“Laid back chic” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Bull Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bridport
The Bull Hotel
You added The Bull Hotel to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34 East Street, Bridport DT6 3LF, England   |
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Bridport
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Surrey
“Laid back chic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2008

My partner and I recently had our wedding at The Bull and had a wonderful weekend. We chose the Bull as the venue for our wedding because we wanted to get married somewhere that was a little different to the usual corporate, swirly carpeted, unstylish venues that normally offer wedding packages. The Bull really did give the wow-factor. A stunning ballroom, the uber cool Venner bar and pretty flowery courtyard with vintage style bunting and fairy lights had me hooked as soon as we saw it on our initial visit and the food is fantastic – all our guests commented on how good it was. Plus on the actual wedding day the staff worked so hard to make our special day perfect and we really couldn’t fault the service.

I stay in a lot of hotels for work and The Bull is quite unlike any other place that I’ve visited and that’s why I liked it. Quirky, rustic and most definitely laid back, it really is a very unique place. If you want a swanky, luxe, modern hotel then the Bull may not be for you - part of its charm is that it is an old building and the ‘shabby chic’ décor really reflects this perfectly. The service isn’t slick like you’d get from a hotel in London, or another big city, but it’s friendly and efficient – you’re in Dorset after all, not the metropolis!

I notice that some people have made unfavourable comments about the car park. We didn’t find it a problem. Yes it’s situated behind the hotel and does mean that you enter the Bull from the back entrance, but so what! We stayed at more expensive hotels than the Bull on our honeymoon and they didn’t even have car parks, we had to spend a fortune in municipal car parks. So at least the Bull offers a free, safe and convenient place to leave your car.

As all our friends and family stayed at the hotel during the wedding weekend, I was able to have a peek at all the bedrooms. All are beautifully decorated with real creative flair - quirky wallpaper, antiques, good quality bedding, flat screen TVs etc etc. Some rooms are very small and some are huge, but I think the prices reflect this. Just don’t be disappointed if you choose to pay less and get a small room. Some of the rooms do face onto the main street in Bridport and you do get a bit of residual noise from the road plus the market does set up right outside the hotel on Saturday mornings, but you’re right in the centre of a bustling market town so it’s no more than you’d expect! But if you’re wanting a room with total silence then ask for one overlooking the courtyard.

There are a few tweaks that I think could be made to some rooms, but don’t let these put you off staying, they won’t ruin your weekend break by any means. While the bedrooms are perfect, some of the bathrooms could do with a little more work. A few of the antique roll top baths require re-enamelling and the vinyl flooring that’s in some of bathrooms should be upgraded – scrubbed wooden floors or ceramic tiles would give a better impression. And rooms that are on the first floor facing out onto the main road could do with slatted blinds instead of black out blinds to give a degree of privacy without having to block out the light. I’m also not convinced by the Neal’s Yard toiletries in the bathrooms – I’d prefer mini-sized bottles that I know only I have used. However, these aside, if you want a relaxing weekend break by the seaside with great food and a comfy bed, plus a unique, quirky location then do give The Bull a try. We’ll definitely go back.

• Liked — The decor in all the bedrooms
  • Disliked — Not enough privacy in front facing rooms without pulling the blinds down
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)

Been to The Bull Hotel? Share your experiences!