“Staff don't listen. Who are the roaches?” 3 of 5 stars

Saunton Sands Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Saunton, Braunton EX33 1LQ, England   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Braunton
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“Staff don't listen. Who are the roaches?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

It is very obvious that the management is slack here. Staff don't listen to their guests and although they are not rude you have to wonder why they keep getting your order wrong and ask you to repeat information that you have just told them. We have stayed at Brend hotels for over 20 years and there have been obvious cutbacks.Food ok at dinner but breakfast was nothing special. No pastries etc. We were horrified to overhear a waiter say very early at breakfast when he thought we had gone "there are usually a couple of roaches having an early feed by now". We are not sure if he was referring to us, guests in general or an actual family called the Roaches. Or even worse, cockroaches? We have ended our love affair with Brend.

Room Tip: Smell of dinner in inland facing rooms. Go for the amazing sea view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
thesauntonsandshotel, Manager at Saunton Sands Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review

We are sorry we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and will bring your comments regarding the service to light at our weekly management meeting.

It is a shame that you did not speak to a member of our management team at the time as we would have been happy to meet and discuss your concerns and take any remedial action necessary. It is unfortunate that you missed the danishes at breakfast, as we provide a selection of freshly baked pastries each morning.

Here at Saunton Sands Hotel we pride ourselves on personal service afforded to guests which includes knowing guests by name rather than room numbers. We had a large family group staying at the hotel by the name of Roach and this is who the restaurant staff were referring to.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We have had a wonderful three days staying in one of the Saunton Sands apartments- we stayed in 'The Sands'. The apartment itself was perfect for our needs, nicely decorated & very spacious with three bedrooms and a large bathroom and the views from the large lounge and the master bedroom are simply magnificent. The only minor point is that the kitchen needs a bit of an upgrade but we were eating in the hotel so we didn't mind at all. The staff at the hotel, particularly in the dining room, couldn't do enough to welcome & accommodate us, particularly making a great fuss of my 2 year old daughter. They allow children in the restaurant for dinner which again worked great for us & any children that were in there were quiet & well behaved. The facilities in the hotel are all excellent. A wonderful stay.

Room Tip: A sea view room is well worth the additional money.
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We have just returned from a long weekend break at Saunton Sands and were very impressed again. We have stayed at the hotel many times as a couple and also with our 3 daughters and come back happy & relaxed every time. This weekend we also enjoyed the children's entertainment that was laid on and Captain Coconut's Bubble Show and the children engaged for almost an hour. It was "almost perfect" as there were the odd, minor things wrong but as soon as we raised these, they were sorted out or addressed immediately. The staff couldn't of been more helpful and we were also blessed with superb late February weather. We will be returning

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Just returned from a Tuesday to Friday break at Saunton. We took advantage of a post Christmas deal, which was great value . Food was excellent, just enough variety for a 3 night stay. The thing that really makes this place (elegant and comfortable as it is) are the staff, faultlessly polite, friendly and helpful . Great location overlooking the gorgeous beach and dunes, ideally situated to explore that part of North Devon. Our only criticism was that the fitness room could have done with some exercise mats and dumbells. We aren't a fan of cv machines. Overall, a short break is definitely the best way to escape the post Christmas blues.

• Stayed February 2013
Dorchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We have stayed at saunton sands on a couple of occasions and have always loved it. The hotel is in a stunning location,I can sit and stare out to sea for hours. The rooms although not huge have everything you could want. Wonderful food,very attentive staff and a great atmosphere. Leisure facilities are lovely,a warm indoor pool with long opening times and a good sized outdoor pool and seating area for warmer times. Have never used the gym, spa treatments, but they look and sound very good. Plenty of seating areas inside and terraced areas outside ensure that you can take full advantage of the view. There is an endless choice of breakfast,meals are also available in the terrace lounge throughout the day. Cocktails in the evening watching the sun go down,what more could I want! The hotel is expensive but we'll worth my hard earned cash for a couple of weekends a year.

Room Tip: Pay the extra to ensure you have a sea view room,it's stunning!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Our family has spent a weekend in this hotel every year for the last eight years. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Santon Sands Hotel has an understated thirties elegance combined with the most spectacular views and sunsets (being up on a cliff overlooking the sea), wonderful service with great food.
With all this comes a perfect balance between adult needs (spaces to read the papers in the mornings, formal dinners in the chandelier-lit dining room) with a family-friendly environment (earlier children's dinner daily, Saturday children's entertainer in the form of Captain Cocount, listening service for babies.)
There is loads to do if the weather isn't great - an indoor and outdoor swimming pool, sauna, ping pong & games room, tennis, mini golf. We always spend days on the beach building sand castles, rock pooling and paddling, regardless.
It's a lovely hotel which works really hard to get the right mix.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The Staunton sands hotel is a really great hotel. I stayed here as a business stop over as the hotels in ilfracombe did not seem that great. On arriving a doorman opens the door for you and directs you to reception. The staff are very helpful although they tended to give directions very quickly and because of the foreign accent were sometimes difficult to follow.

On finding my room it was of a good size and had fantastic views looking over the bay. The bath room could have been a little cleaner but overall I was impressed given the £60 odd cost.

Now given it is early February the dress code jacket and tie for dinner is a bit pretentious. I could understand in the height of summer but not in winter. I had dinner in the terrace lounge as I did not want to change into my suit again. (I had a swim and will get to this). Anyway there were 2 elderly couples on one side of the terrace lounge and myself and another chap on the other side, yes my point not many people about. The food was really good and the portion was generous. Great food reasonably priced shame I could not eat in the restaurant.

Back to the pool. The facilities were great pool was clean and sauna was hot. There were no dressing gowns and slippers though as advised so I could not sit and relax around the pool. Very pleasant none the less.

There is a gym snooker table squash court and other facilities on offer which is a plus and something I'd certainly try when I return.

The bed was a little hard for my liking more like sleeping on the floor but if you like a hard bed you'll be fine.

Breakfast is served from 7.30 so if you need to leave earlier you'll go hungry. This was the most disappointing part of my stay. I arrived at 7.30 was given my table (I was the only one there) right near the entrance to the restaurant and told the buffet was down the far end. Now this is quite a large restaurant so by the time I had got my breakfast and walked back to my table at the other end it was cold. No eggs had been cooked so I had to wait for these which meant I had the eggs on their own. Checking out was sime and as I said I would recommend the hotel and will book again myself.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Saunton Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!