“A very special place.” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Honiton, United Kingdom
“A very special place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was our first stay and hopefully not our last. An African Scops owl was perched on the reception desk when we checked in, which is an example of how this hotel is truly a country retreat with a difference. All the staff were very friendly and after reading reviews we took the guided tour of the hotel when offered!
We stayed using a travel voucher and whilst we hoped for an upgrade ( we did ask as it was our 15 year wedding Anniversary) we stayed in a castle view room ( which is what we paid for!) which was fair enough I suppose as the deal was already a good one!
Our room no.12 overlooked the front entrance and also the delivery yard which meant a very early 6am wake up call! Not ideal but the room itself was comfortable with a big comfy bed, chairs to relax and a large bathroom. Everything was spotlessly clean although the bath panel needs to be repainted where the water escapes when showering and there were water marks on the wall paper.
Dinner in the Edwardian grill was excellent although it took a while to order and be shown to our table (1 hour) and it was a quiet night so perhaps things go faster when they are under pressure? We did think they had forgotten about us after two drinks in the bar and my husband had to go and ask if we could order!
I would recommend the cream tea, the Chateaubriand and the friendly staff!
Really do let them do their job and do everything for you as the service charge when you leave covers this and I think is very fair.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Bovey Tracey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a super place to go to if you need to get away to de-stress! The rooms are spacious and comfortably relaxing without making you feel awkward. The staff are welcoming, friendly, polite, and very accommodating . We enjoyed a meal in the bistro this time, but can also recommend the Edwardian Grill for more formal dining. Breakfast was a wide and varied choice and nicely presented. We enjoyed watching the falconry display and my husband enjoyed partaking with the clay pigeon shooting whilst I enjoyed relaxing by the indoor pool. The views on a sunny day are simply amazing from the terrace over the golf course and down the valley and are subsequently a great place for drinks or afternoon tea. The only slight niggle, was that the service was very slow in the bistro bar and had no continuity, and the changing rooms for the pool area need an update. Because of the beautiful setting, Bovey Castle is a popular wedding venue so do make sure beforehand that your stay doesn't clash with one if you want peace and quiet!

Room Tip: Try to book a room with a valley view as they really are amazingly beautiful.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed in April in one of the lodges with friends and our 2 year old son and had an amazing time. The grounds are breathtaking and the staff were absolutely faultless and always on hand to help and offer advice. The playroom was an added bonus that I had not expected would be there and helped to keep our little one entertained throughout his stay.

The spa was lovely and as well as the superb food in the main dining room, the brasserie was perfect for small children. It has been great to find such a luxurious place but so child friendly, we would love to return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed in one of the lodges with friends in the grounds of the castle. The whole place is amazing and extremely beautiful. We ate at the Castle one night and the food was fantastic particularly the salmon starter and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

We also used the spa while we were there and had the treatment of the month which included a facial and back massage. This is the best treatment I have ever had and again the staff in the spa were lovely.

I would definitely recommend Bovey Castle as a great place to unwind and relax with great facilities and food.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed here for one night with a Travelzoo voucher. We had a lovely time and the setting really is idyllic. The staff were all brilliant and the pool area with large window was a particular highlight.

but

The sauna didn't work, some of the gym equipment was broken and all of it was dated, the restaurant got our steaks wrong (confused ribeye and sirloin and cooked differently to how ordered) and did nothing to make it up to us, no bikes were available for hire and the place needs some tlc.

It isn't 5 star but they do ask 5 star prices. The staff deserve the owners backing and investment or the gap between cost and reality may grow too great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband, 6 year old son and I booked to stay 4 nights in Bovey Castle on the recommendation of friends of ours who's opinion we trust. We took our little dog with us too. Sadly my husband was very ill on the trip down and spent the entire stay in bed. He ended up in A&E on our last night with septic shock. So, not the break we were hoping for!

However, my impression of Bovey Castle Hotel was and still is very high indeed. We travel a lot and we mainly stay in 5 star hotels. In my experience there are many hotels who have undeserved accolades but Bovey Castle deserves every single one of theirs.

From the minute we arrived the staff were friendly and helpful. The young concierge team were a welcome sight after a long journey and nothing was too much trouble for them. They seemed to get the balance just right - as did all of the staff we met.

Frederico, the manager, was ever present, totally in control and happy to answer any questions or just stop for a chat. Really approachable. Once he'd heard of my husband's illness (which didn't take long) he was amazing and bent over backwards to help us - from offering child minding for my son to dog sitting and walking whilst I made doctor, chemist and hospital trips, to asking the chef to create something completely bland and off menu that my husband could eat. When we needed to stay an extra night because my husband was in hospital he sorted our room out, had our dog looked after until my son and I got back late that night and asked if we'd eaten at all and got some sandwiches made. This was all without any fuss, they genuinely wanted to help.

I was so impressed with the service I would go back to Bovey Castle just for that. However there are so many other reasons to go back as well. The setting is just wonderful. Beautiful grounds that are so peaceful you can't help but relax as soon as you get there. The food in the Edwardian Restaurant was divine and the children's clubs were brilliantly organised - thank goodness for the archery so that I had a couple of hours to sort out various medical things. My son who can be little shy in new company had the best time ever and is still asking me when we are going back to Bovey Castle!

So, although the break was not what we had wanted in terms of doing things as a family the hotel lived up to my friend's very high standards and was a wonderful place to be when things were going wrong.

Thank you and we will be back later in the year!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Lake district, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stayed here for one night over a weekend and had a mixture of experiences. In the bedroom the windows needed replacing as the window panes were blown and the wood was rotten. The walls were so thin we could every word that was said in the room next door and we had the lift on the other side - good job we were only there one night. Having said that the bed and the linen were fantastic and made for a comfortable sleep.
The pool and spa area was lovely and very clean but there were no lockers which I found strange.
Breakfast service was dreadful - the staff just did not see what needed doing. I had to ask for tea and toast (no toast rack so soggy toast on a plate!) No member of staff came back to the table to see if I wanted to order a cooked breakfast so I went to the hot buffet, but as it did not look very appetising and was only luke warm, I decided not to bother and went for a croissant!
Tables were left full of dirty plates and china, while the staff just drifted about. Another table ended up having to shout across the restaurant to attract the attention of a waiter after waving their hand in the air for sometime didn't work.
The staff on Reception & Porterage were without exception very pleasant and helpful.
It is such a shame that these things let down what is a beautiful hotel in a stunning setting.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Bovey Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!