“Very friendly, warm and welcoming hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Bridge House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   115 East Street, Bridport DT6 3LB, England   |
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Bridport
Exmouth, United Kingdom
“Very friendly, warm and welcoming hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was welcomed on my arrival by a lovely lady called Ettie. She really was most helpful and ensured that the whole of the visit was very pleasant. Sam, who worked in the wine bar was also very friendly and chatty. The hotel was clean, the breakfast was superb and the staff went out of their way to make me comfortable. The bedroom was lovely and warm and the bath towels were very large and soft.

Room Tip: Double deluxe was very nice
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Wellington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is a small, family run, hotel less than 5 minutes walk from the centre of Bridport with private parking adequate for all guests.

Despite arriving at 2.30 on a Sunday afternoon reception was warm and efficient and we very soon installed in our room.This was well furnished and warm with heating levels controlled by guests. Comfortable lighting to read by and seating for 3 people.Unlike many hotels with minimal, hard, uncomfortable seating these seats are well upholstered and asking to be used.

Public areas are also well designed and attractive with a warm, residents' only lounge. A well stocked bar offering a wide range of wines as well the usual spirits.

A full english breakfast is on offer with all ingredients sourced locally. The smoked fish is particularly recommended. Taking full advantage of breakfast we did not need or wish, to eat again until the evening.

Only two adverse comments. The hotel does not provide a full restaurant service although snacks and light meals will be provided on request.This is made clear on their website and is no real disadvantage since excellent cafes and restaurants are within 5 minutes walk.
Secondly, rooms at the front face the High St and could be noisy although we were not disturbed (Sunday night )

In all ,excellent value. We could not have been more comfortable or better treated.

Room Tip: Light sleepers might find it adviseable to choose a room away from the road.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Had to stay at very short notice in Bridport, tried this end of the high street establishment. I was welcomed and dealt with efficiently, amicably and the whole experience was excellent. Single room £80-ish, no doubt on line in advance would have been a bit cheaper.. Hotel is compact, clean, comfortable and the room was smallish, big enough, lots of towels, toiletries, small shower cubicle, but frankly fine for one night's stay. Generous supply of coffee, tea, milk, chocolate drink supplies for an in room drink. The bed was comfy, noiseless overnight although proximate to the High Street. Parking alongside in a tight carpark, but I managed in a big 4x4. Complimentary tea with my colleague in the lounge on arrival, he being a Bridport resident. Staff really were charming and super efficient. Breakfast was good, starter buffet for cereals and juice, lots of fruit available too, then a hot main menu....kippers to be ordered the night before! The quality of bacon, sausage was excellent, service good and a cafetierre of coffee to boot. All in all I'll be back when I have cause to visit Lyme R again.

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2014

We stayed at the Bridge House Hotel last night, for one night. On arrival we were warmly greeted by a lovely lady called Ettie, who was helpful, friendly and a genuinely lovely person. Our room (2) was clean, comfortable and had lots of character. Being young spritely things, the stairs weren't an issue, more an excuse to burn off the generous breakfast!! (very yummy, well presented and lots of it!). We are lucky to live in Dorset and will most definitely be booking into this hotel again. Thank you! Rebekah and Barry

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Oxfordshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2014

Before I launch into what will be a very negative review, let me say that I’m not going to hide behind the veil of anonymity. I’m a member of the cabaret group, Fascinating Aïda, and I seem to be the main contributor to TripAdvisor when we’re on tour. Which is how we came to be staying here overnight.

Firstly, the cost. We paid £620 for six rooms. That’s the upper end of our budget and we consider that expensive. For that, we expect some standards and a smile.

Secondly, the décor. Dreary, 1970s boarding house chic. Textured wallpaper, dingy carpets, poly-something sheets.

Thirdly, the internet. Pretty rubbish. I couldn’t get internet in my first room. “It must be your computer!” said the lady who booked us in. “I’ve got full signal on my phone standing out here in the corridor!” Yes dear, but my very reliable MacBook was receiving the internet perfectly well at home that morning, and call me old-fashioned, but I don’t want to stand in the corridor to get internet access… so I changed rooms. Even then, the speed was torpid and occasionally vamoosed completely.

Fourthly, the attitude. We arrived back after our show to find the nice barman cashing up but happy to serve a drink. “You’ll have to take it to your rooms, I’m afraid, as I’m locking up here.” The girls asked if they could take it to the lounge and drink it there. “Sorry, I’ve got to lock that up as well.” I really hate that – do they take their guests for potential thieves or latter day Keith Moon imitators?

Fifthly, the attitude. We’d had a long conversation at reception on arrival about breakfast timing. They had agreed to extend breakfast time as we work late, and I was under the impression that breakfast was AT 10.00am, not finishing at 10.00. Thus I arrived at 10.04 for breakfast, four minutes after the time appointed, to find an empty room and a reluctant waitress. Yes, my mistake, but an honest one. I explained this several times to the waitress as pleasantly as I could, and that I didn’t want anything much, no toast, just a sausage and a couple of slices of bacon, anything they could manage. A bearded man (Chef) came in, rolled his eyes and said, sighing, he supposed he could do something. Fifteen seconds later, he appeared with a hot plate and my bacon and sausage, proving they were ready cooked after all and in a warming over… so why the flipping fuss?

Sixthly, the bloody attitude. We got the checkout time wrong. It’s easy to do, and normally we’re told on reception – and in fairness, we didn’t ask. So at precisely 11.17 am, when we should have been trundling out of Bridport in the Caravelle, I was packing and my colleague was in the shower. The bearded man appeared at my door and told me very sharply and unpleasantly that I needed to get out. He then went to my colleague’s room and hammered on her door. When she arrived, dripping, clad only in a towel, he shouted at her, “You have to get out now! Vacate! These rooms have to be cleaned! Get out! Vacate!”

There really is no need for that. Mistakes happen, they can be easily rectified with an apology. Our tour manager went in to complain because my colleague was so upset. He met a member of staff, who said that the bearded man had gone. She was genuinely upset herself, nearly in tears, and he got the distinct impression that old Beardie (apparently the owner) was quite a tyrant. We thought him a bully.

So there you have it. Over £100 per head to be locked out of the sitting room and shouted at in the daytime in a dingy boarding house?? I don’t think so, do you?

Dillie Keane, Fascinating Aïda.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Bourne End, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2014

You can lose your shirt at the Bridge House Hotel....and they will phone you up and get it back to you with a smile and a joke. I later found I'd left a phone charger too...which they posted the next day...couldn't be more helpful. So: lovely people, comfy beds and great breakfasts. Our stay was easy and enjoyable and we were made to feel very welcome. This is not a boutique hotel with artfully placed pebbles and other bits lifted from the Chesil; it is, unpretentious, friendly and comfortable..enjoy.

Room Tip: If you are tall ask for a room on the 1st floor not the attic ...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Dongguan, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2014

This hotel owes more than a little to the comedy series Fawlty Towers - including the new trainee waiter

A convenient location, decently appointed (albeit without a lift) and serving food to a high standard, the establishment nonetheless lacks either the charm of a good B&B (of which there are plenty nearby) or the professionalism of a good hotel

Frankly, the accomodation was nothing special, the staff (one of whom reeked of alcohol) would not be to everyone's liking, and the bathroom facilities (in room 2 at least) were at best rudimentary (lacking for instance a shower other than a mixer tap over the bath)

Dorset in general and Bridport specifically are fine destinations to visit, but we will not be staying in the Bridge House again; there is nothing specifically wrong with the place, but neither is there anything especially "right" about it, and given the premium pricing, we will probably try elsewhere next time

Room Tip: We didnt find room 2 - at the front on the top floor - especially noisy
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Bridge House Hotel? Share your experiences!