“A superb stay, amazing staff” 5 of 5 stars

Bovey Castle Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   North Bovey, Dartmoor National Park TQ13 8RE, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Bovey
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
“A superb stay, amazing staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

In November, 17 of us spent a long weekend at Bovey to celebrate my fathers 60th.
From the moment we arrived to the moment we left the staff were faultless. They could not do enough and led by the wonderful Federico (hotel manager) helped ensure a truly memorable weekend for us all.
Thank you! We will be back!

Room Tip: We stayed in the cottages, all beautiful and we still had full use of the main building. Although ve...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
BoveyCastleHotel, Manager at Bovey Castle Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Another really lovely review. Thank you so much for taking the time to post it. I am delighted you enjoyed your visit and that the birthday celebrations went so well.

Fed is wonderful as I repeatedly say on this website, we all adore the little African (well Sardinia is closer to Africa than Italy!) maestro. I'm glad you do too!

We look forward to seeing you all again soon. Don't wait until your Father's 70th though!

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
isle of wight
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

This was a luxury Christmas present to ourselves to bring some joy to the miserable month of January and it certainly worked. From being greeted in the drive and having our car parked to the moment we left, we felt special. Beautiful hotel in beautiful countryside, first class rooms and out of this world food. Yes it's expensive but it was worth every penny. The bath water could have been a little warmer and the room a little cooler but these didn't spoil the stay. The rooms are exceptionally clean, the staff are polite and see to all your needs. If you want to be spoilt and enjoy a touch of luxury then this is the place to stay. We were so relaxed we both slept for 10 hours, this is extremely rare for either of us.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
BoveyCastleHotel, Manager at Bovey Castle Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Thank you so much for a wonderful review of your stay with us. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your break and you felt so relaxed. It is important to us that you were able to relax and enjoy the place.

I am particularly pleased about your comments regarding the food. Andy Storey our Head Chef has put together an exciting team of Chefs and is really starting to make waves with his new menu and approach to food. I suspect he is destined for great things.

We all look forward to seeing you again before too long.

Four Marks, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

What a fantastic Hotel, brilliant staff, nice food, so comfortable, really grand but not at all stuffy.
A quality experience can't wait to go back. Would make the perfect romantic stay, and great for walking surrounded by a great golf course as soon as you turn into the drive very impressive you feel like you have arrived and what follows does not disappoint.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
And what a fantastic review from you! Thank you. We all read these reviews so it will be very much appreciated.

Kingsbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

stayed for one night last week with my daughter for a break away before she goes back to uni.
We had afternoon tea when we arrived it was excellent and would highly recomend.
We used the swimming pool,sauna and steamroom and had a lovely time.
being in the tourist industry myself it was nice to go somewhere which has 5 star service,food,and cleanliness and be so well looked after
so as it is only an hour away i thought it was only fair that my husband took me aswell so i have to go back this sunday and can not wait.
Lisa

• Stayed January 2014
BoveyCastleHotel, Manager at Bovey Castle Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
A lovely review thank you. One from someone in the Tourist Industry too makes it even more meaningful as they are often the hardest task masters!

Thank you so much, I am very appreciative that you took time to post this review.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

From the moment that we arrived our stay was absolute perfection. There was nothing that Federico and his team led by the charming Ashley would not do to ensure that we had a perfect stay. Part of the success of this wonderful family hotel is, I am sure, that there is no job that Federico considers beneath him. When we arrived we thought that he was a porter, carrying our "heavy"bags to our room with a smile. Then he was restaurant manager, and Santa's little helper complete with elf costume ..... Do you get my drift? The food was very good and they were totally accomodating with one of our sons in law who only eats fish and our five grandchildren who had various likes and dislikes! There were extremely good quality household named gifts for the children and a "going home" gift for the parents. You will find more luxurious rooms elsewhere but this place is a like a huge comfy pair of slippers and just what a family holiday should be about with a great spa and more activities than I can remember. The walks resplendent with beautiful lakes were just wonderful. There was a huge tea laid on every day and copious amounts of mulled wine and champagne. The day before we left my 9 year old grandson arrived back covered in mud from his brilliant "survival course'. By the time we left the following morning he had a freshly washed coat hat land gloves all without charge! Well done Bovey Castle. It was an absolute delight!

Room Tip: If you have a small child room 29 has a tiny little room off the bedroom complete with child's b...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
An absolutely marvellous review! Thank you. As I have said many times before when a Senior Contributor posts a review it is normally worth reading. Usually no axe to grind just interested in reporting the good and the bad of their stay. As a result it is hugely rewarding to read this review.

You have in one long paragraph captured the essence of Bovey. I am very grateful to you. Fed is everywhere as you say. No job is too big or too small. He has a can do attitude which is why he has risen to be a star at Bovey over the last 6 years. Christmas and New Year are the highlights of his year (if you knew the planning he puts in to his Christmas Day outfit you would be amazed). Ashlie and her resort team are focussed on making sure that the arrival and departure is seamless and that during your stay there is someone always there to help arrange whatever activity or facility you need. But what really stood out in your review and meant as much to me as anything was the anticipative service from Housekeeping and Reception for your grandsons hat, coat and gloves. It's what they do, often without the recognition you have afforded them, that makes them all a team I am very proud of.

Thank you.

Hove, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I chose Bovey Castle to propose to my partner in a private and romantic way. We are fortunate enough to be return visitors to Bovey Castle as it’s my partner’s favourite hotel. The rooms are extremely well presented and catered for with breathtaking views of the grounds. The staff across all departments are always so polite and well mannered making sure you have everything you need during your stay.

I was coordinating with the events team and Federico to organise the finer details before we arrived via email. The team were extremely helpful and always got back to me with answering all my questions and assisting me with fresh ideas for the perfect proposal.

The plan was to have the proposal written on a dessert plate incorporated within a simplistic dessert. I was lucky enough to book the library for private dining on the evening just the two of us. The events team organised tea lights and rose petals to decorate the room including the table.

We were taken to the library from the bar by Federico, as the door opened to the private dining room the beautifully setting was revealed. The tea light candles and rose petals on the floor lead the way to our table which was beautifully decorated and arranged.

We had starter and main course served by our own waiter who stayed with us in the room to ensure everything was attended to immediately, the food was Michelin star standard.

During the stay I met the head chef who created a special dessert in preparation for my proposal, I previously email some ideas for inspiration but he wanted to make sure I liked the final design. I also spoke with Federico as I had one last special request, I asked Federico to ask my girlfriend if he could pick the most special dessert and promises it’s so beautiful it would change her life forever...
Federico was amazing, he said it word for word, the element of surprise was important and Bovey helped me every step of the way.

Needless to say she said yes and we are hoping to get married at Bovey Castle the most perfect hotel for all couples wanting to get away. There is so much more I could say about the staff, the hotel and how wonderful everything is at Bovey.

Don’t think twice, if you’re considering Bovey Castle you won’t be disappointed and if you see Federico the hotel manager say “Elliott says hi”

Also a special thanks to Ashley and Jeremy at the hotel, we will remember the perfect proposal forever and for that I am truly grateful to everyone at Bovey Castle.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Elliott,

This is such a lovely thing of you to do. Thank you so much. As you know we hold you and your family in very high regard and when you told us of your intention to come down to Bovey to propose we were all thrilled. The planning and detail you went to in planning the surprise were remarkable. Everyone one here was fascinated with the whole event and there was a buzz around the Hotel as your surprise dinner in the Library got underway. (I have to admit though I was a bit shocked that Fed managed to get every word right, he certainly struggles to do that when in meetings with me but life is full of surprises I guess!)

You and your family are always welcome here and we look forward to the wedding. It will be some occasion that much is guaranteed!

Jeremy
Devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

As Bovey Castle is a local hotel to us, we have been on several occasions for meals, afternoon teas and even archery... but as my birthday treat we decided to stay for a weekend this time and it lived up to all expectations.
Beautiful setting, great service - nothing is too much trouble (particularly nice to be able to tell reception when you are packed to come home and (while you have a leisurely breakfast) they collect your luggage and put it straight in the car!) Very civilized breakfast hours from 7.30 - 11am. Beautiful food - we ate in both the Bistro and The Edwardian Grill. We used the pool which was very empty when we were there and so had it more or less to ourselves and enjoyed the free falconry display . All in all a very pleasant and relaxing weekend.
Any downsides are minor quibbles - the heating is on full blast, so public areas are immensely warm but it was possible to turn it down in our room. Being an old building it also suffers from condensation - so found in the morning that the birthday cards I had put on the windowsill along with other belongings were standing in pools of water!!
It's also very child friendly - which is a good thing - but unfortunately some parents seem to see this as meaning their children can make all the noise they want! Trying to have a romantic dinner in a beautiful dining room was somewhat marred by a child on the rocking horse right outside the restaurant doors shouting away!
However - not to detract from what was a great weekend away - we will be back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
An absolutely wonderful review. Thank you! I am so pleased that you had such a wonderful stay. We try to make it as easy as we can for our guests with as few 'rules' as possible. Late breakfasts and seamless Reception/Concierge being just a couple of examples.

I am delighted that you enjoyed both the bistro and the Edwardian. The teams of both restaurants will be thrilled when they read your comments.

It is true that we are quieter in January being local you will be well placed to know that! As a result you will get the pool to yourself on occasion. As for the heating being an old building the public areas are either on or off I am afraid! I wish they were more controllable as it would save me a fortune! Noisy kids unfortunately are more difficult to control but we do try and get a balance!

Thank you once again for taking time to post a review, It is very much appreciated, particularly from a 'local' who have always been great supporters of Bovey.

Managing Director

Been to Bovey Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!