“Try the French toast!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kilbury Manor

You added Kilbury Manor to your Saves list
Kilbury Manor
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Colston Road, Buckfastleigh, Dartmoor National Park, England   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Try the French toast!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I stayed at Kilbury Manor whilst on a training course and received a warm welcome and a much needed pot of tea after my journey. My room was immaculate and bed made up beautifully every morning. The breakfasts were delightful and freshly made to my requirements. I saved the best till last, the French toast with maple syrup. Gorgeous!!! Lovely location and very friendly, helpful hosts. Highly recommended!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
JuliaBlundell2013, Owner at Kilbury Manor, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and especially the French toasts - you saved the best till the last day! Thank you for reviewing us - your comments are much appreciated

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in the upstairs room of the barn.It was huge with a massive super king bed,lovely white linen, modern well equipped bathroom, good selection of teas as well. Breakfast had choice of fruit salad, porridge, cereals and a cooked breakfast. Great home made bread and nice marmalade as well. A really super place to stay well situated for trips to the coast and moors

Room Tip: Ask for upstairs in the barn
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us and also for your kind comments. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay in the Loft room and hope that you visit us again sometime.
Dartford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Having very busy hectic lives, my partner booked us a weekend away to take a well deserved breather. Kilbury Manor was in the perfect location for us, as we planned to do lots of walking on Dartmoor and pay a visit to our favourite pub in Widecombe in the Moor.

We arrived a little earlier than we should have, however Julia was very welcoming and showed us to The Garden Room. The little stable door surrounded by beautifully smelling roses made me take a picture and send it to my daughter to inform her I may never come home again! The room was spacious and comfortable, and although Julia mentioned she had just changed the duvet to a smaller tog, provided us with a warm blanket for the 'just in case it gets chilly'.

Everything possible was provided in the bathroom, including face wipes (thank you, I had forgotten to pack mine!) sumptuously smelling hand wash and shower gel and even bath robes were discovered as we were packing to leave, but a nice touch nonetheless.

The garden is simply a divine area full of secrets around every corner. I took a book and a cup of tea down to the pond while my partner took a nap, however I was so distracted watching the dragon flies dance on the water and listening to the steam train as it passed at the back of the property, within minutes I had completely relaxed and not one page of my book was turned.

Despite a power cut the following morning a huge tasty breakfast was served, with so many homemade curds, marmalade's and jams to choose from we knew we had to add an extra mile or two on to our walk that day.

There is nothing I can find fault with here, but will mention that the guests in the room above us were very early risers and from alarm clock to leaving the room, every step they took and conversation had, could be heard. Its an old building and creaky floors are to be expected, but a little disturbing for those of us needing a lay in (at least I got to read my book!).

Julia and Martin we hope to return one day soon, but in the meantime I wish you a busy but peaceful summer season. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful property and your wonderful hospitality with us, you will be high on our list of recommendations.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Firstly my apologies for the delay in replying - I have been having trouble accessing the management page to reply to you. Thank you for one of the most comprehensive reviews we have received- you have been most generous with your comments and obviously we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay.
We are really sorry that you were disturbed by the guests above you who as you say were early risers. Earlier this year we sound-proofed the ceiling to building regulation standards as we were aware that this had not been done by the previous owners. We have noticed an improvement on sound transference but are unable to prevent it entirely. I think that on this occasion you were unfortunate to have noisier guests staying in the room above.
Again, many thanks for taking the time to review us and for the many positive comments.
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

Our stay at kilbury manor was lovely. The owners were very helpful and polite and made me and my partner feel very welcome. The room was lovely and clean and welcome booklet had lots of helpful tips such as places to eat/drink and taxi numbers.breakfast was lovely, I especially enjoyed the fresh fruit salad and french toast! The Manor is set in a very peaceful surrounding and was perfect location for our stay.would definitely recommend staying here

• Stayed May 2014
A little belatedly, we would like to thank you so much for taking the time to review us - we really do appreciate your kind comments. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the peaceful surrounding and the French toast.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Would recommend Kilbury Manor to anyone. I like to stay somewhere that is clean (especially the bedding). Couldnt have found better & the bed was very comfy. Breakfast was cooked to order & very very tasty!! Would definitely stay again. Julia & her husband really make you feel at home.

• Stayed May 2014
Many thanks for your lovely review and my apologies for the delay in acknowledging it. We appreciate you taking the time to review us and are pleased that you enjoyed your stay.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

My husband booked us a 2-night break for our 1st Wedding Anniversary and what a great find it was! Welcomed by the lovely owners and showed us to our room and what a gem it was. The room was lovely and even though the bathroom was outside the room, the room was everything we wanted. Had breakfasts both mornings and a lovely selection of fruits, cereals and the cooked breakfasts were very filling, especially with the variety of drinks and toasts. Perfect spot for couple to have a retreat in the country and very close to amenities. Definitely would recommend visiting Buckfast Abbey (free to get in). I wouldn't mark the b&b down on anything but we did have the smaller room (Moors bedroom) so when we come again, would love a bigger room! Would definitely recommend this lovely quaint b&b to anyone :-)

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
JuliaBlundell2013, Owner at Kilbury Manor, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you for your lovely review. We are delighted that you chose to celebrate your first wedding anniversary here at Kilbury Manor and also that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased you liked the Moors room - it is our smallest room but still has lots of character and charm. We would happily upgrade you to a larger room on a return visit. Perhaps we will see you on your 2nd anniversary!
Petersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

We spent two days in Kilbury Manor at the beginning of May. We enjoyed our stay very much especially as the location was perfect for exploring the south part of Dartmoor. Our room was large and comfortable with an up-to-date bathroom. Julia was an excellent host and not only prepared a super breakfast but also gave us some good tips for restaurants for our evening meal.
We would be more than happy to return to this lovely house.
Brian and Jenny.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us - it is much appreciated. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay here and also enjoyed the surrounding area.

Been to Kilbury Manor? Share your experiences!