“Not what it used to be” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Bakery
Description: Tea room in village of Exford offering comprehensive menu
Description: Tea room in village of Exford offering comprehensive menu
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“Not what it used to be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I reckon our family have been coming here since the fifties, dont really like the bright colour, not very exmoor, much more of the green cups simple decor and the best cream teas only second the the tea rooms at horner

Visited May 2012

Dulverton, United Kingdom
“NIce friendly establishment.Good food,”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I liked this place when went in for lunch with my wife. I Live in & work around Exmoor and try to pop into the local placces to eat and have a coffee! It make the money go round our lovely place. I had a really nice ploughmans salad. A lovely cup of fresh coffee and dessert afterwards. I believe the owners of then are now gone and I have not been in there since. However I am aware that who ever is now running the tea rooms are doing well. Have not heard anything ontoward.

tearoomtom, Owner at Exford Bridge tea rooms, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Many thanks for the review, much appreciated. I would just like to point out that we have been here for 7 years and are not new owners.
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Lovely Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Very friendly, very accommodating and excellent value for money! Lovely food all cooked to order and would recommend.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“handy little cafe”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Unlike the previous reviewer we parked down the road so fortunately were able to enter the café without any previous, so to speak. Inside was bigger than we expected and there were quite a few customers considering it was rather late for lunch. Settled for the two course lunch deal, beef bourguignon followed by spotted dick. The proprietor it has to be said was not the most cheerful of sorts but was never rude, the missus however was cheerful. Service was perhaps a little long and while we were waiting my girlfriend read a magazine of the window sill, she exclaimed that there was a really good new car deal to be had. I then pointed out that the magazine was ten years old! Honestly for ten years the same magazine hanging around in the café. Enjoyed the food, nicely portioned for lunch and reckon it was good value, so would recommend the café.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, England, United Kingdom
“Mr Grumpy's Tea Room”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Desperate to recover from the misery of a wet campsite, imagine our delight to discover the Exford Bridge Tea Rooms by the side of the babbling river: the perfect place, we thought, for a relaxing, friendly and restorative brunch.

Alas, parking in what appeared to be a public car park, adorned with adverts for the Exford Bridge Tea Rooms, we were assailed by a bearded gentleman who was washing his car in the rain. He barked "Excuse me, is that your car?". As we had just alighted, we answered in the affirmative. "The Car Park's over there: can't you see the signs?" We pointed out that there was nothing to say this wasn't a public car park, but he continued to bark at us as he wrung the neck of his sponge.

The bearded gentleman, it turned out, was the genial host of the Exford Bridge Tea Rooms.

Slightly taken aback by the bearded gentleman's innovative marketing strategy, we mentioned at this point that all we had wanted was to go to the Exford Bridge Tea Rooms: "We don't want people like you" was the response.

At this point we decided we would not be brunching at the Exford Bridge Tea Rooms that morning. We left the bearded proprietor of the Exford Bridge Tea Rooms to polish his car in the rain.

We'd like to take this opportunity to humbly offer some advice to Mrs Exford Bridge Tea Rooms (Sybil?): some people are not temperamentally suited to public-facing service businesses. It may just be that your husband (Basil?) falls into this category. His place is in the attic. Doing the accounts. Behind a locked and bolted door.

By the way, the Tantivy Cafe at Dulverton does an excellent all day breakfast.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
tearoomtom, Owner at Exford Bridge tea rooms, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
I saw the reviewers in question in my car park obviously getting ready to go for a walk ,donning waterproof and wet weather clothing . You do not do this if you are going to a tearooms about 10 yards away.
I confronted one of the men as he was leaving my car park and heading down the road, he said he thought it was a public car park as there where no signs (there are 6 signs saying Tearooms Car Park Only). Once they realised that they had made a mistake they started to make excuses saying that they where going to come in for breakfast, you don’t normally do this in wet weather gear!
Please come back and sample our food and you can write a constructive review and after you have eaten you can leave your car and go for a walk.