for plain veg. That didn't make sense as there was no plain veg on offer. In short, a very disappointing meal. No ham and a long wait for veg and all for £35 ! The desserts looked ok but my colleagues didn't comment on them so perhaps they weren't outstanding. There was a band playing after the meal but they were a standard Christmas party band to enjoy which you need to have consumed a lot of alcohol. Very disappointed Galgorm !

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
co antrim n ireland
“Excellent Food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Six adults met at Gilles for a Christmas get together and a meal.We decided to have 2courses off the Christmas fare menu...2slices of beautifully lean sirloin roast loads of vegetables in 2side dishes Just cooked to perfection lovely and hot...Best lunch we have had out lately.Pudding was also AMAZN ....and very good portions...Well Done to the Kitchen despite being fully booked the food was GREAT!!!!We told manager in the restaurant as we paid the bill ....and asked him to let the chefs know.WELL DONE GILES....we really enjoyed our meal..

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
N Ireland
“Gillies Bar and Restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Don't go there for your Christmas dinner. The wheaten bread which was served with the prawns was shaped like a muffin but had the consistency of a brick. The carrot and parsnip mash was sloppy it was worse than baby food and a Christmas pudding that was inedible - pure stoge. Very disappointing for the price at £31. They need to hire a chef not serve up hospital food.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Auburn, California
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

Great stop while exploring Northern Ireland. Went to the Giants Causeway and Rope Bridge while heading here. All I can say is wow, the room was excellent and the spa was amazing. I cannot recommend this place enough. Had dinner at Gillies and was very impressed with the service, food and atmosphere. A must stay if you are in the area.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere