After spending the last 6 or 7 years holidaying in Cornwall (chalets, statics, B&B,tents) we were a little wary of what to expect for our maiden tenting experience in North Devon.
After a lot of browsing on the Internet we plumped for Woolacombe Sands Holiday Park for is great reviews and its close proximity to the beach.
After the lengthy trip down the M6, M5 and then the A361 from Morecambe, our first impressions of the site was WOW. Coming over the brow of the hill and dropping down the road to the park, you are greeted with a view of the beach, sea and Lundy Island in the distance.
As we can never be to sure of the traffic when you are travelling down the length of the country we arrived in masses of time (11:15) we took a punt and turned up to reception expecting the usual response "it clearly states on the booking form, arrival after 14:00". However the actual response of "if your pitch is ready please feel free to set up" was a nice welcome surprise.
The pitch size was ample, water and refuse close by and the showers were only a short walk away. The only thing that let the site down was the need for the showers to be updated. Our block was in need for a bit of repair and the bin in the gents block hadnt been emptied the whole week we had stopped there.
As the site is built into the side of a valley, it is hard to imagine a pitch that doesn't carry a stunning view of the ocean.
Parking is a little steep in Woolacombe itself (£7 for the day) but the site has its own footpath direct to the beach and this is easily accessible in 15mins on foot.
The pool is ideal if you are not looking to go surfing everyday, and the kids loved their evening fix of Bingo in the bar..... even if we never came close to winning!! The shop is well stocked and reasonably priced too which is surprising for a holiday park.
All in all we have thoroughly enjoyed our maiden tenting experience in Woolacombe and it certainly won't be the last time we stay in Devon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Woolacombe Sands Holiday Park offers you everything you could wish for from a Self-Catering family holiday. Set in the beautiful rolling coastal countryside with spectacular views overlooking the sea and Woolacombe's fabulous golden sands - one of the few beaches to achieve both the Blue Flag and Premier Resort awards - it's fun for all the family & we are the closest holiday park to the beach! Enjoy our indoor & outdoor heated swimming pools, or club with daily & nightly live entertainment, crazy golf, new children's park, football & basketball pitch, footpath to the beach & much more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity so you can book your Woolacombe Sands Holiday Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Woolacombe Sands Holiday Park Hotel Woolacombe
- Woolacombe Sands Holiday Park Devon