“Well appointed rooms, excellent meeting room and a good breakfast.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Tiverton Hotel

Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Tiverton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Woking, United Kingdom
“Well appointed rooms, excellent meeting room and a good breakfast.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

A group of six of us were travelling on business and hosted a very large public meeting in one of the Tiverton Hotel's rooms.

The meeting room was comfortable, a PA was provided and the bar at the back was appreciated by many. The room was also comfortable in terms of climate, a challenge for such a well-attended meeting. Unlike many venues these days, the room we used had windows all the way down one side providing valued daylight.

Our itinerary meant that I did not spend much time in what seemed to be a well presented, well appointed room - it was a shame it was a flying visit.

In the morning, breakfast was served in a nice dining room and the full English is to be recommended. All in all, a hotel I would return to with my wife as my business commitments did not provide the time to appreciate what the hotel had to offer.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
writerWestCountry, Owner at BEST WESTERN Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear RobBurberry,

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to post your review, we do find this service to be a great benefit to our guests and they value the feedback of others who have stayed with us before making their purchasing decision.

I'm delighted that you and your group had such a good time with us and my thanks in particular for your kind comments on our standard of food which I will pass on to the team concerned.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

296 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We have just spent two nights at the Best Western in Tiverton and are happy to recommend it. The hotel looks dated from the outside but we had an attractive superior double room on the ground floor, very comfortable with the usual facilities plus bathrobes. The bathroom was small but perfectly adequate, with a very good shower. There was no mini-bar, which would have been useful to keep water etc cold and no air-conditioning, which meant we were quite warm at night as the window doesn't open very far ( a security measure on the ground floor.)
The restaurant staff were excellent - efficient, friendly and helpful. We ate there on both evenings as the menu offered a choice of two or three courses at very reasonable fixed prices.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter a lot - even the rooms at the front, though near the road, are not noisy.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
writerWestCountry, Owner at BEST WESTERN Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear IHD,

Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review and for your kind comments on the hotel and our staff.

I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Rooms very service in restaurant non exsistent food very poor little choice staff not aware of what they are meant to do very very disappointed will stay again but will not eat here shame but certainly not value for monry

• Stayed August 2013
Dear 56c,

Thanks for your review and I'll share your comments with our restaurant team. I'm delighted that you say you will return and may I ask when you know your coming back to stay please contact me personally, I'd appreciate the opportunity to discuss the issues you raise.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Rhys
Cardiff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I couldn't disagree more with the previous reviewer, ('Real disappointment') as my stay, was, in general, a pleasurable experience. I stayed for two nights as part of an Edwards Coaches, (South Wales), Trains & Canals tour. My room, on ground level, was a family room containing both double and single beds which I had for sole usage. There was plenty of space, a more than adequate bathroom with numerous complimentary toiletries, a flat screen tv and the usual coffee/tea making facilities and a complimentary bottle of spring water. My one gripe is that the douvet was far too heavy for the current summer temperatures and a couple of sheets would suffice. The absence of air conditioning was also a drawback. Regarding the food, I wonder if the previous reviewer went to the same hotel as myself as I found it particularly delicious. Breakfasts, served buffet style were very tasty, (particularly enjoyed the greengages with the fresh fruit salad!) whilst the evening meals were most enjoyable. The bar was convivial and I had a pleasant surprise in that it served real ale, (very unusual in chain hotels!).Last but certainly not least, I found the staff most friendly and helpful and as I have mobility disability this was most appreciated. All in all, (except for the douvet problem), my stay was very enjoyable and I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
writerWestCountry, Owner at BEST WESTERN Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear PaddersCardiff,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

Just to pick up your point on the duvets, we have chosen a mid range tog and the advice received when we installed was that it should still be comfortable for guest in warm weather so I will pick that up with our suppliers, my thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I hope you had a safe journey home and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future and just to let you know we have some fantastic deals at the moment including a three night dinner bed and breakfast deal at £99 per person, please contact reception if you are interested.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Think of Tiverton.

Think of a Motel.

Imagine a destination for less well-to-do OAPs on a coach trip.

Welcome!

A decent location about 5 miles from the M5. Reception hopeless and didn't swipe credit card on arrival. No luck with food and drinks, then.

Suggest look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Aggiehols,

Thank you for taking the trouble to post a review however disappointing it was to read for everyone connected with the hotel. I place a great value to all customer feedback and whilst the vast majority of reviews we receive are complementary we have to accept we cannot please everyone all of the time.

We are primarily a corporate hotel serving the business community of Devon and have done so successfully for the past 15 years and during that time we have invested as a family in excess of £800,000 in developing and improving the hotel. We are also fortunate in having a team of great and committed people who work alongside us to look after our guests and have deservedly received awards from independent organisations who have recognised our gardens, great customer care ethics and facilities and we proudly sit as a good example of a mid market independent hotel.

We are also fortunate to have a large number of regular guests who support the hotel and we in turn value their feedback and listen to what they want before we implement change. This year we have moved our superior rooms to duvets and better quality toiletries and our currently improving the lighting in two of our popular meetings rooms. We have also changed our menus and have increased our range of wines and have plans to improve our linen offering throughout the hotel.

I am also a realist and recognise that sometimes we can get things wrong but I can assure you if we have then we go out of our way to put it right recognising that without long term customer support we have no business.

My apologies for not being able to meet your expectations on this occasion.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This hotel was a real let down. I visited in the heat of July and it was unbearable. The room didn't have air conditioning or any fans. As i was on the ground floor i didn't feel safe leaving the huge window open and it was like a sweat shop during the night.
The food was appalling and i couldn't eat the steak as it was like a piece of carpet. The poached eggs for breakfast were rock hard. A coffee costs £3.
Will never stay here again. It needs a complete refurb.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
writerWestCountry, Owner at BEST WESTERN Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Wildygirl,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and obviously I'm sorry that you felt let down on this occasion, I and my team are very disappointed that we couldn't meet your expectations.

Just to pick up on a couple of points, Best Western do have a standard for the number of fans each hotel must have available for their guests and during the recent heatwave we doubled the number of fans available but unfortunately we couldn't keep up with demand and as the local area ran out of fans for sale we couldn't obtain any more. We have looked into air conditioning but it simply is uneconomic at the present time when you take into account the number of times it's likely to be needed. We have however installed air conditioning in our restaurant and meeting rooms due to the number of people using those areas but at present we have plans to go further although this is kept under constant review.

I am also sorry that you had such a poor food experience on both dinner and breakfast the following morning and I have checked with my restaurant team who unfortunately have no record of any complaints for those occasions, I would simply advise that if you are unhappy with any aspect of your stay, please let us know and we will go out of our way to put things right.

I hope I can encourage you to think again about returning and if so please contact me personally and I would be happy to arrange your booking for you , in the meantime, thanks again for bringing these matters to my attention.

Yarmouth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

On a John o Groats to Lands End bike ride. Arrived in Tiverton with no reservations. Phone the booking line at 7:50pm...10 mins before it closed. Secured 4 rooms ...fantastic! Staff lovely and friendly, Hotel and rooms airy and spotless. Exmoor Bitter welcome! Food was all lovely, I had the Brixham Mussels, more than I could eat..amazing...extra bread no problem, the chef will stay until you are all done (we arrived late). The 1970's facade hides a really nice good value Hotel. Thank you so much!

Room Tip: Superior Double is huge, great desk...we weren't there on business but if you were ideal.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear allenjr,

Thanks for taking the trouble to write a review and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us particularly our food.

I hope you had a successful finish to your John o'Groats to Land's End bike ride, you may be interested to know that we are being used more and more for this activity as biking gets more popular and our facilities are becoming better known.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Rhys Roberts

Been to BEST WESTERN Tiverton Hotel? Share your experiences!