“Some lovely touches but 'over-sold' - it's not a beach house” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Victoria House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mortehoe
Victoria House
You added Victoria House to your Saves list
Chapel Hill, Mortehoe, Woolacombe EX34 7DZ, England   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Mortehoe B&B and Inns
Monmouth, United Kingdom
“Some lovely touches but 'over-sold' - it's not a beach house”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I've feel reluctant to leave this 'only average' review because I know the owner was very upset about their negative one...but tripadvisor will only be effective if users don't bottle out of the tricky ones, so...here goes: this isn't a beach house - it's a converted pvc home office - a very nice one and one with lovely views...but the website doesn't make it clear that it's not on the beach (I stupidly didn't look at Tripadvisor until we got back!). Having read the reviews I think to their credit that the owners have addressed some of the issues, but like others we found the policy of having to choose your breakfast the night before anything but relaxing. On the second morning we said 8.30 to 9.00 on the note and arrived dead on 8.30 to be greeted with a grumpy "I wasn't expecting you this early".

There were lovely touches - beautiful towels and bathrobes and Clarins toiletries and a gorgeous array of teas and coffee and yummy biscuits, and the view is absoloutely fantastic - but as others have commented, the blue vinyl floor is dated and tatty and the shower is minute - it simply isn't worth £115 a night for an off peak midweek.

There are notices and rules everywhere - don't leave the TV on stand by, Knock and wait (hardly welcoming), and by the second day we both felt we were a nuisance. I had arranged non feather pillows and found feather ones - they were changed but I was definately made to feel I was being a pain. We felt overlooked by the kitchen window -presumably the owners don't want to screen the deck because they would lose their view but even a simple moveable screen (one of those planters with trellice) would stop you feeling like you are 'on view'. The outside day bed and furniture were draped in covers weighed down by heavy stones - it all looked very unwelcoming.

If you do book, the Kings Arms in Georgham about 3 miles away is fantastic, great food, great welcome and great atmosphere - the recommended Chichester was dreary, expensive and serves very average food.

Room Tip: Choose the ones in the house if you want a decent sized bathroom - the 'Beach House' has a m...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
r0xx, Owner at Victoria House, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
I am equally reluctant to respond to this post. Thank you for your lovely comments about the 'absolutely fantastic' view, the 'beautiful towels and bathrobes', the 'gorgeous' welcome tray and 'yummy' biscuits, what a pity our flooring spoilt all that for you!
It is very obvious from the photos on our website that the Beach House is not situated on a beach, there are green fields in all the views!
These guests found Woolacombe a very expensive place (a breakfast topic), and it is, there are many fine hotels in Ilfracombe that are half the price. But, this is Woolacombe and we are a similar price to other establishments in the village. With us, however, you have your own decking and day bed and can take full advantage of our stunning views all day if you wish.
You note that the decking is not private, and that we can see you, there is also a road and the South West Coastpath passing in front of the house, how far should I extend the 'trellis'?
A standard shower is 70cmx70cm, ours is 80cmx80cm. i have a passionate hate for shower curtains, so we have a glass enclosure thereby maximising the usable area.
The 'notices everywhere' is a 'please knock and wait' on our private family room. Unfortunately, we have had to put the notice up as people think that renting a room gives them access to the whole house and we have had guests walking into our private accommodation. Not an unreasonable request. The TV 'rule' is part of an explanation that leaving the TV on standby makes it search constantly for channels and then people have to come and ask us to retune it.
Yes, we have covers and massive stones holding down the day bed and other furniture. We live on a cliff overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. A mild breeze to us is a force 4, if things weren't battened down, they would be on Morte Point! I believe it only took moments to uncover the day bed for you to enjoy the magnificent sunset.
I think my husband was a little confused about the feather pillows. He was concerned that the day bed also had mostly feather pillows which you said wouldn't affect your allergy.
In all, I don't think you were impressed with Woolacombe as a whole. I know you were disappointed that you couldn't walk to the beach as you were temporarily disabled, but North Devon is rocky, hilly and dramatic. There is no gentle promenade, it's an unspoilt, wild coastline and to get on the beach means descending from the cliff tops or walking the 15 minutes to a level access onto the beach.
I will continue to offer guests the luxury of a lie in or a morning walk before breakfast. I understand that you are farmers and used to waking early, but most of our guests come here to relax and appreciate not having a 9 o'clock deadline for breakfast. You had eggs Benedict, by knowing the night before, I was able to make the hollandaise sauce in advance so that you were not waiting too long for your breakfast. Again, we will continue with this policy as most people like the varied choices we provide. I recently stayed in a B&B which was highly recommended and I was impressed with the choice at breakfast. I was disappointed, therefore, when my scotch pancakes had come straight out of a packet and heated up in the microwave. We prepare pancakes and waffles from scratch, and as every good cook knows, the batter is best after standing for an hour. Equally, porridge should be soaked (preferably overnight) to be at it's best, rather than taken straight out of a packet and microwaved. I could compromise my standards and throw a breakfast together in 10 minutes, but then the Sawdays inspector wouldn't have rated us as one of the top 10 breakfasts in the country when he stayed with us.
I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. You had read Trip Advisor before you came as you discussed it with us.
Anybody reading this far, please research the area so that you are not expecting boutiique shops, amusement parks, indoor entertainment etc (all complaints we have had). Read our comments, check out our website, ask us any questions you like, read our write up in Sawdays, Time Out, Lonely Planet, Cool Places to Stay, Best of Devon, Escape Routes. These have all been expertly reviewed and are a completely unbiased opinion with no hidden agendas.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

We stayed in the beach House during the bank holiday weekend and were blessed with some lovely sunny days.... perfect for enjoying the fantastic sun set and relaxing in the day bed on the decking in front of the Beach house. The wonderful view from here was the real highlight of our stay.. the beach house is very comfortable, warm and cosy. Opening the curtains to the coastline views each morning was a real treat.
Heather and David were very friendly and welcoming, it is always lovely to meet host's that are willing to have a chat and talk to you about the local scene and attractions. Lovely breakfasts and delicious home made biscuits brought to your room daily.
You are very close to some beautiful walks and the friendly local pubs in Mortehoe are a short stroll up the road.
We really enjoyed ourselves and would definitely return.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Beach House.. this is a separate cabin room next to the main house, it has it's...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We have just returned from a wonderful Easter break at the Victoria House. Whilst there we celebrated our anniversary and my other half's birthday. Heather met us as we pulled up, we were greeted warmly and offered assistance with our luggage. The B&B, is a beautiful period house; polished floor boards, cream carpets; elegant English interiors through out. I’m not a seasoned traveller, only been around the British isles, Europe and the Caribbean but this was certainly my cup of tea.

I had prearranged champagne for our arrival and it was on ice in our room waiting for us but throughout our stay we could avail ourselves of the tea/coffee making facilities (fairtrade, organic, decaffeinated). Home made choc chip cookies (bigguns to boot) were a lovely touch (I gobbled them as soon as I spotted them). Our room - what you see in the pictures is what you get, only better. The sunset that we stared at open mouthed from the large, comfortable, sofa and then from the bed took our breath away. And whilst it is true there was not a safety rail... what was affixed to the patio door opening was a frameless, glass panel - a Juliet balcony (safe and romantic!). To the north (I’m guessing) National Trust land, wild, craggy and pure drama. When Heather finally got our attention we were run through the rules of the house - breakfast order left on a post-it note on the hallway table before 10pm (or they might miss it). Didn’t have a problem with this (even after a hellish drive down from London, that took twice as long as it should have). Hardly an unreasonable request when you get breakfast the next morning at a time that suits you. Wet suits to be dried outside, walking shoes, kept downstairs (it beggars belief that some need reminding not to tread sheep (and other) muck around a room they are to sleep in). If you play music or watch tv be mindful of other guests, all fair enough. After hanging out the dual aspect windows, watching the sunset, admiring the landscape and guzzling champagne, we slept like babies in the 6' by 6' bed.

Hubby is a vegetarian and used to doubling up on mushrooms etc to pad out his brekkie knowing this Heather went into town the same day to find gluten, msg free alternatives to make up a proper veggie English. For four days we breakfasted like kings, homemade bread, croissants baked that morning. The full English I can and will recommend, to say nothing of the fresh fruit platter with Greek yoghurt. I’m four pounds heavier and I’m not sorry. We couldn’t have been better looked after.

What a treat, one that we deserved and we can’t wait to go back.

Room Tip: Dual aspect room, sunsets to the west, wild Devon landscape to the north.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
r0xx, Owner at Victoria House, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We felt very relaxed with you, you were super guests and we look forward to welcoming you back. i hope lots of spoiling of the birthday boy went on when you got home!!
Dorset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We have just returned from a lovely & relaxing stay at Victoria House.
This is our 2nd visit and we weren't let down, everything was a wonderful as we'd remembered.
The breakfast are amazing and we didn't need to eat again till dinner!!
Heather & David were as welcoming as ever.
We slept like logs which was just what the doctor ordered.
Will be returning again in the future.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
r0xx, Owner at Victoria House, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
Thank you for your comments, it was lovely to see you again. We have started up a Facebook account for Victoria House Bed and Breakfast, you are the first to be mentioned! We just wanted to share what a lovely start to the season it was to have 2 sets of lovely guests.
Taunton, Somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

We stayed in the Beach house for August bank holiday last year. I meant to write a review then. Anyway, it was absolutley wonderful. Thank you so much Heather and Dave. You really couldn't improve on anything. So sorry that we've missed out on the same weekend this year, but we'll be back in August sometime. It was heaven snuggled on the day bed on the decking drinking chilled white wine and watching the sunset over the bay. WOW!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
r0xx, Owner at Victoria House, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
I'm so pleased that we have managed to rearrange things so that you can come back for August Bank Holiday, we are so looking forward to seeing you.
We have met some wonderful people in the 9 years we have been doing B&B and welcoming people back is like having family come to visit!
See you soon.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

We have just spent a brilliant weekend staying in the lovely beach house annexe of Victoria House. Everything was perfect - the hosts were really welcoming and friendly, ready to do anything for us but without being at all intrusive. The accommodation is very comfortable - lovely and warm despite low night-time temperatures outside! The view from the room is exceptional - a panorama of the bay and the island of Lundy, with a beautiful sunset enjoyed fron the comfort and privacy of the outside deck, which really does make the whole experience something pretty special! The breakfast is to die for and it is so nice being able to take your time in the morning and have a late breakfast if you want to. The surrounding area is full of lovely walks and the pub in Mortehoe village (Chichester Arms) is close by and well worth a visit. Impossible to see how anyone could fault this B and B - thank God we were not put off by a single bad review since our experience was totally positive - we are going to recommend it all our friends and will definitely be back! Robin and Marie-Christine - Bristol.

Room Tip: The beach house is really special!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
r0xx, Owner at Victoria House, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
Thank you Robin and Marie-Christine, it was lovely to meet you both. We look forward to welcoming you back when it's nice and warm and you can sit on the day bed and enjoy a glass or two!!
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

My partner Ben and I stayed recently at this fantastic bed and breakfast. We also came for Valentine's day last year and had a wonderful time. We stayed in the boathouse which is secluded and private with stunning views across the sea. Heather and David were extremely kind and accommodating, no request was too small and the breakfasts were great - amazing pancakes kept coming - and Heather had even arranged my special diet requests. The room was cosy with special (Clarins!!) extras in the bathroom and the location is next to the best beaches in North Devon. We highly recommend this place - we're so happy we found it.

Room Tip: They're all good and have great views.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Victoria House? Share your experiences!