“Great site!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cofton Country Holidays

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dawlish
Cofton Country Holidays
You added Cofton Country Holidays to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   Starcross, Dawlish EX6 8RP, England   |
“Great site!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Just returned from a 5 day break and I have to say this site is lovely it's kept clean and tidy and has great facilities, the staff are friendly and helpful, we will definitely be going back Thanks for a lovely time.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Helen S, Manager at Cofton Country Holidays, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

We are delighted to hear you had a lovely stay with us and will pass on your comments to our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Cofton again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I first started visting this corner of Devon, at the age of 15months old, at a now defunct campsite called Stover - Which backed onto Trago Mills near Newton Abbot.

myself and my Mum and Dad holidayed there until I was about 11/12 when the site was bought out by Trago Mills. -

We spent our last holiday at Stover, trawling up and down the A379 / A38 in search of a campsite that could match the enjoyment Stover offered. alas. nowhere did.

as we packed up to come home, from our final stay at Stover in June 1998, we had what we thought would be one final look around Dawlish, we didnt think we would ever come down to Devon again, as all the other sites were nothing in comparision to Stover.

As we travelled down the A379 we stumbled almost accidently upon Cofton, and what a superb accident to make! - Now, some 16 years later, I am still going there roughly twice a year..

I started going with my parents at 13, and now at 27 Im taking my partner and two Children down.

The new complex, actually pleasently suprised me, anyone who has holidayed there in the past, will recall the trampolines, that I used to love, but since they were sadly removed, children had nothing until this complex was built - and its superb!

At first I was a little apprehensive about the installation of this complex, I thought it may become to commercialised, and end up like a glorifed Butlins, however In true Cofton fashion, it has only improved what is already a phenominal site!

I was there in May, and am already packing to go back in July! - COFTON <3

Room Tip: Caravan 49 is a cracking location
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for yet another fantastic review.

It’s lovely to hear that you started visiting Cofton as a child and now continue to visit with your own children.

The New Complex and Indoor Pool has been a great success for Cofton, we have worked really hard to make Cofton different from many other holiday parks. Your feedback reassures us that we are taking Cofton in the right direction.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again in July.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

First visit to Cofton this weekend and certainly wont be our last, very helpful staff, nothing was too much trouble for them. We pitched in 10 acre field overlooking the park which our 2 children loved. We were able to relax outside our van and keep an eye on them playing without them feeling like we were hovering over them. Toilet blocks were very clean at all times, family bathroom is a brilliant idea especially with the two children. New complex is amazing, lovely pool and facilities. Only negative point I would make is that there is a rule that says about noise in the park after 10pm, there was noise there until well after that on two nights so maybe this should be an area that the onsite security should possibly monitor further. Apart from that fabulous weekend, camt wait for another!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Kerry

Thank you for uploading a review about your first Cofton visit. I’m so pleased to hear that you intend on returning with your family for another break. How lovely for you and your children for them to be given that bit more freedom, whilst still being able to keep an eye on them. That’s one of the benefits to be found on the Ten Acre Field. The raked levels allow a good line of sight for our guests, as well as some spectacular views.

It may also be beneficial for you to know that there is also a play area on the front fields, behind the onsite fish and chip shop. This area is popular with parents too, for similar reasons. I’m sorry that you had some noise disturbance during your stay. Our park rule is actually for quiet shortly after the 11pm latest closing time for the complex and bars.

If there was noise beyond that time, I do apologise. I will ask our security staff to be vigilant. We always keep the security telephone number on reception door when the office is closed, should the need ever arise.

We look forward to welcoming you all back to Cofton soon.
Ottery St. Mary, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

My daughter found this lovely park through a Wowcher deal. We were very pleasantly surprised when we arrived having been to many caravan parks before. The standard of our 2 bed roomed caravan was superb, with everything we could need. The park itself had everything we needed for a two and a half year old toddler, her parents and grandparents. We didn't see much of the grounds as the weather was very wet on and off. we will definitely go back. The camping fields looked excellent too.

Room Tip: we upgraded to a two bed room caravan because we had a toddler with us and we wanted her to have a r...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. How nice that you were to find us by chance and that you were so pleasantly surprised. It’s lovely to hear that you found something here for the three generations of your family to enjoy. This is the kind of experience we endeavour to achieve and I’m delighted that you mentioned it in your feedback.

Our grounds staff work tirelessly to keep the site looking its best, so I’ll be sure to pass on your kind words to them. Hopefully the weather will be on your side for your next visit, so that you may get to enjoy the fruits of their labour even more. We look forward to seeing you all again.
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

II will start with the camp,the caravan we stayed in was excellent,the club room ,catering,and entertainment was the best we have ever used.The grounds of the camp were very clean and well looked after,we enjoined the walk round the fishing lakes,The club room had a large dance floor which we made use of.The staff on the site were very helpful.We are going back this may 2014 for the country and western week.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Hereford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We have just returned from 9 days at cofton over the easter w/end and following week with our caravan. This was our 5th or 6th visit over the last 4yrs. I realise that it was easter and was bound to be busy but it was heaving. Cofton used to be such a lovely peaceful site, popular but not overcrowded, unfortunately now with the new facilities it was packed to the gunnels and clearly aimed at the family market.
I note from last years reviews that several commented that the toilet and shower blocks could do with extra cleaning during busy periods and that this had been taken on board and would be addressed in future, unfortunately this has not been the case as we found them to be well under the cleanliness standard that we had experienced on previous visits, twice a day is simply not enough when so many pitches are in use, we counted 60 caravans alone (excluding tents) on the field adjoining the lakes, if you only average 2 people per van it's 120 people using the toilet block !
We were sited on hard standings alongside our freinds overlooking the lakes , perfect and pre-booked last November, however as soon as the easter w/end was over (wednesday) workmen appeared opposite our pitch and proceeded to start up a digger to lay more hard standings, a phone call to the office resulted in us being offered a different pitch !Having booked 5mths in advance we were cirtainly not prepared to up sticks and move to a new pitch to accommodate building work in the middle of our holiday. I am pleased to say that the work ceased after my phone call, but i should not have had to make it in the first place, surely the office was aware that all the pitches lakeside were occupied and inevitably noisy groundworks would have caused considerable disturbance. I appreciate that improvements to the site are ongoing but surely these could be carried out during the quieter times and pitches within the vacinity not booked out ? I was even more alarmed to then see notices go up informing guests that the work would be carried out over the May bank holiday period instead, i pity the people who will have inevitably like us already booked those pitches! I would also question the health and safety aspect as clearly there will be many children on site over the may b/holiday, and little boys love diggers.
The fishing at Cofton this year was terrible, the lakes look neglected and unloved despite the new platforms, and there appears to be few fish to be caught. Much of the vegitation has been removed and simply dumped on the banks. The bailiff made frequent visits during the easter w/end but was rarely seen over the next wk, he also failed to notice whilst checking tickets that many anglers were not using unhooking mats as the rules require.
The take away food was terrible, unlike all of our previous visits, and ended up in the bin, i question that the cod that we ordered and paid for was actually cod ?
All in all this was a very disappointing visit, Cofton appears to have changed beyond all recognition and is rapidly heading towards something akin to a Butlins site geared purely to families with young children, much like the sites at Dawlish Warren.
Again i appreiciate that things have to move forward and that all needs must be catered for, but peak times when families want to go away are only a few wks of the year, the rest of the time it is the older generation that use the site who want peace and quiet and a little space, perhaps the answer would be to make the oak field and the front field adjoining it an adult only area in order to cater for everyones needs and ensure that those of us without children can also enjoy the times of the yr when the weather is more reliable.
Our son and daughter-in-law joined us for the Sat & Sun night pitching their pup tent on our pitch for which they were charged a further £25.00 it took up less room than 1/2 the space needed for our car, and we had already paid for the pitch anyway. They visited Amelia's pantry for lunch, a salad and a ploughmans which they said was fine but took 40 mins to arrive at the table ! It was our son who introduced us to cofton 4 yrs ago and he like us felt that the site had now become too commercial.
We paid £2.00 per night for our dog, no problem, but when talking to the gentleman parked nxt to us he had paid £3.90 for the same booking period, how did that happen?

Sadly we won't be returning to Cofton again, despite or perhaps because of the new facilities we feel that that the site has lost it's way and no longer has the feel that it used to have. Talking to other people who have been regulars at cofton as well, the general opinion was the same as ours, it is a shame that the management don't appreciate that it is the people who visit outside of the peak wks who are the ones that ensure the site ticks over, low and mid season wks far exceed peak wks in number.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Eileen

Thank you for posting a review to tripadvisor. I’m sorry that you feel disappointed with your most recent visit. You have covered a lot of different points in your post. I feel that I should address each of these individually.

Whilst it is fair to say that the indoor leisure facilities act as a draw for people staying out of the season, I do not think it is accurate to say that we are now busier because of this. After all, the maximum capacity on site has not dramatically changed in many years.

Therefore I think it would be fairer to say that far from causing us to be overcrowded as you suggest, it has actually been a big reduction on the footfall of guests in our facilities, purely by the virtue of there being plenty more places for people to go.

You are quite right in pointing out that we are aimed at the family market. This has always been the case particularly during the school holiday periods and is not a new direction we are going in. I’m surprised that this seems different.

I would like to apologise if you found one of our toilet blocks not up to their usual levels of cleanliness. I can assure you this is not down to the lack of cleans or the standard thereof. We have, as promised, increased the number of cleans during our busier periods so that we may maintain the standard we set for ourselves.

This being said, the facilities are only ever going to be as clean as the last person (or persons) to use it, left it. Our cleaning staff do a wonderful job keeping the facilities clean and inviting and they are often singled out by guests for individual praise. Yet, of course we can never guarantee that they will always be spotless as there will always be a period in between visits where they can become unclean. I’m sorry that you found that on the occasion you were here.

We schedule all ground works for times when they are going to cause least disruption to guests. Sometimes other factors, such as inclement weather, can dictate our ability to do this. The amount of time that someone has had a holiday booked in no way alters the need of any work and where it is required, but we will always do our best to stop this from impacting the enjoyment of anyone’s stay. This is why we immediately ceased all work in your area after you alerted us that it was causing you a disturbance.

There is no work being carried out in the May bank holiday as you have stated. We do, as you rightly suggest, schedule for quieter times. Regardless of when we carry work out, I can assure you that your concerns over health and safety are entirely misplaced.

All of our ground staff are properly trained, all tasks risk-assessed and moreover, your concern that some children love diggers I do not see as a direct health and safety concern. Our staff are not neglectful of their duties and would never leave live machines unattended.

I was saddened to learn that you had complaints about the fishing on park and the onsite chip shop. In both instances, this is the only complaint I am aware of this season. Our fishing lakes remain very popular with anglers of all ages. The removal of vegetation when it becomes overgrown is of course, an ongoing process to improve the environment for all.

I was made aware that some of our guests were not using unhooking mats as required, so we did take measures to ensure everyone was aware of that requirement. We have mats available to hire from reception free of charge (only a refundable deposit will be taken).

I’m sorry that you were not happy with the food you ordered from the take-away and only wish you had said something at the time, so that we may have done something to rectify the problem. The vast majority of feedback from our regulars is positive, with most stating that it is an improvement on previous years.

I can honestly say that we are not moving towards ‘a Butlins site’ as you are concerned with. One of the common reasons people state for visiting us is that we are not an overly commercial site. We have always been proud to do things differently. I believe a lot of the feedback on here supports us in this endeavour.

In regards to the prices that you paid for the tent and for your dog, I can only say that our prices are clearly indicated in our brochures and online. There are no hidden costs involved in holidaying with us. I cannot comment on the gentleman next to you, but our direct booking prices are universal.

I can’t help but notice the over-riding theme of your review is that you are unhappy that the site was so busy, but then you did come during the school’s Easter holidays. This is always going to be a busy time for us, as indeed it is for the whole of the tourism industry.

We have no plans to segregate families from other guests on site. Being a family friendly site, we believe this we would be very detrimental to our spirit and ethos. We appreciate all of our guests, especially those who come at quieter times. However, visitors that want it to be quieter, tend to come when it is. School holidays would be the time to avoid for someone like yourself, who wishes for a more serene, tranquil environment.

I’m sorry that you won’t be returning to us again. I really hope that you find a site more suited to your requirements and that you continue to enjoy all the wonderful draws that Devon has to offer.
Well, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

we have been here many times before and always enjoy it. I particularly enjoy the good fishing, but the overall site is very good, with good facilities, especially the new complex. I would definitely recommend a visit. We have a touring caravan and the only moans i would have is there are not enough water points and a long walk to the elsan point.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Martin

Thanks for your review. It’s nice to know that you are a regular visitor to our site and have liked our recently added improvements. It’s important to us that the updating of the site is well received by those returning to us, so I’m very pleased it was.

We have nineteen different water points on site, so you should never be too far from one. There are three Elsan points on park, so if you prefer to be closer to one, it might be a good idea to let our receptionists know next time you check-in, so that they may direct you to a nearby pitch, or better still, find a member of our ground team who would be happy to show you to one.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Been to Cofton Country Holidays? Share your experiences!