“24 hour stay at Exmoor Forest Inn” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Inn   |   Simonsbath, Exmoor National Park TA24 7SH, England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Simonsbath B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“24 hour stay at Exmoor Forest Inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I have stayed off and on at The Exmoor Forest Inn over the last 25 years, so I have seen changes, but it remains on old favourite.

I had no hesitation in choosing the Inn for an overnight stay in September, as I knew I would be served an excellent dinner in the bar, be able to have a good night's sleep in a comfortable bedroom, and receive a reliable breakfast. The Inn did not disappoint me with these.

One word of warning though; some dinners are smaller than others, and my pigeon starter, sea trout main course and pudding of a chocolate mousse, while excellent could all have been more generous in size. I do not have a large appetite, but I reckon to be well filled after three courses.

The greatest shame about the Inn is that the residents' sitting room, which was so homely, warm and comfortable under former owners, these days is stark, coldly lit and not at all inviting. An inn in the middle of Exmoor, where one spends exhausting days in the open, really does need a cosseting sitting room where one can talk to other guests or just dose, To be in convivial surroundings I would rather not have to spend my evening on a hard bar chair or have to retire to my bedroom for comfort. Additionally, the dining room, where breakfast is served these days, used to be well furnished, cosy and a pleasure to go in, but it suffers in much the same way as the sitting room, alas. It is for these reasons that I have rated the Inn as average.

Service is friendly and efficient.

I'll stay again.

Tim Newman

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Lovely room, décor was lovely and very, very clean. Nice touch with a bottle of water and toiletries in the room. The food was excellent and the breakfast was delicious. Certainly very good value for. A good base and would stay there again without hesitation

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Wadebridge, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I spent just one night here, we wish we could have stayed longer. The staff, restaurant, room was excellent. Will be back one day, we can certainly recommend this Inn. We went for a lovely walk just down the road from the Inn. We walked to Cow castle and up through the woods until we reached Pick Stone farm, then back to the car. The scenery was stunning and our trip to Exmoor was complete when we spotted Deer in the Valley.

Taunton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

This was the second year that I have organised a weekend cycling in Exmoor for myself and 11 friends basing ourselves at the Exmoor Forest Inn. We had a great weekend again this year - beer great, food fantastic and staff friendly. Already booked for next year.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stopped here for the last night of our walk on the Two Moors Way. The welcome was warm and the room clean and cozy. Rooms were spacious and there was plenty of hot water. Bath robes were a nice touch. The bar and dining area was informal and the food and service very good. Local real ale was on offer and perfectly conditioned! Our host was very accommodating, getting up early to serve us a breakfast and see us on our way. A great location and quite reasonably priced. Walkers genuinely welcome. Very much recommended.

Abercynon, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My wife and I took my dad off for a weekend to the Exmoor Forest Inn. It was set in a beautiful location and just what you expect from a country inn. We had a relaxing few days driving around, walking and visiting some of the local villages and towns. The highlight of the weekend was the enjoyable evenings spent in the bar and restaurant enjoying some drinks and the excellent food. It was friendly and laid back and the staff and their dogs made us feel very welcome.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Paphos, Cyprus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Good central position in Exmoor, the staff were very friendly and helpful very enjoyable food. The room was large and clean and comfortable.

The only negative point was that although there is no mobile signal which is no fault of the hotel as they cannot control this. Wifi was available although in our room (room 8) the signal was very weak due to the distance our room was from the router.We would have liked to use our computer for researching the surrounding area
I would recommend a Wifi booster to be fitted on the top floor to overcome this

Room Tip: Room 8 on top floor large light and quiet