“Step back in time” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Lifton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Dingles Fairground Heritage Centre is the home of the National Fairground Collection. It is a facility unique in the UK, designed to capture the magic of a bygone age through exhibits, vintage engineering and stunning artwork displays. Dingles Fairground Heritage Centre is a 45,000 square foot indoor attraction that provides a unique opportunity to view and interact with our Fairground Heritage in a beautiful rural location.Come and enjoy All the Fun of the Vintage Fair - our historic rides, shows and stalls operate for your enjoyment, and at a small additional cost.Vintage Penny Arcade, Cafe, Gift Shop. Free Parking.See our website for further information and details of special events.
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Step back in time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

A fantastic day out, we all had a great time. Lots of rides and machines to play on all at a reasonable price too. The dodgems were by far better than the ones nowadays much faster and smoother. I could list them all but there are too many. A great day out and well signposted from the main roads. All the staff were very friendly and helpful too

Visited August 2013

Bristol, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
“Memory Lane”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Brilliant. More deserving of National Trust support as part of our culture than 'the Big Brother house!!

Visited October 2013
London, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
“ALL THE FUN OF THE FAIR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

This place is not a theme park but is an excellent step back in time, to the fair of yesteryear.
Admission is £8 for adults and £6 for children. Family tickets are also available.

Upon entrance, the centre is split into 2 areas. Area 1 is a build up to the fair with some stalls , old time slot machines at anything between 1p to 10p a go. You wont win big bucks here but you will have so much fun and enjoyment remembering the slots from days gone by. I spent about an hour enjoying these tuppenny falls, one arm bandits and other intriguing slots from the 20s,30s and 40s. When i moved on i doubt i had spent £1 but had a great time with my wife and son.
The place is adorned with fair posters, artwork, showmens living caravans,trucks and even scale models of rides and trucks.
There is much information regarding fairs, rides and it is a great educational centre for everyone.
Area 2 as i will call it, is just so back in time. To me i was back in the 60s. Whilst there is 5 large working funfair rides, 3 are rides that you dont see often if at all anymore.
The music playing on the rides just goes with the nostalgia.

Despite these rides being old, boy they are fast. In all fairness to the staff the speed of the rides depended on the age of children riding at the time. It was fun for everyone.
The rides are operated by purchasing tokens and apart from the dodgems the rides were £1 a time. The dodgems were £1.50. I will add you get lengthy rides.

The dogems are by far the largest track i have ever seen and the cars the fastest i have driven. We all had so much fun.
A must is "THE ARK" i have not been on one of these machines since the 70s and to me is by far the best ride at the centre.
The artwork and condition has to be seen. The ghost train is by far one of the best i have ever ridden and my wife screamed non stop. Ok she may have been a big baby but it was still scary.

Another great ride was "THE SKID" ride this and remember David Essex in "That Will Be The Day"
Its difficult to highlight how good this place is but it is a total step back in time.

There also some smaller rides for the younger children.

It was commented on this site that staff were slow operating rides. From what i could see the 3 or 4 staff members operate all the rides in turn and it works well. You just jump on the ride and when 1 machine stops the next will start.
They are also safety minded and oversee a good day.
All the staff we spoke to were very friendly.

Its a great clean, friendly place for a trip back in time.

All this place needs is 1 or 2 more riders and away we go. (joke)

Visited September 2013
Plymouth, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
“Good rainy day attraction”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We've just returned from a visit to Dingles Fairground. I have been meaning to go for a while but never got round to it, so today along with my 4 year old we thought we would give it a try.
The place was really well posted from Tavistock which is very helpful.

When we arrived the gentleman at the entrance was so friendly and really good to us, could not fault any of the staff, very happy to help and enthusiastic.
The museum was really interesting although not so much for my 4 year old as he wanted to get in the exhibits. The fairground area was a little smaller than I imagined and although we had fun it wasn't somewhere we could spend the day as my little one didn't like the loud noises from the rides. Although we did have fun in the mirrors!

It could work out expensive if you were a bigger family as most rides worked out a £1 a ride but it was a long turn though. I would have liked to seen a carousel so I could have gone on a horse with my child but unfortunantly there wasn't one that we saw. It was a little limited for us due to only having a few small people rides and very noisy.

We went to the cafe and it appeared very reasonably priced with a good range of freshly cooked food, many cakes where also available which looked very tasty. We just got drinks so cannot comment on the food but did look nice.

I would like to revisit in the future but I would do this when my son is older, so able to go on all the rides and appreciate the museum aspect.

I feel its a nice play to go on a rainy day but I wouldn't expect to be there for hours on end a morning or afternoon would be sufficent.

Visited September 2013
St Austell, United Kingdom
64 attraction reviews
“A Great Visir”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I visited on a day when there was an auction of vintage equipment associated with stem and fairgrounds and whilst there visited the Fairground Heritage Centre. It was very interesting although none of the rides were operational. I would recommend a visit when the Centre is fully operational and hope to do so myself

Visited October 2012