“Excellent price for prime location!” 3 of 5 stars

You added Royal Hotel to your Saves list
Royal Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Beech Road, Woolacombe EX34 7AB, England   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Woolacombe
“Excellent price for prime location!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Great price for the location
Friendly staff
Entertainment in evenings
Perfect for us for a night
We were lucky enough to have a sea view
Food is nice apparently but we didn't get chance to try it
Would definitely stay here again:-)

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Kingsbridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

The hotel has great views, fields and the sea from the balcony.
The staff were friendly and helpful.
The breakfast was plentiful and on a par with similar hotels (which is not a general recommendation!!) - a buffet of hot food which was OK (the sausages, like most hotels, were lacking in meat content but the rest of if was OK). The cereal were very cheap (more Aldibix than Weetabix) and the fruit juice was very watery.
However....
The room was shabby - worn carpets, mouldy tiles in the bathroom, creaking floorboards, peeling wallpaper, spongy bed and a balcony that was possibly not safe (the floor of it was undulating and the wall between our balcony and next door was missing as it looked like it had been removed.
This is a budget hotel (I wonder what it was like when it was built?) and, as such, I am sure that there will be guests who will find it all OK and similar to what they are used to in other resorts but for anyone more discerning it is a very run down hotel and in urgent need of a major refurbishment. Judging by how many people were staying the owner should have enough cash to address the issues but I doubt that they will as the cost will be very high.
I have stayed in worse hotels but, like them, once you have experienced them you vote with your feet and never return.
If you want a cheap hotel and can put up with it being shabby then you might find it acceptable but I will not return.

UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

.....before he sells up. This hotel is without a doubt THE worst I have visited (as many have, I've stayed in hundreds all over the world, and the same in the UK alone) and I'm merely going to repeat the reviews already left.

I estimate that this place was completed in the early 70's and believe me when I say it hasn't seen a paintbrush since. It really is an old, old, neglected building. Thinking about it logically however, if you owned something of this size in this location, that had booking after booking, would you be overly bothered by bad reviews?! Nah......

I won't name the Director (easily found online out of curiosity) but I almost take my hat off to him. Buy a huge hotel, charge a low price which guarantees occupancy and with property prices rising almost daily, wait.....wait.....wait.....until one of the major hoteliers or property developers offers the right amount of money to buy it. Ker-ching! £££££££££££!

In the meantime, DO NOT be fooled by the amazing photos on various websites. They were either taken when the hotel was opened so are over 40 years old, OR they're Photoshopped. The rooms DO NOT look like any of them! Please, please, please book somewhere else even if it stretches your budget beyond what you can afford. You will groan when you walk through the door and see what you've paid for.

The bathroom whilst clean, is as basic as you can get but with stains everywhere. The floors aren't just creaky, they're CREAKY. You disturb those below and you're disturbed by those above. The carpets, well I dread to think what's living in THOSE! The poor cleaners do an amazing job working with very little. Our room had huge areas where people had peeled off the embossed floral wallpaper.

The welcome from the Reception lady was very friendly, although I was disappointed with the stuffy, surly attitude from the elderly chap when we checked out. Even Travelodge ask if everything was ok with the stay, but this gentleman didn't.......probably because he's tired of people listing things that are wrong!!

Seriously people, try elsewhere. You work hard for your money and spending it here is a waste, in the true sense of the word. My final word goes to Woolacombe. Er, there's nothing there!

Torquay, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

This hotel is budget but in today's society this is far below budget. Carpets falling apart, the TV from the dark ages, no remote control, furniture dated, wallpaper patched and the bathroom looked like it was out of the 1970's holiday camp. As for the balcony you would question is it safe, unmanaged, unmaintained.... Rotten wood around the balcony doors, a gust of wind would blow them out of the frame it was that rotten . As for complimentaries ie soap etc where was it? Very little home comforts in the hotel making it look derelict in places! As for the reception staff, rude, ignorant unfriendly and spent more time eating crisps. I agree with other reviews, pictures are stained on the walls, the hotel looks dated and needs major work. Yes the website is deceiving especially as it said last room when the hotel was over half empty. As for the guest information folder, information was out dated ie 14 years old and quotes unfinished. Absolutely terrible place and anyone saying how nice it is, is either ancient or needing cataract surgery. The view was good, and they had the audacity to charge extra £12 for the privilege. Disgusting place to say the least, I would never visit again. Foul, foul, foul...... After planning our daughter wedding, we wanted somewhere to relax for a few days, this is so bad, that you had to go out and sat in the surroundings of other hotels. Never mind 10 out of 10 try -10 out 10.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
Clevedon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

My husband and I took a break just over a year ago at the Royal Hotel, we choose it as it was reasonably priced and we knew the area well, there is also an indoor pool which I fancied using. We choose to have our meal there on the night. The room was quite dull, very shabby carpets and a let down, although the view from our balcony was wonderful so we tried to ignore the negative things especially as my husband was going through treatment at that time, and we just wanted a stress free time. We did decide to stay for the extra night although when we came to have our evening meal we were very disappointed. It was a buffet style meal, so you could help yourself to whatever you wanted, but as a semi vegetarian I was very limited, it reminded me of a school dinner hall. The breakfast was no better, very limited and no vegetarian choices. We felt disappointed and quite hungry after our stay. I never even got to use the pool as it was midweek and it is sometimes let out to nearby schools. Although our stay there wasn't good, there were quite a few coach parties there, I think it appealed to them for some strange reason. At the end of the day , the hotel was very cheap for that area and you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Always check what is available on the menu because if you are looking for a special meal, the hotel...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

I booked 3 nights and left after the first night due to the condition of the hotel. When I checked out, I told the man at the reception desk about the condition of the hotel, he got very defensive and aggressive. The pictures on the hotels website are very deceiving, do not be drawn in by them. I will be contacting them demanding a refund.

• Stayed June 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Stayed a night with a friend in a couples room. First thing you notice from the outside is its very old fashioned. From the architecture to the colours (and peeling paintwork). Inside, the carpets and wallpaper reminds you you're back in the 80s. Maybe it's intentional as we noticed a lot of OAPs customers. When we entered our room first thing we noticed was a suspicious smell. Like urine plus detergents. We didn't even put down our things we went straight to the windows. The windows were thin and heavy almost like they might fall off and break if the wind blew any stronger. So we were very careful with them in case we were liable for damages. In the room there was a huge TV set (those old CRT ones), a desk, two bedside tables and lamps as usual in any couples hotel. Also clean towels but no shampoo/shower cream or soap! Also no hairdryer. Apparently a deposit of £5 is needed and they're obtainable at the reception. The bathroom was dark and has no ventilation. So make sure, if you're about the stay there in a couples room, you keep the room windows and bathroom door open if you don't want to suffocate. The bathtub and basin had nasty brown water stains and the mirror had brown rusting spots over the surface. The taps were as old as the time I last saw them at age 10 which was some 20 years ago. The toilet was probably the only clean thing in there. It still has bleach inside it and was spotlessly clean. However at times the flush handle failed to reset to standby position (again, we thought we had broken it at first ). Website claims there's WiFi but the signal is non existent as soon as you leave the reception area. In Woolacombe, mobile data signal is also very poor, if it exists at all. So be warned you may not have Internet access at all! All negative points could be forgiven since price is low. Including breakfast then price was £60. But for this price and same service we had a near perfect experience back in Bournemouth! The only highlights of the stay was plentiful car parking space, friendly staff and excellent buffet style breakfast food. Hotel is within walkable distance from beach (approx 8-10 mins). Perhaps it's time for upper management to start thinking about giving this hotel it's second coat of paint and learn that carpets aren't as expensive as they were in 80s so can be quite cost effective to replace!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!