“A special celebration” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Thurlestone Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Thurlestone
Thurlestone Hotel
You added Thurlestone Hotel to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Thurlestone | Nr Kingsbridge, Thurlestone TQ7 3NN, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thurlestone
Solihull, United Kingdom
“A special celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We have visited the area around Hope Cove and Salcombe for over thirty years with members of our family. This was our first visit to the Thurlestone Hotel to celebrate our Ruby Wedding and my mothers 90th birthday. We required a room suitable for my mother as she is in a wheelchair. The rooms we had were next door to each other and were ideal with wonderful views and very comfortable.The hotel had a very friendly atmosphere and guests with children were well catered for.The staff were delightful nothing was too much trouble and the service was excellent.We enjoyed the excellent food,the outdoor pool,the golf and the gardens with such wonderful views.Many thanks to Julie and all the staff who made our visit such a special one.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
JulieBaugh, Manager at Thurlestone Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear lhcooper
Thank you for choosing the Thurlestone for your special celebrations and I am delighted you and your family enjoyed yourselves. We do hope you will come back and see us again soon.
Best wishes, Julie Baugh, Hotel Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
shropshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We have just returned from yet another 4 day stay at this hotel with our grown up children and our two grandsons aged 6 and 3.
The whole environment of the hotel is extremely friendly and welcoming. All the staff, and particularly Caroline our waitress were exceptionally helpful. The outdoor heated pool was a great success and the gardens a pleasure to relax in.
We look forward to another future visit and would highly recommend the hotel as a family friendly, efficiently run hotel in a beautiful setting.

Dear cmsj,
Thank you and I’m so pleased you, your children and grandchildren enjoyed your stay. One of the things we strive for is to provide an environment where all the family can get together and have a good time, and I am delighted that we have achieved that in your case. “Friendly and welcoming” is another aim, so thanks for mentioning it!
Look forward to seeing you all again soon.
Chippenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

We have been to the Thurlestone before but usually for a weekend, this was for a week. There were 3 generations of family in our party including a 2 year old and a 4 year old. Our visit was excellent and lived up to our expectations.
There was lots to do for the kids. The 4 year old really enjoyed the club activities (such as cupcake decorating, making olympics arts and crafts, cocktail making) and the staff running the kids activites were friendly, great with the children, and enthusiastic. The 2 year old especially enjoyed the outdoor play area and the indoor play room. We all enjoyed the outdoor pool and the fact we had weather to do it justice was very welcome! The indoor pool has been refurbished since our last visit and was amazing - a total transformation and very chic. The new hydrotherapy pool was particularly good.
The hotel manages to strike a good balance between having enough for children for do while also having a restful and 'grown-up' atmosphere for adults.
The food was excellent and the staff were very good with the children at breakfast and tea time, especially considering my very 'enthusiastic' 2 year old! Food at children's tea was excellent quality (e.g. steak and chips that I would happily have had for dinner!). One suggestion - some other options such as rice and noodles would be good.
Staff throughout the hotel are friendly and helpful and it is particularly nice to see many familiar faces amongst them each year in an industry where turnover rates are usually high.
We wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Thurlestone and look forward to returning!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Anna S,
I am so glad you and your family enjoyed your week at the Thurlestone and that the children had fun joining in with the Dolphin Club activities. Thanks for the suggestion for children’s tea, I’ll have a word with Chef. I’m delighted you enjoyed our new Voyage Spa. It’s been very well received and it looks like all the hard work was worthwhile!
Looking forward to seeing you next time.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We have just returned from our 8th visit to The Thurlestone. As usual the staff, service and food were superb. The new spa and swimming pool was great, a huge improvement on the old one.
The weather was very hot and we all enjoyed the outdoor pool. The gardens are now looking superb and the dogs had a wonderful time on the nearby beach. All the children staying at the hotel seemed very happy and were well catered for with different activties. It is always nice to return to The Thurlestone and to be wecolmed by the same cheerful staff. The different rooms we have had over the years have always been spotless, good beds and nice linen. Looking forward to our next visit in the autumn.

Room Tip: All the front view rooms have a superb view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Peter K,

I am so pleased you enjoyed your 8th visit! We love to hear from our ‘regulars’ that you have had a good time and that we are keeping up the standards you deserve and expect from us. I am glad you like the new spa, and our Head Gardener will be delighted by your kind comment about the gardens.
Looking forward to seeing you again in the autumn.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Wedding; Excellent. Dan, the Assistant Manager, handled all our requirements with aplomb. Great food and venue. Gardens excellent for photographs.

Rooms; Expensive. You pay per person and not for the room. All of our guests stayed in Hope Cove. The rooms where no better than a travel lodge.

Staff; The front desk staff are all very terse and cold. Not very amenable at all. We felt like school children.

Value; As we had spent >£8k on our wedding we had hoped for a couple of extras. However, we had to make three rather stern phone calls just to get a family pass for the spa on a complimentary basis. This left a rather biter taste to what was a good experience.

Summary; Expensive, good food, poor service at the front desk, good service elsewhere, great facilities, poor value as the rooms where just overpriced, finally we felt let down at having to make so many calls for a simple complimentary pass after spending a serious amount of money.

We won't be going back.

Room Tip: Stay in Hope Cove.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with CoopTravel

Dear MEdwards71,
First and foremost, I am delighted that your wedding went well and that you and your guests enjoyed your Special Day and all the arrangements went smoothly.

I am sorry, however, that you were disappointed that you had to ask several times for us to allow your guests to use of our new Voyage Spa leisure complex. As you know, these facilities are reserved for hotel residents, Country Club members and ‘Pamper Day’ non-residents, in order to keep numbers manageable and maintain the relaxing ambience that is part and parcel of the “spa experience”. Clearly this issue was not handled as well as it should have been and I am sorry this spoiled your otherwise good experience of the hotel.

I must admit I was mystified by your ‘Travel Lodge’ analogy. Good as that group might be for the overnighting traveller, I don’t believe their rooms can really be compared to ours, nor do they come with the service and the range of facilities we offer.

Thank you for your kind remarks about the food, Dan and the overall service you received. I am so glad you thought the Thurlestone was a good venue for your wedding.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We have just returned from a long weekend at Thurlestone
We travelled as two adults and two boys aged five and seven
Our main reason for selecting this hotel was that it billed itself as a very family friendly hotel and made much of the dani the dolphin club on the website when in fact ther was nt much dani or dolphin
The min club held one activity in the morning and one in the evening they were unable to provide Ba hitting on the Saturday night or any movie night for the kids which resulted in us having lots of tuts and frowns and bad comments actually throughout our stay from many of the residents who were mainly from the golfing set
They need to,take a leaf from other hotels which make much more use of their on site facilities to occupy the children If that is I fact the market they are aiming for
The kids reps were uninterested down at the mouth and u could see their hearts were not in the job
The food at the hotel is fabulous
The rooms are dated and in desperate need of air con
Front of staff house very organized
Indoor pool lovely if over chlorinated and my son came home with an ear infection
Would I go back .... No I'd drive the extra hour and half and go to watergate bay!!!
It was top end of therice range coming I at just under 500 per night for d b b and a family room
I'd say it's worth half of that....

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
JulieBaugh, Manager at Thurlestone Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear babymummy1,
Having just received a letter from a grandmother saying how much she and her grandchildren enjoyed a multi-generational family holiday at the Thurlestone, I was disappointed to read your review and very sorry your two lively boys didn’t find enough to occupy themselves. As we say on the website, we do not provide a crèche for younger children, but we endeavour to present activities they might enjoy. It is not unusual for parents to join in, too!
As a family owned and run hotel for over 115 years, we pride ourselves on our traditional family values and try our utmost to appeal to every age group. We aim to ensure there is something for everyone, from our children’s club and extensive indoor and outdoor leisure facilities to our quiet lounges and relaxing spa areas. Going back to that grandmother’s letter, she says her grandchildren want to make it an annual event – we hope they do and join the many others who return year after year!
I am delighted you enjoyed the food during your stay and thank you for your kind words about the staff. Once again, I am sorry we failed to come up to expectations on this occasion.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This was a return visit after approximately 15 years. I was disappointed in the size of the room and the room service. We booked a standard sea view room, but felt that it was much smaller than rooms I stayed at previously here. There was one arm chair and the other chair was a dressing table chair as the room was too small for two arm chairs. There was no turndown service, daily newspapers were extra and we had no shower cap or body lotion left in the room. Under normal circumstances I would not complain, but do feel that at the price of the rooms, these things should be included.
The food however, was absolutely superb and really could not find fault with the restaurant food or service, which also has sea views. The public areas are extremely comfortable and relaxing.
The SPA was not quite finished with the refurbishments, but it will be excellent when finished. There is however a slight problem with the floor round the indoor pool, in that it can be slippy when wet, so you have to tred carefully, but there is a steam room, a sauna and a dry heat room. The outdoor pool was beautifully warm so is obviously heated.
We also had a problem connecting to the Wifii, but I understand that it is a problem specific to Apple products. We had three apple products with us and could only get one of them to connect.
The weather was awful when we were there, being the wettest June since records began, I think. However, we found plenty to do, with the pool,the SPA, coastal walks, visiting local towns and there is a Golf course on site.
Overall, it is a lovely hotel, and quite classy, but it did cost as much for 2 nights DBB as we paid for one week full board in Greece last year.
Not sure if we would return, as it is quite pricy.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear viewsforme,
I am so pleased you decided to re-visit us after 15 years and delighted that you enjoyed your meals and the new Voyage Spa (which is now finished). I’m sorry about the WiFi connection, which varies in different areas of the hotel, and our technical people are working on this. I was disappointed to learn that there was a shortage of toiletries in your room and I have had a word with our Housekeeper to prevent this happening in the future. On the subject of a turndown service, guests seem to have different preferences. It is difficult choosing the right time to visit each room, with the risk of disturbing sleeping children, interrupting showers or dressing, etc. We therefore leave it to the guests to request turndown if they want it and I am sorry if we didn’t make this clear.
All that aside, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and I do hope we can tempt you back with one of our seasonal special offers.
Best wishes, Julie Baugh, Hotel Director

Been to Thurlestone Hotel? Share your experiences!