“Well worth a visit” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 83 Restaurants in Brixham
Cuisines: Barbecue, Caribbean, English, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Brixham's harbour-side restaurant offers Trinidadian Verna's native Caribbean cuisine alongside great local ribs & home-made steak burgers, local seafood and fun desserts. Carnival favourites Goat Curry, Saltfish & Ackee and Jerk Chicken take pride of place among a number of home-grown recipes - Trinidad Chicken & King Prawn Curry, Pineapple Pork, Legendary Lamb Shank and Shack Scallop & Monkfish Curry. Jerk Pork Skewers, Seafood Tart and San Fernando Spicy Prawns appear amongst the starters along with Patties, Monkfish Goujons, Home-made Samosas and Scallops & Hogs. We use local fish in a number of seafood dishes including Fish Bites and battered Catch-of-the-Day. Vegetarians are offered Pumpkin Patties and Goat Cheese Samosas among the starters, followed by Sweet Potato & Black Bean Curry, Chilli sin Carne and even Jamaican Jerk Tofu. Home-made Chocolate Gateau, Banana Cake, Sticky Toffee Pudding, Banoffee Pie, Morgan-spiced Rum Panacotta are complemented by Ice Cream, Sorbets and Fresh Pineapple. For children, there are home-made Chicken Nuggets, Spaghetti Bolognese and more Ice Cream. Pepper Shack is fully licensed until midnight with Red Stripe, Peroni, local Dartmoor and Bays ales, Healey's Cornish Ciders, wines from around the world and a wide range of rums among the spirits. We also offer an extensive Cocktail Menu and even some Ice Cream Liquour Cocktails
Brixham, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Something out of the ordinary. Forget your indian and thai, try Verna's Carribean inspired food in comfortable surroundings. You are really made to feel welcome. Aside from the main courses which includes curry goat I suggest you try their ice cream it is the best I have ever tasted. Thanks for a lovely evening.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
ShackTalk, General Manager at Verna's Pepper Shack, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
It was one of my ideas that we should try making our own ice cream so that we've got freedom of flavour, as it were.

Chef Chris was initially not so sure how he would fare but it's turned out to be a great success - a lot of people have praised the results ... which do include Chocolate, Strawberry and Vanilla as well as the first tropical venture Mango & Coconut. We'll be trying out more as we go on.

Thanks for the nice review.

Brixham, United Kingdom
“Great Caribbean food in Brixham!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Having moved to Brixham from South London, I very much missed tasty Caribbean food which was in abundance in London.

I was pleasantly surprised when Pepper Shack opened, and having been there a couple of times now can say that it is fantastic!

I was so impressed with my first visit for their Sunday buffet that I arranged to book the whole place for a birthday meal with friends. It was amazing and everyone has been raving about it since!

I highly recommend the buffet on a Sunday. The Jerk chicken is FAB!

• Visited October 2012
Always welcome, haha!

We're going to a few specials as over the Winter. I'm pretty sure Oxtail in Red Wine will go well to keep out the frost. I'm also trying to persuade Verna to experiment with a Peri Peri Pheasant from the Lupton shoot - sounds suitably eclectic.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“GREAT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

On our recent trip i did not think i would be eating curried goat in Brixham,It was delish and the other things on the menu looked great.

Visited November 2012
ShackTalk, General Manager at Verna's Pepper Shack, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Glad you enjoyed it.

Goat seems to be growing in popularity across the country. We sell pretty much across the menu but goat certainly leads the way.

Hope to see you again.
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Superb food.......not so superb service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I cannot say a bad word about the food, we all left very happy and very full! Our one and only issue would be the service, yes it was warm and inviting but thats where it stopped, everything seemed a little disorganised and chaotic, the management did not seem to have a clue what he was doing and the staff were more interested in sitting around the bar area chatting.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
ShackTalk, General Manager at Verna's Pepper Shack, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Well, that's a pity!

I'd better apologise for your disappointing experience - probably a combination of our inexperience and you maybe not quite getting what we're aiming at or where we are after 4 weeks. There's an awful lot to learn but we are learning and I'm pretty happy with the progress we've made. Nevertheless, there are times when 'relaxed' has become 'sloppy'. It's lucky you didn't come on the first couple of nights - your review of our early efforts would probably have left me in tears.

We don't want formal 5-star service and definitely not 'servility' but neither is 'clueless' exactly what I'm trying to get across. We've given people a chance to learn with us. I don't mind if our staff chat a bit as long as they are attentive - and appear attentive. Certainly, the overwhelming majority like our service but I'll agree that we're still working on getting everything right.

As you say, you left "happy and full" - and that's how it is supposed to end. Maybe next time, you'll join us for a chat.

Alternatively, we do a takeaway service that might solve the problem!
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

we had a fantastic meal at Verna's pepper shack last night and will certainly be dining there again. My lamb shank with rice and peas and roti and my wifes goat curry were amazing. Starters and deserts also fantastic. The staff are very welcoming and the atmosphere brilliant. Verna is a great host and even came out of the kitchen to spend time chatting and making sure everyone was having an. enjoyable evening.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
ShackTalk, General Manager at Verna's Pepper Shack, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Glad you enjoyed it.

Hopefully, we can maintain what we are doing with a few tweaks added here and there as we go forward. It all seems to be going down very well so far.