“Not bad at all, but.....” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Bath, United Kingdom
“Not bad at all, but.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I ate here before I visited this page, and I am genuinely surprised by all of the "terrible" ratings. We ate as a family of four and waited about half an hour for the food, having arrived with no booking at about 6.30pm. Nothing wrong with that at all.

The fish pie I had was very nice, although the portion was small and the salad accompaniment was so small that it was verging on the mean. The kids had sausage and mash, which they scoffed down. Overall, I would say that the food was good. The meal for four (two kids) and four drinks was about £45.

However, we were served by possibly one of the most unfriendly bar staff I have ever met. I do not want to get anyone into trouble, but we were actually a little taken aback at the attitude and had there been another establishment next door, I would have walked out. This person was also rude to people coming in and asking if there was availability and to other people already eating in the bar. Maybe they were just having a bad day, I don't know.... The other staff flitting around the place seemed friendly enough.

I would go back, as the location is beautiful and pretty handy by the road. If we hadn't had bad service I would have rated this as very good.

Staffordshire
“An 'average at best' restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Despite very polite, efficient & willing serving staff this place was very disapointing. Slightly care-worn in appearance, long delays for food to be served after ordering (during a very quiet early evening) and several menu items unavailable lead me to conclude that I will not be returning.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Derby, United Kingdom
“Chain Pub Style Food Done Well”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We visited one lunchtime as a party of 5 adults. The staff were really friendly and chatty. The dining rodeom was ok with good views.
There was something on the menu to suite the varied tastes of our party. The St Austel beer was good and well kept. The wine list was reasonable.

Prices were reasonable.

I'm not a huge fan chain style pubs but this was notably good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Derby
“Enjoyable meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Tried this restaurant whilst on holiday in Devon and was pleasantly surprised to find it a cut above the usual chain pub fare. They are obviously going for a higher quality product than is the norm and by and large Vintage Inns have pulled it off. My parents and brother like a fairly traditional menu and the Wednesday pie specials hit the mark with them. My husband tried the gourmet burger and definitely enjoyed it. I went for the seared salmon with vegetables and potatoes which were very well cooked (I hate dried out fish). The service was friendly and welcoming and the atmosphere pleasant. A nearby family with exceptionally well behaved children were catered for very nicely. All in all I would recommend this restaurant, and the Vintage Inn chain, to anyone and will definitely visit it again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
“This is a place I would not go to again!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Where do I start!!! Ordered garlic mushrooms for a starter and a mix grill for the main. They said there was a 45mins waiting for which I wasn't bothered about. The meal took an hour and quarter to arrive and it wasn't all that busy. When it finally arrived the garlic mushrooms were luke warm and the mix grill was terrible. The egg yoke was rock hard and all the meat had dried out cause of it been sitting for so long. This mix grill was on par with what you get from Weatherspoons at £8 not £14 like Braunton Inn are charging. The meat looks like they brought it from Icelands. I'm an ex Marine and MOD rations are better than the food they were serving!

The service isn't up to much either. Our friend complained about her starter and the waitress said to her "What do you want me to do about it?" So the staff need training as well as the chef! On the plus side my wife manage to get 6 kids ice creams on the house.

Their also not much for the children to do either.

I would not recommend this Inn to any one.

• 1 of 5 stars Food