“Great hotel, lovely staff, noisy at weekends.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Langstone Cliff Hotel

Save Saved
You added Langstone Cliff Hotel to your Saves list
Langstone Cliff Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mount Pleasant Road | Dawlish Warren, Dawlish EX7 0NA, England   |
Announcement
2014 Award Winner
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Dawlish
“Great hotel, lovely staff, noisy at weekends.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

Absolutely everything was perfect. The staff, the hotel and the grounds were spot on.

Excellent breakfast, very friendly and helpful staff and will definately return.

Beware weekend trips, as functions can get noisy and go on rather late.

• Stayed September 2012

259 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
cardiff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I think I stayed at a different hotel to the one some people are reviewing!!
Food choice excellant especially desert trolley, dining room staff very helpful
Bedrooms very comfortable and huge balcony with great seaview (47) yes maybe a little dated but with so much to explore we only really used it for sleeping, lovely bathroom with very hot water
plenty of communal rooms to sit quietly with some very well behaved dogs and children, nice warm indoor pool.
Had a lovely weeks weather so was able to walk to Dawlish and get the local bus back which stops at the end of the drive. Totally relaxed now, ready to go back to work refreshed, THANKS

Room Tip: Lovely sea view from room 47, couldn't even hear trains with window open
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dawlish, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We had our wedding reception at the Langstone Cliff a year ago and it was the most perfect day.A year on and we are here for our first wedding anniversary.As always the staff are so friendly and nothing is too much trouble,they are a credit to the hotel.The food was top class and it was so lovely to have been seated in the room we had our wedding reception in,lovely memories.We love the fact this is a family run business and you feel like part of the family every time you come back.I would recommend this hotel to anyone.If we had the money we would never leave.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
canterbury
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This hotel is in a super location and is VERY DOG FRIENDLY. It really is dog friendly but I do wish they would put a doggie bin in the grounds. It feels wrong putting your dogs poo bag in the normal bins. Staff are very friendly, professional and the overall place is good BUT they do need to spare more attention to small details. The bedroom was very badly lit, not just mine but several other people found this. The curtains in my room were definitely not hung correctly and I could not shut the fanlight window. Stains on the ceiling (over a bed???) and wallpaper starting to peel did not add to the attraction of room 57. It felt just a little "Tired" in several rooms and areas.

Room Tip: There are a variety of rooms,some with verandahs but be careful not to be over the function rooms wh...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Wokingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We stayed for the August Bank Holiday weekend with our 10 & 3 year old and grandparents. They absolutely loved it and didn't want to come home! They made lots of friends and were occupied with the pool, table tennis and soft play area despite the rain. The breakfast was brilliant & all the staff could't have been more helpful, especially the boys behind the bar and Sandra in the dining room. I liked the fact that you kept your table for the duration of your stay. We managed lunch outside one day and the staff couldn't have been better. The grounds are beautiful and we had a fantastic sea view. We would definitely go again as it was such a hit with our children. My son left a coat behind and when I phoned the hotel it was located & kindly posted back to me. There were a few dogs staying whilst we were there but they added to the family feel of the hotel and were never an issue. The meals were good and we were never rushed even when we were the last table seated, and we felt the bar prices were very reasonable for a hotel. I stayed for many years as a child and it was great that the same family still own it and the child friendly atmosphere has not changed. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ground floor balcony.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I can truly say my stay at this hotel is one of the most relaxing breaks I have ever had. I cannot deny that when we drove up to the hotel in the torrential rain, I was a tad underwhelmed by the exterior. nothing wrong with it really - I'm just not a fan of 1960's flat roof conversions, but hey I didn't go there to sit in the car park & look at the front of the building. It's inside what really counts & count it did. The staff are so helpful & friendly. The Lounges are roomy yet created a quiet & intimate atmosphere. Even the tv room was very relaxing. The television, never turned up too loud so that you couldn't sit & have a quiet read. As for the garden & verandah-so totally beautiful....immaculate lawns stretching down to the outside pool & beyond that the sea. Once the rain had stopped we spent many an hour relaxing & drinking in the view. The staff will bring out to you whatever your hearts desire, cream teas, snacks, meals - we tried it all! The children were catered for too, there's a soft play room, a tennis court & of course the indoor swimming pool & every evening there was an hours entertainment...a clown, a magician but it NEVER invaded the relaxed atmosphere. In fact it added to it, because the children were occupied in their own entertainment room. To those who posted reviews saying negative things about the children & dogs in this hotel please go & take a happy pill because honestly neither were a problem. And I'm not a great dog lover. Were there any niggles of my own, ummm if I'm honest my pillows were a bit hard but then I've got soft fluffy feather ones at home!! But seriously I couldn't recommend this place highly enough. I almost don't want to let others in on the secret but it's such a lovely family run hotel that it's the least I could do to help this family continue with their success. Thank you Langstone Cliff Hotel. I will be back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Wednesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

A tree lined driveway leads you to easy parking outside the hotel (plenty of spare spaces!) and a beautifully kept garden with a fantastic view of the sea. We had booked last minute so only a Woodland view room was left but it was pleasant. Nicely decorated large double room and always plenty of hot water when showering. Stayed 3 nights Dinner, bed and breakfast and are glad we chose this option. Breakfast was fantastic, plenty of choice and produce was of a very high quality. I liked liked the fact that your name and room number were displayed on your table that was then yours for your stay. You never felt rushed to finish, as I have felt in other hotels and the staff never stop smiling and cater for your every need. Evening meals we found to be excellent and plenty of choice, again the quality was superb. My husband really enjoyed the fact that you were served your starter but then main course was buffet style, with the chef carving a mouthwatering joint or help yourself to other choices, then a good choice of veg. The dessert trolley was something else! So much choice and very well presented.The lime and coconut cheesecake was to die for. My husband is diabetic and there was always fruit salad, so on the first night we asked if it was suitable, the waitress promptly said that she would go and find out and came back straight away to confirm that it was. It was then quickly followed by a visit from the chef who explained that it was in natural juice. How nice that in this day and age that the staff really care. Then if you still have room you are offered cheese and biscuits, I declined but my husband said the stilton was excellent. Coffee and chocolates to finish. Bar staff are also eager to please and I can't remember his name but he used to live in London is so helpful and such good fun. I had a senior moment when placing an order at the bar and he really made me feel at ease and we shared a laugh. Not like most places where they have no patience and make you feel a fool. He also asks," where will you be, go and sit down I'll bring it to you." That's proper service for you. We hadn't got children with us but had we have taken our grandchildren they would have loved it! Never have I been to a hotel where children are so readily accepted. Lots of them go around barefooted on the carpets as though they are at home. The staff pander to their every need. Can I also mention that on a previous review someone mentioned poor wifi connection. I had no problem at all and quickly gained trouble free access to the internet. There was also a negative comment about dogs. We are not dog owners and there were 3 dogs staying during our stay. They were lovely dogs, well behaved and no trouble to anyone, they just added to the lovely relaxed atmosphere of the hotel. I would recommend this hotel to my friends and have already mentioned it on Facebook. We would certainly stay again and a big thank you to everyone who made our stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: sea view with a balcony overlooking lawn
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Langstone Cliff Hotel? Share your experiences!