“Delicious food” 4 of 5 stars

Description: Part of the Woolacombe Bay Hotel
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Delicious food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

The food here was very, very good.

That being said, my husband and I never dreamed we would need to book in advance. We probably should have. But when we walked into a completely empty restaurant at opening time (6pm), we were asked whether we had a booking. When we said no, we were given an absolutely shocked look and felt completely chastised for not having thought ahead. (And the reality is, we'd just hiked several miles. We weren't thinking ahead - we were just hungry, and the options for vegetarian cuisine in Woolacombe are not many. And yes, we'd showered and changed and made ourselves look presentable.)

The correct response to our situation would have been: "I'm sorry, I can't seat you right now, but I do have an opening in half an hour. Can I book you in for then?"

Thankfully, a very astute waiter took over and booked us in for 6:30, just half an hour later. We went and had a pleasant walk around Woolacombe while we waited... and when we returned, we were still the only ones in the restaurant. The waiter who stepped in to save the day was obviously very experienced and is the only reason we bothered to stick around.

I would recommend this restaurant very highly for the food. However, I think the staff needs a few lessons in how to be a bit more welcoming to their customers. We are, after all, the reason they're in business. Even if they had been completely booked and couldn't have served us at all, there would have been a much better way to deal with the situation rather than making us feel like idiots.

Visited July 2012

leamington spa England
“Do not order the "beef sandwiches"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My husband and I went for a bar snack here - he ordered a crab sandwich and I had a what was supposed to be beef one. The sandwich was cut in half and the other half cut into 2. I started to eat one of the smaller pieces, all that was in it was fat and grissle. The same for the other, which had a morsel of beef surrounded by fat and grissle. We called a member of staff over. I said this is not a beef sandwich - he said he would check with the "chef" if it should look like this! He returned and asked if I wanted something else, I said no please take it away and take if off the bill. He came over with the Bill and said he had taken half off as I had eaten some of it! I said no I wasn't paying for it it was unedible. He walked off! My husband asked for the Manager, he still continued to walk off. Eventually the Bar Manager came and said she had been "summoned"!! I said if they hadn't had any beef they should have taken it off the menu. She replied I am sure we do have beef..... well why was I given fat, grissle and dripping! she took the sandwich off the bill. No apologies!!! This was a 4 star hotel but acting like "bob's cafe". I just wish I had taken a photo of the sandwich to show on here....

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Somerset
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Ate here last week and couldn't fault it. My party all had different starters and mains, and we all thoroughly enjoyed our food. Like the earlier reviewer Hseeingtheworld I asked for chips with my rack of lamb, but unlike Hseeingtheworld I was not charged extra for the chips. Staff very efficient and pleasant. The food is not cheap, but I don't mind paying more for quality. I will return very soon. We also had a 10% discount for ordering before 7pm.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“poor over rated!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

very poor food,terrible value for money,portions so small its rediculous,i know a childs meal is just that,but the size off the fish is just an insult!!.i had camenbare,which was ok,but didnt even come with a side salad,and for 13.00,thats just not on.sederment in the wine,which to be fair,was appologised for,and taken off the bill.poncy,overrated place in my opinion,staff very pleasant tho,so a tip was left,purly due to the service.would bother again,im sticking to my hidden gem,of the cafe on barracane beach!!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Delicious cream teas!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Excellent cream tea with warm fresh scones, decent jam and lashings of clotted cream served in lovely surroundings - we ate in the atrium.

Visited October 2011