“Weekend Away in Exmouth with the Family” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fernside Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Exmouth
Fernside Hotel
You added Fernside Hotel to your Saves list
1 Dagmar Road, Exmouth EX8 2AN, England   |
Ranked #4 of 25 Exmouth B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Weekend Away in Exmouth with the Family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Fernside Hotel in Exmouth the weekend of Oct 26th, 2012. This was the second time we stayed here because we had had a great experience the year before.

This year was no different. The hotel is clean and charming, the rooms light and airy, the shower was powerful and only a short walk to either the beach or the town. The food too was excellent - we had a delicious and filling traditional English breakfast on both mornings, and on the Saturday night, Giles cooked us both a steak with mushroom sauce and boiled potatoes. Delicious!

Also all the staff were very friendly and patient with our two year old daughter.

We'll definitely stay at the Fernside Hotel again the next time we stay in Exmouth.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
savvy_traveller23, Manager at Fernside Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Malia and I are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us again and found everything to your liking. It was great getting to know you while you were here and we look forward to seeing you next year sometime. We hope your house wasn't damaged when you returned home, and hope Grace enjoyed her trip to the UK.

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
looe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Stayed over the half term with my husband and son and having never been to Exmouth before was pleased that hotel is very central for both the beach and the town.The staff are all very friendly and welcoming and our room being the family room was spacious and it was so nice to find a hotel where they have good housekeeping staff as it is spotless.The breakfasts each morning were great and brillient to be asked if we want more tea and coffee rather than the standard one pot you normally get for breakfast.Only two points to make: first the continental breakfast could be a bit better as there are so many cheeses to buy could have been a better presentation and choice and like another guest pointed out our room although great could do with a few pictures to add a splash of colour to the decor,as the room was a liitle bland colour scheme wise.All in all will come back again when next in Exmouth as a really lovely hotel

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments, Malia and I are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at Fernside and we hope to see you again. I will endeavour to upgrade our continental breakfast as I do agree that, while it is a nutritious breakfast, it might lack a little of the 'wow' factor that the full english breakfasts can have. I also agree on the lack of pictures in Room 5, the large family room. Previous comments about the rooms on the 2nd floor have been addressed with me taking a hammer and nail to several places but I have now begun the search to find suitable artwork for the large family room. Hopefully by the time you return it will be much more eye-catching.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Worcestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I took my two grandchildren for a few days holiday. The hotel was lovely with well designed and equipped rooms/bathroom. Everywhere was clean which is very important to me. All the staff including the hosts were friendly and welcoming and did the best to make sure we had what we needed.

The breakfasts were excellent too. Didn't have any other meals there.

However, there was one problem. When booking I explained quite categorically that I needed car parking as I was disabled. I was promised a car parking space but when I got there one was not available and was told it was first come first served. Also there were too many steps.

Fortunately I can walk a bit so did manage and the manager tried to accommodate me but the parking was a big problem as were the amount of steps. This is a pity because I would definitely have gone back to the hotel otherwise.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments Janice and we take on board everything you have said. I'm glad you found everything with the room and the breakfast to your liking and hope your grandchildren enjoyed their break by the sea. I fully understand the difficulties that arose from the lack of parking and it is something we are looking at in more detail. I hope that this doesn't tarnish your perception of Fernside and I hope to see you and your family again in the future.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed here for a long weekend and can't really fault the place. Easy to book online, great location, lovely hosts and a fantastic breakfast! We had an attic room at the top of the house which was lovely - nice amount of space and lovely and light. The room had a contemporary feel to it, but it would perhaps of benefitted form a picture or two on the walls - it did feel a little bare. That's the only (tiny) thing I would mention as a flaw....

I will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
savvy_traveller23, Manager at Fernside Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for your review Jessica, Malia and I really appreciate it. We're both glad that you enjoyed staying here and that you found us clean and contemporary. I agree that some pictures on the walls would be good in the attic rooms, I will make it my mission to fill up some of the empty wall space. I hope we see you again next time you are down this way visiting your mother.
Thanks again.

Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Fernside is a lovely seaside B&B also offering evening meals and has a small bar with a good selection of reasonably priced beverages. Nothing is too much trouble, Greg & Malia are excellent hosts and Greg has to be complimented on his choice of butcher, possibly the best steak we've ever eaten and full English breakfast first class! The whole place is spotless and the communal areas and our room looked freshly decorated. Fernside will definitely be our first choice for accommodation for any future visits to Exmouth.

Room Tip: Steps to the front door and stairs (especially to rooms 9 & 10) would be difficult for any one w...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you Cathy for your kind words, it's great to know you enjoyed your stay with us at Fernside and that you'll be back in the future. I'll pass on your kind words to the butcher, and will make sure sirloin is on the menu next time you come to see us. Thank you for pointing out our grapevine, I can't believe I'd never noticed it before. All the best.

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This was the only hotel in the area that put thereselves out for me and my Dad, who has Parkinson's disease and need specific requirements.
We stayed there just over a week in September 2012 and the service was exceptional. The room we had was big enough for our needs and the beds were very comfy Breakfasts were good and the evening meals were out of this world, I would highly recommend this hotel for its compfort and hospertallity. It takes about five - ten minutes walk to get to the town centre and about five minutes walk to the sea front. We have friends in Exmouth and go there quite frequently and I would not hesitate to book up again in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
savvy_traveller23, Manager at Fernside Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Thank you Piers for your kind words and it was lovely to meet you and your father. I'm so glad that you found everything to your liking and we will endeavour to offer you the same room when you come back next time. I will make sure to keep the evening meals just as tasty too.

Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Have now stayed twice in the Fernside Hotel and each time has been excellent. The staff put themselves out to cater to your every need and the hotel is spotless. My husband and I only stay a few days at a time because we visit Exmouth to see friends rather than for holiday purposes. We can definitely recommend and will be staying there in future, as we cannot fault it for everything you need. It is within walking distance of everything, the sea, town centre and everything. Why would you stay anywhere else !

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking road are extremely spacious !
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely comments Jean, they are very much appreciated and it's great to know we are doing something right. We are so pleased that you and your husband found everything to your liking and we would love to see you again soon. We will make sure to give you the same room next time you come to stay.

Manager

Been to Fernside Hotel? Share your experiences!