A return visit to Combe House, and the warmest of welcomes on a cold March afternoon. For most hotels, when you return, al the staff have changed but not at Combe House – there may be some new smiling faces but many of them are familiar faces and they all provide hospitality to the highest of standards.
Our William Pitt room was a delight and charming with a huge/ long free standing roll top bath to relax in. Everything fits in with the country house feel – if you must have a kettle etc they will provide it – but why bother when staff are happy to bring you a tray of tea or better still drink it in one of the lounges by a warming log fire.
What a lovely idea to provide hot water bottles as part of the turn down service.
Dining at the hotel is a complete experience not too be missed – from the moment the canopies arrive through being guided through the range of items on the menu and the advice on which wine to accompany each course. The wine list is a wonderful resource of information but if stuck Ken or one of the team will guide you through it.
The food itself was a delight with the variety of different tastes within each course utilising local produce – and local often means from the garden outside. The presentation of the dishes maks them a picture on the plate. The dining room has its own charm and the serving staff are always friendly and charming and keen to ensure that the whole meal experience is enjoyable – they are attentive but not overbearing.
You must take a walk around the hotel’s gardens – hopefully you will meet one of the gardeners who will explain how the gardens (and the follies & chickens) have been restored and developed over the years.
Breakfast hits the spot – an ideal mix of help yourself buffet and freshly cooked dishes served to you. The glorious Devon views from your breakfast table will make you appreciate the countryside even more.
Ken & Ruth Hunt , the on-site owners, have been there nearly 15 years and their vision has become reality – but they have not rested on their laurels and continue to develop the hotel in an appropriate way. The hotel is wonderful, the staff team are amazing, the gardens are charming can’t wait to return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award For Excellence - Conde Nast Johansens 2014. In Top Best Foodie Hotels in SW England - voted by readers of Food magazine. Combe House Devon is a stunning 450-year old Elizabethan Manor, set in 3,500 acres of one of Devon's finest estates. It's informal, relaxing and hugely romantic, and wherever you wander (and there's quite a bit of it) something magnificent catches the eye. Devon foodies will undoubtedly have heard of Combe House. The acclaimed restaurant is highly praised as one of the best in the south west, and service is genuinely faultless. There is loads of local game and fresh fish and most of the vegetable and herbs come from the restored Victorian kitchen gardens. The support for local producers and seasonal dishes here is obsessive - and with good reason. The restaurants are popular and The Good Food Guide 2014 describes Combe House as a 'seductive hotel with seriously good dining'. Hadleigh Barrett and Stuart Brown, Master Chefs of Great Britain, are responsible for a changing menu packed with interesting meat and fish options, from scallops with creamy tarragon gnocchi to seared duck breast with braised red cabbage. The cellar is what you'd expect from a grand old country house - but all wines are chosen less to impress than serve the season, mood or nature of their dishes. Eat in one of two spacious dining rooms with traditional fire places. Admire the murals, relish the atmosphere, enjoy the flavours from mercifully well-spaced tables. You'll always receive a warm welcome - it's best to book ahead for lunch and dinner. Genuine hospitality is always on the menu. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, MrandMrsSmith and Booking.com so you can book your Combe House Devon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Combe House Devon Hotel Gittisham
- Combe Hotel Exeter
- Combe Hotel Devon
- Combe House Devon Gittisham