Booked via Travelzoo as a gourmet dining experience, and bed & breakfast. Not too easy to find when you've forgotten the satnav, but thanks to a very helpful policeman in South Molton we got there by following his directions - thank you, officer, and my wife thought you had nice eyes and smile!
As promised the entrance is right opposite the Portsmouth Arms pub, and we were very impressed by the drive up a narrow winding road through woods to the hotel (wouldn't fancy it on a dark winter's night).
We were greeted by a very pleasant young lady who showed us to our room (Ashreigney, in the old part of the hotel), which looks out onto the green in front of the hotel. As a surprise I'd arranged champagne, flowers, chocolates and strawberries in the room, all of which went down very well. We took a walk round by the tennis court, and were blown away by the view.
The evening started off with canapés & gazpacho in the lounge, then into the dining room: beautifully done, we were sat by a window, several other couples dining there, and our meal was wonderful. Excellent menu, delicious wines to suit the course, excellent service. Very comfortable bed, and good bathroom, as is normal shampoo/shower gel/etc all provided, plus face flannels and 2 lovely towelling bathrobes.
Breakfast was a revelation: fruit juices, cereal, tea, coffee, and the choices for cooked! Well, I went for the full English, but my better half chose the smoked haddock & poached egg - smoked haddock, not dyed! Suffice it to say we didn't need lunch!
Unfair to single out any one staff member as they were all unfailingly polite, friendly and helpful - nothing was too much trouble - we would have no hesitation in returning, or recommending it to anyone else.
Any complaints - only trivial, but the dead trees in pots by the front door weren't too inspiring.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 3 AA red starts, 2 AA Rosettes, AA notable wine list and 'Devon Venue' in the Westcountry Wedding Awards. Northcote manor is a cherished Country House Hotel set in the foothills of Exmoor National Park, Enjoy sweeping views over the Taw Valley, sundowners on the sun terrace and cream teas on the lawn or in front of crackling log fires. The perfect wedding venue or conference. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Tingo, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Expedia, Despegar.com, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Northcote Manor Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Northcote Manor Umberleigh
- Northcote Manor Hotel Umberleigh
- Northcote Manor Country House Hotel Burrington, Devon, England