“Thank you” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 45 Restaurants in Dawlish
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood, Pizza & Pasta, English
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A stylish, contemporary restaurant using the freshest and best produce to create delicious food served by professional waiters with smiling faces. Try us for great coffee, fabulous stone baked pizza, pasta, homemade burgers (best ever!)and lots of daily specials. Good value, family-friendly and fresh tasty food. We are small so book if you can.
Dawlish, United Kingdom
“Thank you”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Another lovely meal this evening . Lovely welcome, lovely people always made to feel welcome.
Thank you all a very good evening .

• Visited July 2014
Helgakbeer B, Owner at Jack Sprat's, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Thanks for your lovely review. We are all delighted you enjoyed your special evening. Thanks for choosing us to celebrate your birthday. See you again soon.

Swindon, United Kingdom
“Didn't meet expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Feel I have to post an honest review as my opinion of the food wasn't what I was expecting to get after reading previous glowing reviews of Jack sprats. The restaurant is pleasant as are the staff. Air con was a major plus on a hot day. We came in late morning, ordered our drinks and looked at the menu. No sign of anything about breakfasts so I had to go outside to see what was advertised. No problem with that although its a bit odd,so I then ordered 2 breakfasts for my wife and myself as it was in the window detailed. I enjoyed the coffee I had which was very nice whilst We waited 25 minutes for our food(after being warned about a large table of customers out the back). Again no problem waiting as we were expecting great food so didn't mind waiting. I'm afraid we were both disappointed with what we were eventually served with. The bacon was two tiny peices of what looked like deep fried streaky bacon each. It was cooked to a crisp and tiny in size. The rest of it was ok but nothing special and the portions of the items were small. For a restaurant that apparently wants reviews and values customers comments then I would be embarrassed serving that up. It wasn't worthy of a complaint but it was not very good. We walked past many other cafe's with people eating much bigger and better looking breakfasts than what we had.That fact only added to our disappointment as we had the worst looking breakfasts of all we'd seen that morning. We deliberately sought out this place and walked past other eateries due to the reviews on here. I suggest Jack sprats up their act if they want to stay the top rated eatery in Dawlish. It was a nice place but the food not great.

Helgakbeer B, Owner at Jack Sprat's, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Hi. Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. You are absolutely right. We do really value feedback - a lot can be learnt from positive criticism. Firstly - a very big sorry. I hate to disappoint people and it is clear we did on this occasion. To explain some of the points you raised. The reason that the full English breakfast is not on the brunch menu is that it is relatively new (we are about to print a new menu and we need to tweak prices a little - they haven't changed in two years on many dishes - but we were holding off over the Summer, as having children myself, it is so hard when everything becomes more expensive when the school holidays start). So, to explain, as we open at ten in the morning, we thought that it was too late for a full English and offered brunch options (for which there is a menu on every table) with Eggs Benedict, Smoked Salmon Benedict, Mushroom toastie etc. The demand for a fry-up, however, was so great that that we do now offer a full English breakfast at £4.95. It consists of two free range eggs, two rashers of smoked Devon bacon, pan-fried mushrooms, Devon sausage, baked beans and three halves of toast (free top ups of toast if you ask!). We have a lot of builders from around the area who come especially for our breakfast in the morning, so this is the first time it has been pointed out that this is too small for the money. Sadly, our ingredient costs are too high to be able to offer the breakfast for any less. I am sorry that the bacon was too crispy. It sounds like that was a definite mistake. We were obviously busy but that does not excuse things being over cooked. It is probably my fault actually, as I love crispy bacon and am always telling my chef to cook it more. I do take responsibility for that and we will certainly have a team chat as a result of your review. The positive remarks are much appreciated about the staff and the air-con (in this heat wave!). It will make the chef sad to get a poor review about a full english breakfast as he would prefer it not to be on the menu (my fault again) as he prides himself on cooking Sea bass, free range chicken dishes, making delicious sauces and making the best home made fishcakes. That said, he usually cooks a fabulous breakfast so it is a big shame for our 200th review, that this was not the case. Thanks for taking the time to write this review. We will consider all points raised carefully and hopefully improve our performance as a result. We do hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday in Devon. I had a quick look at your other reviews, and if you are looking for a golf course, there are great courses in Dawlish Warren and Teignmouth. Also, to defend Teignmouth Pier a little - it is a major result it is re-open. It took such a battering in the winter storms!
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
“Superb Food, Great Service, Deservedly Nr 1 in Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stayed in Dawlish just after the late May bank holiday, and came to eat here in the evening after only getting drinks at another restaurant in town. We were lucky to get a table so late with no booking, and were very grateful. The service was incredibly friendly and quick (considering it was a full restaurant!), but still attentive at the same time. The food was amazingly good in taste, presentation and not least, quantity! We both had burgers which were clearly 'home made' and not pre-bought patties. The whole meal was delicious! This alone would warrant 5 stars, but the lady who runs this restaurant still managed to be attentive, friendly and chatty to all the customers in the small restaurant, whilst clearing tables, fulfilling orders, bringing food etc, etc - we both wondered where she got her energy! In short, we would definitely come here again!!

• Visited May 2014
Helgakbeer B, Owner at Jack Sprat's, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Hi. Thanks for your very kind review. I loved the comment about my energy levels. Glad to hear their is still life in the old dog! Running around the cafe is a bit like undertaking a triathlon - juggling a few activities at pace - but I love it. Most especially when people say such lovely things! We have a reward scheme for staff of a bottle of wine if they are mentioned in an excellent review. It is so important to reward our team when they go the extra mile for a customer. I wonder if that applies to me????
Dartford, United Kingdom
“A gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

My wife & I stayed in Dawlish for 3 nights and ate here on nights 2 & 3.

First time we hadn't booked in advance & popped in "on spec" at around 6.45 p.m. We received a very warm welcome and were told they had no tables available BUT if we wouldn't mind vacating our table by 8.00 p.m. then they could squeeze us in.

The food was really nice and the very busy, hard working staff and proprietor took great care of us. We enjoyed our first brief visit so much that we booked for the following evening before we left the restaurant and on our second visit we explored the menu a little more and had a dessert as well.

The restaurant does not advertise the fact, BUT various items in the restaurant are in fact sold in the tea and gift shop next door! On our first visit, we complimented our waitress (who turned out to be the proprietor) on the novelty salt & pepper pots on our table. She thanked us & said they were available from her shop next door, would we like her to get us a boxed set from next door, which we did. I then put a photo of the pots on Facebook and friends placed orders for us to bring home with us for them!

Prices are spot on for the quality of the food & drink on the menu, service is good and very friendly and booking in advance is highly recommended.

Visited July 2014
Helgakbeer B, Owner at Jack Sprat's, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Thanks for your lovely review. I really enjoyed serving you on both occasions you visited our cafe. I hope the Union Jack salt and pepper pots have pride of place in their new home - and thanks for posting them on your facebook page. Priceless advertising for our shop! Do come and see us again when you are next in Devon.
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Two of us ate lunch here today( 19.07.2014), a first visit for both of us.
We had fairly simple meals but they were cooked beautifully, well presented and served with great enthusiasm by Rachel our waitress. All the staff we spoke to were friendly and helpful and I will certainly be going back next time I am in Dawlish.

• Visited July 2014
Helgakbeer B, Owner at Jack Sprat's, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Thanks so much for your lovely review. Rachel is a new addition to our team, so it is super to have her hard work recognised on TripAdvisor. We are so pleased you enjoyed your visit. Do come back and see us again soon.