“Hungry” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Martinhoe B&B and Inns
Derby, United Kingdom
“Hungry”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Our first visit to North Devon, exploring the amazing scenery and hidden valleys of Exmoor. We followed the "Hunters Inn" tourist signs for miles along narrow tree lined lanes, thirsty and hungry for a late lunch as it was approaching 3 O'clock on this warm August Saturday afternoon.

An imposing building set in beautiful countryside miles from anywhere with a National Trust visitor centre adjacent.
It was busy, obviously popular with ramblers but looked a bit jaded and dingy as we searched for a table.. with many eating it was making us more hungry for sustenance.

CAN YOU BELIEVE..a popular walkers pub on a tourist trail with NO competition for miles around STOPS SERVING FOOD AT 3pm ON A SATURDAY AFTERNOON!! We left in disgust, maybe we could get a sandwich at the NT visitor centere.. but NO. They have an agreement with the pub not to sell food..

DavidOrton, Owner at The Hunters Inn, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
I am sorry that you were unhappy that we stop serving main food at 3pm; we do continue with cakes, cream teas and tea cakes all day.
The kitchen staff need the time from between 3pm and 6pm to prepare food for the evening, the space in the kitchen does not allow us to prepare and serve food simultaneously. We advertise our food times on our website and most people wanting to eat after lunch would normally make a booking, we are often able to make alternative arrangements given some notice.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

short vist but a great place to stay in N.Devon. Quirky in some respects but good for a nice weekend break with the North coast within easy reach. Excellent location we arrived after a long day and everything was so relaxed on arrival, checked in headed for the bar and sat enjoying e wonderful views. Ate in restaurant in the evening which was reasonable and good service. Its a country hotel so please enjoy that rather than expect the Ritz!

Room Tip: There was some building work going on which the owner was keen to explain. This was an overnight sta...
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Set off in the morning and walked around Heddon Valley and the gorgeous Woody Bay and were back in time for a late lunch. We Ordered baguettes from the bar’s Specials menu; the lamb & homemade mint sauce was delicious as was the pork and apple sauce (though not a great meat-to-fat ratio in the latter). Accompanied by a pint of delicious traditional Devonshire cider and beautiful views. Relatively good value and a pretty perfect end to the Bank Holiday Weekend.

Somerset
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

The location is, without a doubt, stunning and probably the best you will find in the South West. However, the hotel itself could be improved upon. We started on slightly a bad foot when, upon arrival we were told that we had been put in a different room to the one we had specifically requested, which spoilt things for us slightly. We were told the one we had been put in instead was a 'superior' room, but to be honest it didn't feel like that. The carpet was very stained, the enamel on the bathtub was chipped and the whole room had a bit of a tired feel. The hotel itself has lots of character and charm, but it feels as if maybe someone has lost the passion for it and has let standards slip?

The staff were somewhat hit and miss. Some were the epitome of charm and friendliness, in particular the bar staff and the waitress who served us at breakfast were nothing but pleasant. On arrival, however, we did wait a while before we were acknowledged and the greeting wasn't particularly warm.

We've been left with slightly mixed feelings about our stay. We did enjoy it, and feel that £150 for dinner, bed and breakfast is very good, but some things just need a bit more care and attention. We would stop in for lunch or a drink again, but I don't think we would use the hotel facilities again.

DavidOrton, Owner at The Hunters Inn, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for leaving your review.
I am sorry that you arrival was a little confused. As I explained at the time, when your booking came through I noted that you were staying with us for a few days and thought putting you in larger rooms would be helpful, I am sorry that I missed that one was supposed to be a twin; however when I was told I immediately correct my mistake.
We are at the end of a busy season and one or two of the rooms are starting to show some wear and tear; unfortunately the previous resident dropped a glass of red wine on the carpet and failed to tell us. The house keeper cleaned the carpet prior to your arrival but there has been left a stain. The carpet will be replaced in a few weeks.
There has been no loss of passion, we are continually making improvements to the Inn and hope that you will come and visit in the not to distant future to see this.

Kind regards
David
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We have wanted to stay at Hunters Inn for some time. As teenagers my wife and I used to stay in the area and always passed the inn on the way to Heddons Mouth. Now in our fifties we decided to go back. Before visiting I read some trip advisor reports, which were not so complimentary and I was a bit concerned that it may not live up to our expectations. However We were pleasantly surprised by all aspects of the hotel.
For anyone who has read any of my reviews you will see that I rarely mark highly especially on the quality of the food but this hotel got everything spot on and I find it difficult to understand some of the negative reviews I have seen. The Location is one of the most beautiful and peaceful in the country. The Food is exceptional for a Hotel. Probably one of the best plate of Mussels I have ever had. The staff were relaxed and friendly. Libby in particular really looked after us and was very enthusiastic.
The rooms were simple, very comfortable, a good size and importantly clean.
I spoke with the Manager who told me that they have been working hard to get it right and I think they have gone a long way to achieving this. It is well worth a visit.
Places to visit include a Stunning beach at Woolacombe, lovely town of Lynton & Lynmouth and Watersmeet is also a beautiful location.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dunstable, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

From my first conversation with David the owner on the phone booking our four day break I could tell this was going to be a very pleasant experience. David was very helpful with information about directions to nearby family and very welcoming of our two rather large dogs.

We were early on arrival and although busy, we were taken to our room to drop off bags, the housekeeping staff were still there, but made us feel so comfortable and not in the way after a friendly exchange we took to the bar for a drink and gave the dogs a run through one of the many local walks.

All the staff made our stay memorable, they do work extremely hard but always with a welcoming smile always and advice on how to manage the countryside with our suburban dogs (thank you Caroline).

The food was great all round. The room had all we needed with a lovely four poster bed and plenty of room for the dogs. Local entertainment in the bar was certainly worth seeing.

If you are looking for a peaceful break and love walking this is the place for you, any dog owners would love it as our boys were made so welcome.

We plan a return.

Telford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were looking forward to a good meal in a wonderful location and were extremely disappointed by the quality of the food and the lack of care taken with presentation. At these prices, a leaf salad should be dressed with something a little more interesting than cold water and not so obviously bunged on the plate. The potatoes were hard, my son's burger was uninspiring and his mixed salad was the same as ours with the addition of half a cherry tomato and a single slice of cucumber. This place is trading on its location and we won't be coming back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
DavidOrton, Owner at The Hunters Inn, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meal, I would have appreciated you letting me know at the time so I could have addressed your complaint.
The Burger is repeatedly praised as being 'Wonderful' by our customers being made from 8oz of quality beef, and having bacon and mature melted cheddar and being served with Chunky Chips.

The salad is lightly dressed and is a garnish only, if you had wanted extra dressing or anything else we would have been happy to oblige.

I am sorry that the new potatoes were a little hard.

Been to The Hunters Inn? Share your experiences!