“Return Visit” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Coast View Holiday Park

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shaldon
Coast View Holiday Park
You added Coast View Holiday Park to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Torquay Rd, Shaldon TQ14 0BG, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Shaldon
London
“Return Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I was a bit hesitant to return just in case it wasn't as good as the first time, but I needn't have worried. We all had a great time again - there's not much you can do about the weather! As before, there's loads to do whatever the weather and the staff were very friendly and helpful - especially the General Manager, Helen. And, as the name suggests, you won't get a better view!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed here for the Easter weekend, I was a bit worried by the reviews on trip adviser, but everything was great. We had a 6 berth lodge, ample kitchen, nice bath and shower (although the toilet was a little tight to get to, the sink being too close) it was clean with gas heating and a balcony with spectacular views. Cots and high chairs available for £10 returnable deposit. We went to the club house/bar/restaurant; the food was fantastic with a good choice. Eat early for the Calvary as it is popular. We also tried the “steak on a stone”; at just under £11 you cook it yourself at your table to your liking. We also went there in the morning for breakfast very nice treat, someone else cooking and no pots to wash. Night time the kids loved the entertainers and the large area to run around. The bar was well stocked from local beer to coffee and tea. There is no shop on site as such, but they do sell basic provisions like milk eggs bread yoghurts etc.
There is a nice swimming pool for the kids with lifeguard although we found it a little cool, but the kids didn’t seem to notice. Behind the pool is a soft play/ball craw area the kids loved that too. At the top field there is an assault course play area for bigger kids
The Staff were very helpful and polite.
This site is a real gem, slightly unpolished but a gem none the less –we are booking for next year

Room Tip: The luxury chalets are the best to go for , touring caravans and tents on the top field ace view up...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hertford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We had the most horrific stay at coastview. Sooooo many reasons why! I have included my correspondence with them below. They never resolved the situation. PLEASE dont ever stay here!!

To Coastview Owner or Director

To whom it may concern,

I am writing to formally request a full refund for my stay at Coastview from 25th August to 1st September 2012.

It was the most unfit and frankly dangerous campsite or holiday park I have ever visited and I am disgusted with the not fit for purpose accommodation.

Having arrived at coastview on Saturday (25th Aug) at approximately 10pm we were given the keys to number 17 chalet. Having driven 5 hours with a 3 month old baby, 3 adults and two dogs it was what I can only describe as a nightmare to see what a run down, dirty, aged, smelly and generally horrific accommodation we were given. The chalet should not be on the market for rent, especially not at the rate of nearly 500 pounds for the week!! The entire chalet was nothing more than a rundown old shack ready for demolition, not anywhere near a holiday home for a family as advertised.

Issues with the chalet:

• Freezing cold in the bedrooms even with the one heater we were supplied on all the time
• Stale smoke smell that resulted in all of us, including the baby, getting a nasty cough and cold
• No crib available on the first night, even though I had phoned to check availability before my stay. So the baby had to sleep in bed with me (mother) while father slept on the couch. This is dangerous and not how we wanted to spend the first night of our holiday.
• When we did get a crib the draft on the floor was so bad that we had to resort to keeping the baby in bed with me.
• My two dogs did nothing but scratch the entire time they were there and have been to the vet on our return to be treated for fleas. They didn’t have fleas before we arrived.
• The bathroom was disgraceful. It stank of urine. The shower barely worked and flooded the bathroom everytime you used it.
• Broken front door that you had to force to open and close.

The first morning I went straight to reception to complain and they informed me there was nothing they could do to help. We tried to make the best of a bad situation but when the entire party become ill and the health of my child was in jeopardy I returned to reception insisting something was done. I wanted a refund in order to vacate Coastview immediately and find alternative accommodation but your ludicrous and actually illegal policy of not offering an over the desk refund meant we were stuck. Your manager Helen Brenton was as helpful as she could be offering us alternative accommodation onsite but unfortunately the only accommodation available was a static caravan that couldn’t fit a crib for the baby in the bedroom which made it impossible for us to stay there. Faced with the thought if staying at Coastview any longer I decided to look for alternative accommodation and stomach the costs. However, even with the help of Shaldon Tourist Centre we were unable to be relocated – everything was booked. Unable to return home due to the boiler being repaired during our vacation we were stuck in what I can only described as a hellish holiday. In addition to the unlivable chalet, the route to the town was extremely dangerous by foot, the holiday home park facilities were poor to say the least and we had all become ill in the horrible environment and living conditions. Not what you expect when you book a holiday.

I returned to Helen to say we wouldn’t be able to leave but I expected a full refunded. She assured me my awful experience had been noted on your system and that I would need to put everything in writing in order for the refund to be processed.

If I am not refunded in full for the chalet rental within 14 days I will be taking legal action. There is no way those chalets should be open to the public and it is criminal that you can ruin a well earned family break with such bad accommodation.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Regards

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
CoastViewHolidayPark, General Manager at Coast View Holiday Park, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
These guests issues were dealt with in the proper and appropriate way both at the time of their stay, and in all the correspondence we entered into with them following their stay. This is not a review which has been posted, but a copy and pasted their original letter of complaint.

Our staff all work very hard to ensure guest satisfaction at all times and there is no doubt that all was done to assist these guests during their holiday last August.

As tripadvisor advise - "We understand that there are two sides to every story and encourage you to write a management response"

I would urge any guests who have booking concerns or queries upon reading this or other negative reviews to contact me directly on 01626 818350 where either myself or one of my team will assure you of our commitment to high standards of customer service and assure that we will deal professionally and effectively with any problems or issues you may have during you stay.

Many thanks
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We just returned from Coast View and stayed for four nights in a Pearl chalet.
The location of the holiday park is stunning. The views from all accommodation types are breathtaking.
It took a lot to get over the initial disappointment at the standard of the chalet. It needs gutting and completely re-fitting. The bathroom was nasty (mouldy shower, rusty fittings) and the kitchen was ill-equipped for a self-catering family (no scissors or cheese grater, small cups and bowls, tiny cooker..). On arrival the overpowering smell of air freshener was, we found (a few hours later when the scent was less offensive to our nostrils), probably to mask the very obvious damp problem. Lying there in bed at night certainly didn't feel healthy to the lungs.
The two electric heaters provided were, though, enough to get the chalet quite cosy - on one of the coldest and wettest weeks of the year so far. So we were mostly warm (it did take a long time to warm up when coming in from the cold) but with a lot of heater shuffling (the 'moveable' heater was first placed in the kids room in the evening to get their room warm enough and bedtime, then moved out of their room and into ours).
The facilities were nice - a really good outside play park and a lovely indoor soft play area. But the pool was absolutely freezing - turned the kids' lips blue. Shouldn't really be open at this time of year if they're not going to heat it.
We attended the on-site halloween party and the entertainment provided was very good indeed - the kids absolutely loved it and it really brought them out of themselves socially. We also ate at The View that evening and three out of the four items ordered were good - burger, fish and chips, ham egg and chips - the one to avoid was the Nachos.
All in all I think that had this been a summer break then the shortcomings with the accommodation would have been more easily overlooked because you wouldn't be spending much time in the chalet and could throw open the patio doors and enjoy the gorgeous views. But when it's bitterly cold and raining you can't help but *wish* you'd turned up to something a little nicer. And you resent all the little things like having to make up the beds yourself and having to supply your own towels and dish cloths and having to traipse back to reception to get the get a tv remote (refundable £10 deposit)... although it should we said the girl on reception seemed very nice.
All in all we did enjoy our holiday because the area was fantastic and there was so much to see and do, despite the weather. But I probably wouldn't stay here again. I would *possibly* consider giving it one more chance for a height of summer break - only if I was on a very strict budget. But would shop around first to see if I could find somewhere else for a similar price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Have just got back from a break at coast view and was pleased that i booked. It was last minute and have never been before after reading some of the other reviews was worried about what to expect. The receptionist was polite and smiling on arriving and asked how my journey was and if i been at the site before then showed me where the caravan was and about parking arrangements.Used club house twice and yes the entertainment could be better but it didn't spoil our holiday. I hope the new owner continues with his improvements and i look forward to going back again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Birmingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I've been to coast view and after reading the reviews some don't tell the full story, April was great weather hot and sunny hose pipe bans then that was it, high winds, mud baths for pitches, no drainage one water point for tents and caravans, very poor lighting to top fields and pitches, the swimming pool is dirty,grime sitting above the water level, the shower block was clean when I've used it, the play area needs more work and the entertainment is not great. The dog walking field isn't fit for the purpose. I will say the wardens and ground staff were great and did a great job considering. ? Would I go back. Ans: No

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
CoastViewHolidayPark, General Manager at Coast View Holiday Park, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Guest
Thankyou for taking the time to write a review - we value all feedback as this helps us to improve and evolve.
2012 was indeed a bad year weather-wise, and we are aware that many of our guests were unable to fully enjoy the holiday they had anticipated due to this prolonged spell of very heavy rain during the main summer season.
We have already commenced improvement work on our pitches & grounds for the 2013 season. Thankyou for your kind comments about our staff , our team work very hard to ensure everyone's needs are met, whatever the weather. We are sorry you didn't fully enjoy your recent stay with us, but hope you will return and give us another try in the future.
With Kind Regards
The Coast View Team
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Me and my family have been coming to Coast View for about 6 years now and we can honestly say we were not that impressed this year around. There have been improvements around the camp site such as the new cafe, the new park, tarmacked areas, and the new entertainment room. If only we could say the same for the actual entertainment.
It has gone down bank since last year when we came.. there is no disco on after 10:30pm which we all really enjoyed, and some of the entertainers were absolutely terrible! Not even the children were interested! My favorite one was "Ozzy" the magician.. He was great and got the children and adults involved in fun games and quizzes! My mum said that the washing facilities were very poor, the washing machine wasn't too good, and the dryer didn't even dry the clothes, and they're not exactly cheap to use.
Because of the rain we had, obviously the pitch we were on was a total disgrace! The grounds men were very helpful and did come and give us plenty of wood chippings. The security is very good, they were paroling all night and helped my mum with a problem quite late at night!
The shop was well stocked, however the prices were a little high.
Overall it is a great place, it just needs to up its game quite alot. Mainly; 1. Entertainment, 2. Washing facilities, and 3. The tent pitches!
We are coming back next year and we cant wait to see what changes/improvements have been made.. if they do...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
CoastViewHolidayPark, General Manager at Coast View Holiday Park, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for this constructive feedback, and glad you appreciate the improvements we have already made to this fantastic Park. We will be doing a lot of work on the camping & touring pitches during the winter which will improve drainage, and we are also looking at increasing the number of hardstanding and serviced pitches for 2013.
Sorry you had a problem with the laundry facilities during your stay, I will look into this as a matter of priority as usually this service runs well and I wasn’t aware of any issues last week.
The style of entertainment offered in our new café-bar we feel reflects the ethos of this facility. We are however aware that different styles of entertainment appeal to different tastes, and glad that you liked Ozzie who has certainly gone down well this season. Our security, groundstaff and all members of our team are always on hand to help and glad you found this to be the case.
Pleased to see you have re-booked already for 2013 and we are sure you will have another great holiday, hopefully with better weather! Please keep an eye on our website & social media pages throughout the coming months to keep up to date with our progress and plans for next season, including entertainment. I am also happy to discuss any queries you may have by phone.
With Kind Regards

Been to Coast View Holiday Park? Share your experiences!