“Do NOT Go - A Honest Review” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Smugglers Rest

Smugglers Rest
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mortehoe
Smugglers Rest
You added Smugglers Rest to your Saves list
North Morte Rd, Mortehoe, Woolacombe EX34 7DR, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mortehoe
Melton Mowbray
“Do NOT Go - A Honest Review”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

We visited this pub whilst on a family holiday in August 2011. We were camping at at local site and this was the closest pub. There were 10 adults and 3 children in our group.

When we initailly entered the pub we sat in the Bar area and moved some tables into a line so that we coud all sit together. We would have asked someone behind the bar however there was nobody to be seen. Initailly impressions were ok, staff were friendly and helpful. Pub was run slightly run down but ok and the beer was refreshing after a day on the beach. In total there were 3 families so we all ordered seperately. When ordering my meal a customer walked out and said to the lady serving me that "it was the worst meal he had ever tasted and that the chef did not even know how to cook vegetables" He was sarcastically thanked and left. The barman then slagged him off for not knowing what he was talking about. The signs were not good.

We ordered two scampi and chips for the two of us, one sausages and mash and one burger for our kids. (the menu is a standard pub one, dont expect anything to special).

On the wall was a sign saying "we dont serve fast food, we just serve good food as fast as we can". There was also a sign on the wall indicating how long the food would be. 1 hour wait...this must be good.

When the food arrived, we got our scampi, and mash but another kids scampi. Not a burger. Our daughter did not like scampi so we said that we did not order it. I was infomed by the bar lady / now waiteress that it is what I ordered. I sent it back. She re appeared and said that if we wanted a burger we were going to have to pay for it as well as the scampi. I expalined that I had not ordered a scampi so why shoudl i have to pay for another? A heated discussion then occured during which she said "your making me very angry mate"! Well what do you do. you have a 7 year old hungry daughter who has not got any food so I had to order and pay for another meal.

When returning to the bar she was heard to tell he other kid behind it what had just happened and he call me a "Nob Head".

In all the kids meal only cost £3.50. as a group we spent over £150 on the meal and I would expect a pub to look at the bigger picture and get the meal that we want without creating a problem. I was extremely disapointed.

Lastly when I got the bill I asked to check it, I was informed by the kid behind the bar that it was right and that he had been doing this job since he was 14 but i could check it if i wanted.. Guess what it was wrong!

DO NOT GO TO THIS PUB - WHY??

1) The food is expensive and certainly not good.
2) The staff are dreadful, unprofessional and seriously need training in customer service
3) There is a large boxer dog behind the bar that jumps up by the taps. Not the most hygienic thing I have ever seen but thats a matter for the inspectors when they next visit.
4) There are other take away options and pubs in the village that are better.
5) If you complain then it will just fall on deaf ears and you will be called names under their breath.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
PRGmortehoe, Owner at Smugglers Rest, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
Never before have i felt the need so strongly to reply to a review. This review is NOT TRUE and quite simply unfair. This man was VERY rude and aggresive to all our staff . Not one member of my staff needs to be spoken to like this at all .The only time he stopped was when my 18st brother went over. I ask all future customers to please give us a fair go. We have run the smugglers for 11yrs and only one other time have i come across a man of this nature.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

I am a little confused about some of the indifferent reviews here. There is a lot to commend about the Smugglers Rest. The staff are friendly. Our room was clean and had a great view from the second floor window. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was very good. The breakfast was excellent and there was a good atmosphere in the pub. It was also very welcoming towards children and dogs. I believe £30 per night recommends excellent value for money. I do believe though the reception area could be made more welcoming. Mortehoe is also a lovely small village with 3 pubs and a fish and chip shop. Fantastic countryside and beaches all within a few miles.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Surrey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

Only stayed one night before walking the South West coastal path. Room clean and acceptable. Breakfast very good. Could do with new towels and the reception area could do with a good tidy up!

• Stayed September 2010
St Albans
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

+ Mortehoe is lovely with some good pubs and well positioned for coastal walks, Woolacombe, Croyde, etc.
+ Rooms were clean (although carpets in our initial room were a little stained), well presented and 2nd floor offered a nice view of countryside.
+ Good breakfast in a pleasant dining room.
+ Daughter was v friendly and offered us a warm welcome (v accommodating with storage for my bike).
+ Relatively cheap when compared to other B&Bs in the area.
- After our 1st night, we had to move from Room 4 to another room because of a loud, regular drone from the toliet. When we mentioned this problem to the landlady, she was a little rude, offered no aplology and seemed to think we were making it up. However, we were able to move rooms.
- Some may think the rooms are dated, but the no frills really didn't bother us.
- Communal areas cluttered

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

This was my first visit to Mortehoe and I was very pleasantly surprised at what a lovely village it is. We booked the Smuggler's Rest as it was a dog-friendly place to stay and they allowed dogs in the room with you. And it was very reasonably priced for height of season!
The lady who 'welcomed' us wasn't the warmest, friendliest of people but she showed us to our room which was on the third floor (not ideal when you have a dog!) but the room was adequate, clean and the bed was very comfortable.
We ate out the first night at another pub in the village which was also very dog-friendly.
The next morning we discovered that the footpath opposite led into a huge field which was excellent for exercising the dog. We had a brisk walk before breakfast and I was really glad I had built up a bit of an appetite. The full English really was 'Full' - everything you require for breakfast! The girl serving breakfast was very friendly and chatty.
We spent 3 nights at the Smuggler's and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay - so did our springer spaniel!
I would have no hesitation in returning.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

We went on a recomendation and we were allmost put off by bad reviews on this site but it must be a different place the other reviewers stayed at because the atmosphere and the way we were greetet was a far cry from the doom and gloom we may have expected , we have had a great time and would like to thank Brenda and Penny for making it such a pleasant stay, the breakfast was first class with as much toast and coffee as you wanted, and even a birthday card for one of our party on his birthday. Go there stay and enjoy !

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

Having read the previous reviews, we were expecting a rough time - but that was not the case at all. The staff were friendly and accomodating, the rooms were funcational and clean. The breakfast was was good and served with cheerful conversation. We were looking for somewhere to stay whilst we were visiting friends for a long weekend. We were out all day down the beach (thanks to some great weather) and wanted somewhere unfussy to rest our heads each night, this place was ideal. We have already discussed going back later in the year. If you're looking for a 5*+ B&B, this isn't the place for you, if you're after a friendly and economical crash-pad, get booked in!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Smugglers Rest? Share your experiences!