“Thank goodness for Izabella, Ben and Steph.” 2 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN Tiverton Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blundells Road, Tiverton EX16 4DB, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tiverton
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Thank goodness for Izabella, Ben and Steph.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I stay in this hotel on average 25 times a year, and I must say regrettably this was my worst stay yet. At dinner last night I was not very hungry so ordered only a bar meal. First I was brought the wrong meal, and then when I was brought the correct one, the minute steak was fatty, both overdone and pouring blood at the same time, and overpowered by cheese. The last four times I have eaten here the food has been substandard, I can only imagine they have a new chef. The other three times I must add, I ate in the a la carte restaurant. Food is cold, or warm at best, bland and steals are fatty.

The rooms, well normally I do not have a problem with, a hotel room is just that, and anyone complaining about the standard must realise this fact. However, last night I could hear every little sound from next door, from using plug sockets, to boiling the kettle and using the bathroom, from the other side, all I could hear was the tap running, which sounded so loud, I thought my tv had stayed on. To cap it all, my room was entered at 6.30am by a member of staff?? Yet to be confirmed, 'falling' through my door. Luckily the chain was on, and I was awake, or I would have had much more to say. At breakfast this morning, it was obvious Colin was on leave. I strode waiting to be shown to my seat, when members of staff saw me coming through the bar, and then I had to ask for my order twice!

On the upside the staff are polite, and friendly, and thankfully, as already stated, Ben and Steph were on reception on arrival, and Izabella this morning. They actually care, are polite, nothing is too much trouble, and they are always pleased to see you back.

Dean Martin

Rm 17

• Stayed January 2013
writerWestCountry, Owner at BEST WESTERN Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Deano175,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and obviously I and the whole team are disappointed with the comments regarding your last stay. We have a regular weekly meeting and I showed them your review and discussed where some aspects of your stay went wrong.

Firstly let me assure you it was a member of staff who entered your room in response to an alert from a guest who mistakenly gave our night manager the wrong room number, my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your food but I did want to assure you we have the same team and following our discussions this morning our chef is going back to our regular local meat suppliers to pass on your comments directly to them.

Looking at our reservations I am aware that you are currently booked to return next week and I've asked that reception call me on your arrival so I can convey our apologies and assurances in person.

I look forward to meeting you in person next week and the team are looking forward to showing you how welcome you are.

Rhys

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I spend most of my time on the road, and one place I always look forward to staying is the best western at Tiverton, great rooms, excellent service, food is always top notch and the staff always look after you big thanks to Amanda who works like a trojan.

Room Tip: Try and get an upgrade showers are awesome
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
writerWestCountry, Owner at BEST WESTERN Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Mr 123B,

Thanks for taking the trouble to write such a great review, I'm delighted your enjoyed your stay again and I will pass on your kind remarks to Amanda in our restaurant.

When you are planning to return do check our website which is the only way to check in on our exclusive deals.

I look forward to welcoming you back when you return.

Batley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Last minute booking again to stay in the area for the evening close to a next morning appointment.

Rang up main 0844 number who had to ring the hotel directly as it was after 4pm, and was offered bed and breakfast rate of £84.....no thanks

But the lovely girl on the phone noticed a "winter offer" and then offered me £41 including breakfast, which is a bargain, but a little naughty not to be offered this by the hotel directly, as someone else may have just accepted the original rate and been £40 out of pocket!

Room was at the back of the hotel which was a long trek, though I was offered help with my bags.

room had a double bed and a single bed in it, and as such wasa spacious room, with plenty of freebie shampoos etc thanks very much!!

Walls thin so could hear some noise, but once I was asleep this was not a problem.

Free WiFi advertised which I accessed, but it kept cutting off and reloading every 5 mins which was an absolute pain really, and also there were no 3 pin plug sockets next to the bed, only some strange european ones, which was a pain also.

Breakfast service was polite and quick, great selection of the "continental" help yourself and the cooked breakfast although on buffet style hot plates, it was served up for you by a member of staff, which was a nice touch.

Sausages are a key to how good a breakfast is and they looked proper.

At that rate would stay there every time. Some minor annoyances and niggles which if I had paid £80+ for the room I would have rated 3*, however considering the rate I paid then it was very good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear nedthewonderhorse,

Thanks for your review which was very fair and I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and you were able to take advantage one of our great offers which are available exclusively through our own website.

Just to pick up on your point on our free Wifi, without getting too technical, our system like most hotel systems these days is designed to limit each guests usage in order to offer everyone a comparable service. With the growth in popularity of smart phones and tablets, demand is outstripping supply and will continue to do so until our area moves over to fibre optic services which are due to reach us by the end of next year. So until then I'm afraid these frustrations will go on but we are committed to providing the best service we can for our guests in the meantime and we ask for our guests co-operation in the meantime.

Thanks again for staying and I look forward to meeting you on your return.

Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We have a regular monthly speaker-meeting at the Tiverton Hotel (over 150 of us), capped off with a big Christmas Lunch in December. The service is friendly, efficient and well deserving of 5 stars. Some 30 plus of us have lunch in the Gallery restaurant each month, and Carol and her staff have never failed to make us feel at home. And Wayne - who looks after our monthly meeting arrangements - works harder than anybody to ensure that all is correctly arranged. We are the Tiverton U3A, and we recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
writerWestCountry, Owner at BEST WESTERN Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear BerryLawson,

Thanks for your great review and we do appreciate your feedback particularly as you are regular visitors to the hotel.

Can I take this opportunity to thank you for your support and on behalf of everyone at the hotel wish all your members a Happy Christmas and a healthy New Year.

I look forward to meeting you next year.

Cullompton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Beware if you are taking a party to the restaurant for a set meal. The staff seem incapable of correctly equating their ordering hieroglyphics to who actually had two courses and who had three. At the third attempt, with the involvement of four members of staff, a correct bill was finally produced, but only because the ladies who lunched knew exactly what they had eaten and stood their ground. As exactly the same discussions needed to be held last Christmas because the bill was wrong, it begs the question how many other innocent, trusting parties have in fact paid over the odds. It wasn't as if the restaurant was busy. There was only one other party of 10 and a foursome dining. When asked for the bill prior to completion of the meal, we were told it would be at Reception. Therefore when we were ready to leave we expected it to be ready, it wasn't, and then the queries began. Good job the person paying didn't have a train to catch!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
writerWestCountry, Owner at BEST WESTERN Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Dear RosebudJ,

I'm sorry you felt dissatisfied with the way your party's bill was handled but having looked into the circumstances since you wrote your review in fairness to the hotel we provided a multi choice three course menu and your party of 21 were offered the option on the day to choose how many courses they wanted and we accepted individual payments which many restaurants simply wouldn't accept.

This naturally takes time to get the final account right, approximately 10 minutes, and we appreciate our clients goodwill in doing so. Our view is that its better to get the final account accurate for the benefit of all concerned and the team are unfailingly polite in doing so.

I am also happy to confirm we had in addition to your party in our restaurant, another two private functions in our suites on the day.

As I say, please accept my apology for not getting all aspects of your visit right, I do appreciate the feedback and I look forward to welcoming your party back in the future.

United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I joined a party of friends for a Christmass lunch earlier this week. There were thirteen of us all told (one wasn't able to join us) and we booked for 12.30, choosing our meal from the special menu provided. It loked extremely good - and the table was beautifully decorated with party poppers and balloons which scream,ed their way around the room, annoying other diners. So far so good. The meal, however, was disappointing. The starters took quite a while to arrive and the main courses took even longer. One of our number, a coeliac, had to wait a considerable time for her main and pudding courses. I had pork and am used to eating a reasonable amount. However, the three chunks which arrived swimming in gravy were too tough to cut with my knife - and the apple sauce had run out by the time it reached me. I also hankered for some wonderful crackling, the main reason for choosing pork, but that was lacking completely. My dessert, profiteroles, came swimming in some milky, creamy chocolate sauce which didn't inspire me at all and we finished our meal in the lounge bar with tea or coffee and mince pie, served with cold milk.

I certainly do not feel that I can recommend this hotel for its restaurant, and will not be going there again.

Room Tip: I can't. I did not stay there.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
writerWestCountry, Owner at BEST WESTERN Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear epicure57-11,

I'm sorry you found the lunch disappointing but I appreciate the feedback which I will take back to the team.

So far the feedback we have received and we go to all the tables after service has been very positive and whilst you don't make clear in your review if you have been before I hope you will come back so I can have an opportunity to meet you and I'm sure we can deliver an enjoyable occasion.

Thanks again and I look forward to meeting you in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

It's always a pleasure when expectations are exceeded. At £47 per night I wasn't expecting too much from the Tiverton Hotel but it certainly delivered. The reception staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough to help; the room was of a good size and nicely warm on a very cold night; the bed was comfortable and, despite some sort of function being held downstairs, there was no noise in the bedroom areas. All in all a very comfortable stay and I would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
writerWestCountry, Owner at BEST WESTERN Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Terry B,

Thanks for your review, I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and I'll pass on your kind comments to our reception team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your return.

Rhys Roberts

Been to BEST WESTERN Tiverton Hotel? Share your experiences!