“How rude” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“How rude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

I was down in Thurlstone with my partner.
My family live in Thurlstone and we used to love Rockys cafe.
We went for a walk with my mom and went in to newly named beach house and asked for a hot drink.
And the woman said
"Are you here to eat"
We said "We'd like a hot drink"
The woman pointed to an outside window and said "Order them out there"
in a very rude manner and ushered us our of the door. So we just walked off. I don't know who she thinks she is to treat a customer in such a rude manner.
As locals I am disgusted with their attitude!!!

• Visited April 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Winchester, United Kingdom
“Good food in rustic surroundings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

It really is a beach hut! Reading the good reviews, we decided to go as it was near Thurlestone where we were staying and did not wish to eat in the hotel restaurant.
In the dark and the sat nav not that accurate, we followed a map down normal narrow Devon roads. Arrived at the car park in the dark and rain - was this the place? A small hut? Could it hold 30 people?
Yes it does and we were not disappointed. You sit at benches and if it was full, you would be sharing with others but on the night we were there, there was only a birthday party of 15 ladies. This added to the atmosphere although I suppose if they had not been there, it would have not have been so good.
The food was excellent with good and friendly service. I started with mussels as they are one of my favourites. Very good albeit the bread was a bit stale. However I had ordered the chowder as the main dish. Unfortunately it contained mussels again along with prawns, other shell fish and vegetables.It would have been better if it had contained more chunks of fish or alternatively told me that it would be better not to have a mussel starter. However, in its own right it was good but I was full at the end!
If I was going back - and I would - I would have a normal fish dish.
In summary - good atmosphere, quirky surroundings, good food and good service.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, United Kingdom
“A lucky find!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We ended up in the Beachhouse by accident, we were out walking and needed a rest, saw this place in the distance and thought we might be able to get a drink (assuming it was a small beach side cafe) we were hit by the smell of fresh csh being cooked and so was lured in to eat! Crab cakes and fresh mackerel salad later we were thoroughly refreshed and back on our afternoon walk. Beautiful food, friendly staff and lovely ambience. My only very small niggle is the mackerel was served with roasted tomatoes on the vine, they sadly weren't roasted enough and so didn't quite work. Wonderful place will definitely be returning.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Exeter, United Kingdom
“A jewel that I don't wish to tell anyone about in case they take our table on the next visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Oh heavens, how can I complete this!

We arrived very late in the middle of the storms that were ravaging the coast recently, not knowing really where we were going but just heading for a mark on the map that someone had scribbled down as "sandy". Our arrival must have been midnight or thereabouts, so we parked and slept close by. The morning was totally clear with not a cloud in the sky and we noticed this pale-blue shack sat close by with the words ''Beachhouse'' emblazoned on the roof, with my first impression to ignore it as I assumed it sold candy-floss, buckets, spades and so on, which at my age I didn't really need. We walked down to the beach to sketch and paint, returning later and noticing the large number of bodies sat outside, inside and also queuing at an outside serving hatch. My partner went in to ask about something and she came out saying that I just HAD to go inside and look. I did. The rest is history for I immediately booked a table for the evening and we enjoyed a fabulous meal where the choice was just too much, suffering the "what the hell shall we eat" syndrome, plus wine. The staff were fabulous and welcoming which can not be said about many eateries/restaurants. Several unknown couples joined us and we chatted to them all, for the ambience was so warm and we went away informing them that we would return for breakfast. We did, despite the fact that we had a plentiful supply of food material with us. As others have said, the breakfast was incredible.

I am going to stop writing here, for I have said too much already but I think you can guess that it was a totally wonderful experience and I am sad that others have not enjoyed their time there, but I suppose everyone has an off day. I have travelled to most places off and on the beaten track in the world but can say, hand on heart, that the Beachhouse gets my vote for an overall experience not to be missed....oh why the hell did I say that, now my table will be occupied!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Odiham, United Kingdom
“A wonderful find - will go back and back again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

The Beachhouse came highly recommended and it didn't disappoint. We were lucky to be staying a mile up the road so we visited it often - sometimes on the cuff and took our chances with inside or outside - if you want to sit inside you MUST book - although you might be lucky as we were popping in for an early evening drink. However we also booked - dinner in the evening for 9 of us on New Years Day Evening and the wind howled as the storm took hold. But it was amazing - we loved the rustic chic, the fabulous ambience, terrific service (Helen is a gem! And Billy is great too!) and the superb food. Its not cheap - but you will be hard placed to source more stunning seafood platters.
We then booked for breakfast (yes to eat inside you need to) and this was also terrific.
An absolute treasure - especially after walking the dogs on the beach in the blustering wind and rain - and we love the fact they welcome dogs! How anyone can be negative is beyond us!

• Visited December 2013