“The Village Inn” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Thurlestone Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Thurlestone
Thurlestone Hotel
You added Thurlestone Hotel to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Thurlestone | Nr Kingsbridge, Thurlestone TQ7 3NN, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thurlestone
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Faversham, United Kingdom
“The Village Inn”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We have come to Thurlestone every year for the last 7, and eaten at The Village Inn at least twice during each stay. We booked a table for an evening meal on Sat 7th Sept 2013 and I am sorry to say were disappointed. The menu has been dumbed down from the previous high quality and varied dishes. The main menu now resembles a Brewers Fayre type offering, with many components probably bought in frozen. We ordered rib eye steaks medium rare. One was cooked perfectly, the other was well done. The replacement that eventually arrived was cooked correctly, but was sirloin. The answer was that there had probably been some confusion?!My wife had nearly finished her meal by the time the replacement arrived. The staff turnover including Pub managers has been pretty well yearly since we have visited, but always high calibre, friendly and professional. The staff last night were not. There was no feeling of welcome or engagement, and that was before the steak had gone back! We were given some reperation when we asked, the bill was reduced by £1 as this was the difference between sirloin and rib eye! The beers and wines were good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
JulieBaugh, Manager at Thurlestone Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Nick M,
I am so sorry you were disappointed with your meal at the Village Inn. The level of service you received was unacceptable and I am very grateful to you for letting me know. Please be assured that we listen very carefully to our guests’ feedback and follow it through so that, hopefully, these mistakes do not occur again.
After so many years of coming to Thurlestone area and enjoying your visits to the Village Inn I do hope this experience will not prevent you from trying us again in the future.
Best wishes, Julie Baugh, Hotel Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We were a party of us two grandparents, our son and his two boys of 12 and 9. They shared a wonderfully spacious family suite and our room was sea facing and really did have wonderful views of the bay and fields. It was a joy to have a large room ourselves.
Booking was easy - we were talked through the numerous options.
On arrival a genuine welcome from staff. There is a very happy atmosphere.
The hotel is so relaxed for the children but it does have a graciousness for us older guests!
Facilities can be seen online, suffice it to say that they exceeded gallery pictures.
Perhaps it's best to mention the touches that made the hotel outstanding for us:

Presence of the manager in both lounges and dining room to ask about service.
Dressing gowns and toiletries for children as well as adults, they were accorded every courtesy.
A light by the loo for the night!
Proper coat hangers that you could take off.
Suggestions for a captain for our fishing trip in Salcombe. Following this the chef produced a plate of our grandson's catch at dinner that was a work of art, and this mid a very busy service.
All meals were excellent in content and presentation and it was refreshing to have waiting staff that knew the etiquette of a dining room.

Thank you to all for a memorable stay for us all.

Room Tip: Talk to staff when you book, they are very helpful as to needs.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear 520 traveller
I am so pleased that you and your family enjoyed your recent visit to Thurlestone. We do try and offer an ambience that suits all generations and we also pay attention to the ‘little touches’ that hopefully make your stay just that little bit more enjoyable. And, yes, you’re right, it is a good idea to chat to our reception staff when you make your booking. They will advise you on the best deal available and help with any special needs.
We look forward to seeing you, your son and the boys again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for two nights and had a wonderful time. The restaurant is fabulous and we enjoyed a wonderful meal one night. We enjoyed the spa and both had lovely treatments. Our room was good in size and had wonderful views of the bay. A wonderful, English break.

• Stayed August 2013
JulieBaugh, Manager at Thurlestone Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Tassy84,
It is so kind of you to write a review and I am delighted that you and your partner had such a good weekend break. We do hope to see you again.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Stayed for 1 night with dinner. Views stunning. Beautiful, comfortable room. Super swimming pool and spa facilities. Evening meal and breakfast delightful, with good old fashioned proper service. Very impressed. A bit pricey to be able to visit again. One night equates to a week away overseas! Shame, because this really is a treat everyone should experience.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear memorp,
Thank you so much and I am very pleased you had an enjoyable evening with us. As past guests, you will be receiving regular news of special offers and I hope that we can tempt you back for a repeat visit.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Lovely hotel , a little dated but all in all a good relaxing hotel. We had a lovely room with amazing views from the balcony which was spotlessly clean . The food was excellent from breakfast to evening dinner , service although was slow and the waiters did struggle on occasions , the waiter dropped one of our sorbets on the floor then attempted to serve it to us ! The outside pool was very busy and we were unable to get sunbed on the days we were there , people seemed to put towels on them early in the morning to reserve them , thought this only happened abroad ! The indoor pool was lovely and much more peaceful. It was school holiday time so obviously busy, but all the children were very well behaved . If your looking for somewhere to unwind , enjoy lovely food and the scenery , then give it a try .

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Liza C,
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay but I must apologise for the totally unacceptable level of service you received in the restaurant. Thank you so much for your useful feedback. As you mentioned, August is one of our most popular times, especially for families, and this lovely weather we’ve been having has encouraged guests to stay by the pool and enjoy the sunshine, so I’m sorry it was so busy. However, whenever you come, you can be sure of a warm welcome from us all here.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

If you've watched "Undercover Boss" (from whatever country), you soon learn that it's vital that management stays in contact with the "coal face". Once you get to know who's who at the hotel, it becomes apparent why this hotel has earned such praise. Yes, mistakes are made, but, they are few and, what's important is that people try, and they do here.

The website warns about some of the lanes on approach to the hotel. I would heed the warning and not be beholden to your satellite navigation system, especially if it is set to shortest or dynamic routing. If you do attempt the "lanes", be aware that some of them are just over a car's width and very ravine-like in nature. If you really get stuck, you may have difficulty opening the doors and I hope you have a sunroof! You need to really know your car's dimensions, as vegetation makes it impossible to see the wall when turning (some are really sharp). I would avoid all lanes to and from "Lower Sturtlebury Wood". Stick to the A-roads. Once there, there is parking at the front of the hotel, or covered parking behind the hotel.

This trip was a special treat for the family. The welcome was very warm, with a tour of the facilities after our bags were dropped-off in the room; no other hotel (I know of) does this. This not being our usual type of hotel, the warm welcome blew all doubts away.

There are sea view rooms and others facing inland. Of particular importance to us parents, the hotel has family suites; this means the children get bunk beds with an accompanying en-suite loo (as do you) and a dividing door, therefore affording privacy. Room 372/373 is where we stayed. The rooms are spotless and warm in ambience. If there is one criticism, it would be the odd creaky floorboard; you always wonder if you're disturbing other guests. The issue isn't major though.

There are extensive facilities, including an indoor pool, jacuzzi, outdoor heated pool, manicured gardens, tennis and badminton courts, snooker table and the hotel's own nine-hole golf course (to name but a few)!

When booking, you have the choice of adding dinner to your stay; I did, as it removes the task of having to find somewhere to have meals, enabling full concentration on the task of having fun with the kiddies. The thought that has gone into the design of the menu, coupled with the execution is nothing short of fantastic! Take mango and passion fruit with a ball of cream, served in a small bowl; short, sharp, sweet & mellow all-in-one! The service is impeccable. The team (both front and back) really try hard. The head chef and his team really made my weekend! I wanted to thank the team on the day I left, but, things were busy. Please print this off and let them read it. The "jacket-at-dinner" rule injected a sense of occasion to the meal; something often lost in our run-yourself-ragged world. My two daughters really enjoyed dressing up for dinner. It was good to be able to give priority to what's most important in life. Lastly, the views from your table are beautiful!

Far too often nowadays, institutions sell the idea of service quality, but don't deliver. I detest paying for this. What you get here, is what service should be. Taking this into account, along with the extensive facilities, the rate for this hotel is fair. I thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear MikeFz,
Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to write such a long review – and a very generous one, too. I will certainly make sure all the staff are made aware of your nice comments, it is such a boost for morale, especially during this, our really busy season.
I am delighted you and your family enjoyed yourselves and I do hope we will be seeing you again.
Best wishes, Julie Baugh, Hotel Director
PS It’s nice to see some positive comments in the jacket-at-dinner debate!
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Clean, well run, large family hotel. Also filled with the diamond paneled sweater brigade and their white Jags, mixed with the young "special weekend with the girlfriend" lot.
We had a large family party for a local wedding and everyone had a great time. It is classically 1980s country club feel. In other words, the decor is REALLY dated, you have to pay for WiFi, they still laughably have jacket and tie dress code in the restaurant, 10 years behind the smartest Mayfair, Knightsbridge and Chelsea fashionista restaurants.
I liked it, it was fun. Would I go back? No, it's too big an ask to get to, I'm not into golf and it was jolly bad value for money.

Room Tip: Go for a balcony room overlooking the sea, not one of the depressing back rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Henry Trafalgar
First and foremost, I am so glad that you and your family party had a great time and that, overall, you liked the hotel and ‘it was fun’. However, I am sorry that we’re not really your style! We don’t claim to emulate the fashionable London establishments but prefer to stick to the traditional values that our guests seem to prefer. That’s not to say that we don’t keep up to date with trends and technology, however, which can be witnessed in our ongoing refurbishment programme throughout the hotel, including our brand new Voyage Spa. The jacket rule (no ties required, by the way) in our main restaurant has been a subject of debate for quite a few years now but we bow to the views of the majority of visitors, who tell us that setting some sort of a dress code adds to their enjoyment of the overall ‘fine dining’ experience. A more relaxed atmosphere can be found in our pub next door, the Village Inn, or in the summer at our Rock Pool al fresco eating area. I am puzzled, however, by your comments about WiFi. There was no charge for use of WiFi while you were here and I am concerned as to how your charges were incurred. Perhaps you would be kind enough to call or email me so that we can try and get to the bottom of this. Incidentally, I am delighted to say that, since your visit in May, we have up-dated our WiFi system for even easier accessibility.
Once again, I am pleased you all had a good time and thank you for your feedback.
Best wishes, Julie Baugh, Hotel Director

Been to Thurlestone Hotel? Share your experiences!