“Lovely place but bring lots of clothes.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Osmington Holiday Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Osmington Mills
Osmington Holiday Park
You added Osmington Holiday Park to your Saves list
Osmington Mills DT3 6HB, England   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
wales
“Lovely place but bring lots of clothes.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We've just returned from a weeks holiday at this lovely holiday park which is beautifully kept and very central to all that Dorset has to offer.
Our caravan was spotlessly clean and well equipped and the surrounding area was very pretty.
The outdoor pool was lovely and warm and the childrens adventure playground very well thought out.Although we didn't use the facilities in the bar and restaurant,the menus were varied and very reasonably priced.
My only gripe-and it is a fairly big one-is that there are no laundry facilities available which I found very surprising.We travelled as a party of 4-my OH,our daughter and our 19 month old grandson.All that was available to us was a rack to hang out of the kitchen window-not much point in poor weather, and the heated towel rail in the shower room.When I enquired at reception I was told that they would wash and dry a load.ie a black bags worth for 5 pounds,but this was really impracticable.
The other thing I would have liked to have seen was a recycling facility regarding the rubbish-we,re avid recyclers at home and I got quite miffed at having to throw everything out regardless.
Otherwise,we had a lovely time,even though I haven't stopped washing clothes since we returned!

Room Tip: All caravans look lovely
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Pontyclun, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

A lovely location and not too big a site. All the staff we encountered were very pleasant and helpful. We opted for a 'Birch' caravan because the layout seemed to give a little more space which it did but the bedrooms and bathroom were very, very cramped. The shower was ok but would have been a lot better without the pre-moulded seat built in which didn't leave much room to stand up. Even though it was so small the bathroom could be accessed from either the hallway or the double bedroom - cute!

The layout of the living area and kitchen suited us as there was more room to move around -which was useful as my husband is partially-sighted. The caravan was obviously an older model as the padding in the seats was well worn but it was nice and clean and well cared for.

The site itself is well set out and has good tarmac roads and parking areas alongside each unit. It would benefit from better street lighting, especially as the lights that were there seemed to be obstructed by trees - a good torch would have been an assett which we'll remember for next time. Yes - would definitely return again.!

For a small site the facilities are excellent. The Country Club is very good with plenty of seating in various areas incluing a restaurant side if you wish to eat in. As we were there in May the live entertainment was only on Friday, Saturday & Sunday and, unfortunately, the audience amounted to 12 on one night and 6 on another but the entertainers soldiered on and gave us a good show. We had a couple of take-away meals from the Country Club which were ok and prices were similar to other pub meals in the area. The Country Club looked out onto the swimming pool - which was well used as the weather was glorious whilst we were there - and also onto the childrens play area which was very popular with the little ones.

The location suited us being central to the attractions we wanted to visit.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

We stayed in a log cabin for a week in June 2011 and loved it that much we booked to go back again in June 2012 upon checking out.

I'll admit at first I was wary. I had never been on a typical British holiday and like the snob I can be, wasn't optimistic. My partner, on the other hand, was very much looking forward to it as he had been here many years ago and had several very happy family holidays as a child. (Although he says it has changed since then - but for the better!)

When we arrived we were shown to our cabin. Although the check in time says 4pm, we arrived about 2:30pm and were still able to access this. The view was INCREDIBLE. You could sit on the decking at the front and look over a big field (with several deer in, if you catch them at the right moment) and out into the sea. It was absolutely spectacular.

Just outside the cabins there are hundreds of tiny rabbits bounding about, everywhere you went throughout the place they were sat on the grass nibbling away. It was very sweet.

There was also a phesant there when we stayed, who would come up on the balcony and stare at us through the window until we gave him bread. I got the fright of my life the first morning when I pulled back the curtains and he was there staring at me! I soon got used to him though. If you ignored him, he'd just go across to the next cabin to try his luck there.

The cabin itself had three bedrooms, one double, one twin, and one bunk, so could sleep 6 people. It has a bathroom with a nice deep bath, and also a second toilet just up the corridor. We actually had to buy our own bath mat because there wasn't one, but as each cabin is privately owned I'd expect each to be different.

The kitchen had a good sized fridge, a 4 hob cooker and pretty much everything you'd have in your own home. You do however have to bring your own washing up liquid etc, but for the first night we were left a little sachet of the stuff and a couple of sponges.

The tv (which was only watched really over breakfast) had freeview which was good when looking for something more relaxing than Jeremy Kyle in the morning.

The on-site shop had everything we needed and at quite reasonable prices too. Also got a few little toys for my youngest family members from here. The shop also stocks buckets, spades, rubber rings etc for by the pool or on the beach.

The bar and restaurant was very nice to sit in, but I cannot comment on the food as we didn't eat here. We did have a few drinks though and although the young lad behind the bar told me they were out of Disaronno (to which we pointed out the full bottle behind him) they were very enjoyable - if ever so slightly more expensive than most places.

The pool I believe was heated. Luckily for us, we went when the weather was fantastic so actually got to use it on one occasion! It was very busy and there aren't many beds but there is a huge grassy area you can lay your towel on which was more than enough for us - I find that more comfortable than a bed anyway. There is also a shallow bit for the children which looking around they seemed to love!

There is also a playground for children and as big kids ourselves whilst it was tempting we refrained.

Its about a ten minute drive into Weymouth so is lovely and peaceful but not too remote, but if you ever wanted a meal out that wasn't that distance there are several pubs in Osmington.

If you go out of Osmington Mills and turn left down the hill you'll come to the Smugglers Inn. I absolutely adored this place, good food, good drinks, fantastic view, quaint little place, and complimentary apples. I don't think I need to say any more, but definately make sure you visit here at least once. TIP: This can be accessed from the field behind, so if you're staying in a log cabin hop over the fence and walk through the field instead, which'll bring you out round the back of the pub.

On the subject of the field if you go to the bottom there is a nice path you can follow along the coastline, which eventually takes you to another pub where you can have a quick one before the walk back. We spotted some nice birds on our walk, and also saw a couple of snorklers in the sea below - very brave!

The beach behind Osmington Mills is a pebble beach so not ideal for sunbathing but its a lovely little walk, and if you do want to sit in the sun theres lots of grassy patches on the hill down to it.

Sorry for going on so long - I had so many lovely things I wanted to say about the place, and I can't wait to return in a couple of weeks time. But shhh don't tell too many people - I don't want to have to pay through the roof in 2013!!

Room Tip: If you're in the log cabins, ask for one with a sea view.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Poole, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Osmington Holiday Park last summer and had a lovely relaxing break.

The area is nice and quiet, and you feel right in the countryside. Some days and nights we wanted a bit more activity so headed in Weymouth as it’s not far away – about 15 mins in a taxi or there is a bus.

The holiday park itself has a restaurant and bar which we went in for food and a drink most nights. It also has a games room so enjoyed playing pool together.

During the day we lazed around the outdoor pool, which was heated so great for those not quite so warm summer days! We also walked around the area, went to Corfe Castle and went down to the beach.

The accommodation was nice too. It had everything we needed and was comfortable. We also had great views from where we were located.

We are thinking of going again this year as we loved it so much last year.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

We stayed at Osmington Holiday park last year and are considering going again because we had such a good time. The park itself is in a lovely rural location - its very woody and green and also peaceful. The park had had a refurb and was very smart. They also have a nice outdoor pool there which is nice and warm. In the evenings we enjoyed going to the Sumugglers Inn which is a fantastic pub just a couple of minutes walk from the park - great food there and so close to the sea.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Osmington Holiday Park? Share your experiences!