“Poor Customer Service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Abbey Inn

Save Saved
You added Abbey Inn to your Saves list
Abbey Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   30 Buckfast Road, Buckfastleigh, Dartmoor National Park TQ11 0EA, England   |
Thames Ditton, United Kingdom
“Poor Customer Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We booked a room and was told, by the new owners, that we could stay as long as we understood that there was some cosmetic work still to be carried out. We didn't mind as we were happy to of found accommodation last minute on a bank holiday (and half term). We were pretty desperate and relieved that they were also dog friendly.

12 hours later...upon waking up this morning we have since been told the room is uninhabitable and that we can no longer stay. I appreciate if this is the case but I would have much preferred they told us the truth the night before. I am now left with trying to sort out accommodation with just a couple of hours spare - had I known the room was unavailable I could have sorted this out last night and any potential rooms at other establishments may now be taken due to the delay in us booking a room.

Any hotel/restaurant should always be honest in that situation as even though i'm sure they thought they were being helpful it's actually just created a much more stressful situation for us.

I wish the new owners luck with this establishment but would recommend they to go on a hospitality course to understand how to deal better with potential negative situations.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

80 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Mosman, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We had six days to spend before attending a family golden wedding near Blanford so we decided on a driving tour of south-western England heading towards Plymouth. On the third day we saw a sign to Buckfastleigh.which is on the south-east edge of Dartmoor. I had recollections of reading about the railway through the town some 50 years ago. We liked the area and decided to spend a night there. We were lucky to drive by the inn as we went to look at the abbey and Ashburton. Fortunately there was a vacancy and after checking on what local attractions were nearby we decided to stay two nights. Everything about the inn was great. There had been heavy rain and the river was flooding past the property. The owners were very pleasant and the service was outstanding. There is a cosy, comfortable bar with additional seating outside overlooking the river. The accommodation was good and the catering was exemplary and we enjoyed all the food we ate. I recommend the inn as a destination in itself as well as a base for exploring the attractions in the area including the heritage railway to Totnes and even a drive to Dartmouth. Of course Dartmoor is just to the north of there if rambling is what you want.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from the abbey inn,stayed there 5th April till 9th ,had a fantastic time ,lovely setting along the side of the river ,staff could not do enough to please us ,the food was lovely ,fresh and home cooked ,the home made cheesecake comes highly recommended , the room had everything we needed and more ...coffee,tea,biscuits etc .we can not wait to revisit ,a big thankyou to andy,Hayley and the staff for making our 300 mile drive down to buckfast well worth it x

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dursley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

The hotel is well placed for visiting the area, and in a lovely position looking over the river. Our room was clean and well-furnished, but I did find it surprising that there was no hair drier provided. The shower room smelt musty. I was surprised that the owner was working on her laptop in the same room that we had our breakfast, and, later, her daughter was wandering around in her onesies getting a breakfast together. Breakfast was OK, but for £85 a night I would have expected a more interesting selection of jams than the plastic sachets provided, and better bread. The coffee was so weak that we had to send it back.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
abbeyinn_11, Owner at Abbey Inn, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for your review, We have had hairdryers in every room, which was a total of 9, we now have 3,as they have been taken by people who have stayed with us in the past. If you had asked for an hairdryer we would have placed one in your room straight away. The cost of your room was actually £69.00 per night Not £85. The room prices never go higher that £79.00, even in the high season. I apologies if me being sat at my laptop checking bookings offended you, but my day starts at 6am. My little girl is 6years old and would have come down to get her cereal. She does this often and we have never had a complaint about her. The jams are in plastic portion sizes, so that we can keep control of sell-by- and use -by dates and ensure that every pack opened will be fresh, unlike pots of jam that could be days old. I apologies again that Golden shred marmalade is not to your liking and that Robertsons jam isnt either. Can i just point out also that we are an INN not a hotel, we are a pub with letting rooms. If you can e-mail me back and let me know which room you occupied i will have it checked as we havent had a "musty smell" complaint about any of our showers. Thank you
kidder
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This place is in a lovely setting right beside the river Dart & close to the beautiful South Devon railway & with Dartmoor on the doorstep. Tables outside for eating or just drinking & watching the river flow by. Nice food & pretty much idyllic if you're taking a bit of time out.
BUT! Don't do what we did & be beguiled into thinking that a weekend stay here would be equally wonderful. The whole place is pretty tacky inside & needs more than just a good, thorough cleaning... it needs to have one room at a time closed and totally refurbished, unless you like maroon and mustard yellow as a colour combination. Its also advisable to phone at least twice to make sure that these numpties have actually made your reservation as per your instructions.... we booked for a weekend & despite having our e-mail to confirm, they'd booked us in for Saturday & Sunday nights, so it was a bit tricky when we turned up after work on Friday!!!!!!!!!!! Nice people did their best to sort it out, but its not what you need after a 3 hour drive.

Room Tip: Ask for the Dart & check that they've got you booked in.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
abbeyinn_11, Owner at Abbey Inn, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Good morning Carol, Firstly i am absolutely amazed that after nearly a year (may 2012), you have took to posting a comment on trip-advisor. I recall the weekend very well as this was your 3rd booking and 2nd cancellation of dates as your husband had to work. We accepted responcibilty of the confusion and gave you the room we only keep vacant for family and friends. The day after, myself and housekeeper moved your luggage into our honeymoon suite, and gave you the whole of your stay for free. I dont take kindly to being called Numbties !!!!! when clearly the only Numptie doesnt live here. I have been in touch with trip-advisor and reported your comment to them. I also recall you complaining on the day of check-out that the phone ringing was "incessant" to your ears. I was dealing with you as customers and didnt want to appear rude and answewr the phone until i had finished. I trust you wont be staying here again and that pleases me no end. I can only hope that any potential customers that reads your comments and my reply will see past what you have typed and look at the further excellant comments we have recieved from other people who have stayed us and have enjoyed their time here.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We love this pub, we have stayed twice now. The food is very good, the rooms are comfy and the staff make you feel very welcome. If you eat at the Abbey Inn, i would go for the fish. It was cooked beautifully. We will definitely be back- Clare & Tom

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My friends and I decided to stop at the Abbey Inn for lunch after taking our dogs for a very long walk. We were very pleasantly surprised to find that the Abbey Inn had quite a selection of gluten-free food available for lunch. Being a coeliac I find that the usual stock answer to the question "do you have anything gluten-free?" is - Baked potatoes! However, the chef came out to go through the menu of specials available and I was delighted to be able to choose the turkey and ham risotto with gluten free roll and salad. Unfortunately I couldn't finish it all as it was such a huge portion - really delicious and would satisfy any appetite. He also had gf sausages, bread and pastry available and could make up almost any dish. This lunch really made my day and I will certainly be returning with my friends for lunch and dinner. Very friendly people who make you feel really welcome.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Abbey Inn? Share your experiences!