“Thank you!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Thank you!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I would just like to say a big thank you to the landlord and staff, we went for a meal to celebrate my husbands birthday. Upon arriving we were greeted by a young gentlemen who showed us to our table, we got chatting to him and he told us about the pub as we'd never been before, he talked us through the menu and even recommended my meal (I'm a celiac so have to be careful of what I eat) I went with the lamb shank, my husband had the steak. Our meals were brought to the table and after eating we could barely move! (the portion sizes are generous and so beautifully cooked we finished the lot!) after letting our food go down we decided to have dessert, when it was brought to the table it was accompanied by three staff members who had taken it upon themselves to make my husbands dessert into a birthday cake - they must have overheard us talking over dinner, as i had not arranged this with them. They sang him happy birthday and really went the extra mile to make you feel welcome. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his birthday and we will definitely be back soon!

Great pub, friendly staff, lovely food.

London, United Kingdom
“Sack The Chef”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We were invited to go out for dinner with some close friends - we looked forward to a traditional English Pub on a Friday night. That much we had. the pub has a nice atmosphere "Oldy World" feel and a good selection of Real Ales and a well stocked Bar. Later in the evening a lady duo, made some pleasant sounds which added to the warm and cosy atmosphere.

However, we sat down at our pre booked table and subsequently ordered, as a shared starter, the Mezze Platter. This consisted of Humous - which was in reality nothing more than Mashed Chick Peas. Adjoining this was some shop bought Yoghurt, cold pitta Bread and the worst most hideous bread crumbed Mushrooms with Feta Cheese allegedly on "Skewers" which in reality were cocktail sticks all of which had been deep fried. I have not been presented with such rubbish since the bad old culinary 1960's!

For the main course we ordered Duck, but we were told that all the Duck had sold out - this is Friday night.

My Partner then ordered the Fish Chips with Mushy Peas - the fish was good enough and surprising well cooked, but the Mushy Peas were hard as bullets and had been burnt - Chef, how do you burn Mushy Peas?

I ordered the Steak and Ale Pie - only to be told that in fact the pie was now Steak and Mushroom. This duly arrived and the pastry had been badly burnt on top which I cut off, the contents of the pie were acceptable, but the Chips were cold and tasteless, must've been the same oil that had been used for the Mezze!

When the time came for puddings, the two lades with us, tried to order a pudding, only to be told that three of the puddings were not available! We left!!

I am told by Trip Advisor that a number of people follow my reviews. Whomsoever, is the Chef here needs to understand that Britain has come a very long way with food in the last 20 years. This Chef has single handedly set that process back. I was embarrassed to find out that the people on the next table where French - God forbid, this was their last meal in England before getting on the ferry.

The waitresses were pleasant polite and efficient, except constantly asking "is everything OK guys?" It was almost as if they were expecting someone to say, "No its not!"

Next time you are hungry and see this place, drive by; sooner or later they will get the message and sack the perpetrator of this food murder.

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
TheOldThatch, Owner at The Old Thatch, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Mr Goff,
As the owner of the Old Thatch, I am greatly saddened to read your review – we do not like to let any of our customers down or provide substandard food, particularly in this case as you were recommended by your hosts to join them as you say for a good night at the pub. I am aware that they enjoyed their food, please would you both accept our sincere apologies although I would have much preferred to have done this in person on the night had we been made aware of the issues.

I must respond to some of the points you have made. As a recently acquired family run business, we strive hard to make sure that all our customers have the best possible experience when visiting our premises and, on most occasions as you can see from our previous reviews, we get it right and will continue to strive to improve wherever we can. Your comments are valuable to us and appreciated.

Although this will bear no relevance to yourself or is an excuse of any kind, our head chef was involved in a very serious and well publicised car accident and is very lucky to have survived. As she is now off work recovering, this has left us with one member of our kitchen team down.

On the night you visited us, we were extremely busy in the restaurant with over 90 people eating (many of whom were walk ins) including 4 large parties, We had had a far busier than expected day which also included a wedding lunch. Although this is absolutely no excuse for poor or below standard food, it does explain why some of the dishes were not available as our food is cooked from fresh and to order.

With regards to the staff 'constantly asking' if everything was ok with your meals, we do this a couple of times during your meal to make sure that everything is to your satisfaction. If there is a problem with a meal, we would rather take the relevant action to put the matter right immediately if we can, however, the customer must bring the problem to our attention otherwise there is nothing we can do. I was made aware during the evening that there was a problem with mushy peas on your table and this was clearly unacceptable and should never have been served to your wife.

Having spoken at length to the waitresses that served your table, nothing was said by anyone in your party about the mezze platter or your homemade pie. We have however taken on-board your comments and will make sure that these points are improved upon for the future.

I have to repeat that I and the team at the Old Thatch are saddened by your review and perhaps somewhat surprised as at no time during your meal did you or any of your party give any indication of the disappointment that is reflected in your review. To say that you left after learning that three of the desserts were unavailable is slightly inaccurate and misleading as you paid your bill – with no complaints – and went back to your table and happily sat and finished your wine. Your party actually thanked my assistant manager Fran for a lovely evening and left a generous tip which we find rather confusing, given the review you have since left us.

We have contacted your hosts and expressed our sincere apologies for letting them down who have in turn, assured us that they shall be returning to the Old Thatch in the near future.

Best regards,
Mark Lindsell - Proprietor
Malaga
“nice pub for a night out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Went out on a very rainy night and found the Pub full and the landlady explained she had a party of 20 turn up without a reservation and we may have to wait to be served..It never happened.We were greeted by Richard straightaway and sat down by Emma, both cheerful and friendly. Our order was taken immediately (four people) drinks came within minutes and starters arrived within ten minutes - stuffed mushrooms and we shared a Camembert.Main course also arrived on time piping hot and very tasty. Excellent service good food well worth going out in the rain. Thank you Emma for a repartee with humour and intelligence.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Devon
“Group off eight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Last night we ate at the Old Thatch, a wonderful meal was had by all. The staff very friendly Carol was our waitress for the evening what a character lovely lady.

The food excellecent will certainly visit again.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dorchester, United Kingdom
“Staff and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

The service and staff are very friendly and are always happy to adapt the set menu to accommodate personal choice. The food is well cooked and attractively served.

• Visited September 2012