“wedding reception” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtlands House

Courtlands House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Exmouth
Courtlands House
You added Courtlands House to your Saves list
Courtlands Lane, Exmouth, England   |
Ranked #20 of 25 Exmouth B&B and Inns
“wedding reception”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

I have got to disagree with some of the comments we just came back from a wedding reception the food was excellent and hot seeing that there was about 80 guests service was superb as for the drinks the drinks prices was what you would expect from a venue such as this we had no problem with the disco and would recommend this place to anyone also superb location overlooking the estuary

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Exmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I feel I have to disagree with some of the reviewers as we have just had a most pleasant family reunion there and were very pleased with our choice. The situation is ideal and we were lucky to be able to take lovely shots with the background of the Exe. It was also very safe for very little children to play in the garden.
The staff was welcoming and very friendly especially Sue and her assistant. The 3 course meal was much appreciated by everyone, adults and children. We even took back home the wine that we had not drunk!
Should we return, we would however not choose the fruit cocktail as an entrée, as my French relatives thought it was hilarious to start the meal with a dessert ! But we could not complain about the size of the helpings. They were enormous!
Thank you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Newport
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

I was a guest at a wedding in this hotel and for convenience booked a double room there. On arrival we were well greeted and my wife was shown to the room whilst I paid the £105 for the night. The room was well furnished and a comfortable size. A section of skirting board showed signs of dry rot but there was not the smell that is usually associated with it.
The wedding room is very good and was well decorated for the occasion. The outside space is really great for the photos with the lovely back drop of the River Exe. The wedding breakfast food was very efficiently served and was all hot and of good quality. An evening buffet was given FOC by the hotel and this too was very good. A disco was held in the evening and this progressed without disturbance to guests that did not want to be in there.
The hotel bar is well stocked and reasonably priced for the venue. The bar staff were friendly and effiecient.
On return to the room, no heating was available but it was not a cold enough night to get dressed and go and make a fuss about it. In the morning I ran the hot tap for more than 15 minutes before the water ran above tepid. I showered under a poorly maintained huge fixed showerhead ( I hate those) and after scraping off some limescale managed to get a half reasonable shower.
I mentioned the shortfalls to the manageress but was offered no redress. I did not press the point as I did not want to embarass the other guests that were around me.
Breakfast was served to about 20 of us by one hard pressed but never the less very hard working and efficient waitress. The breakfast was adequate.
I would not stay at this hotel again as the overall value of this stay was low. They need to invest in maintenance and people skills.
The outstanding person at this hotel is the French Maitre de...absolutely professional.

Room Tip: Do not allow them to shove you into the "Garden View" room as this is in a wing to the mai...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Paignton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

DO NOT book this venue for a wedding or party if you are planning to have a disco or live band as part of your celebration. They insist on using a noise limiter with a crazily low threshold which cuts off the music and plunges the crowd into darkness as soon as anybody starts enjoying themselves.

Impossible for a live band to play using any amplification. Also draconian management insisted that the wedding gig/disco I was playing/Djing at stopped exactly at midnight - before the bride and groom could enjoy their last dance.

I totally understand the need not to make a noise nuisance and upset neighbours but the management of The Courtland should warn clients that live music/discos are not possible because the noise limit allowed is so low.

Drinks also very over priced.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Courtlands House? Share your experiences!