“Wonderful setting for a hotel” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Fermain Lane, St Peter Port GY1 1ZZ   |
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Woking, United Kingdom
“Wonderful setting for a hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I would have given 5 out of 5 apart from a couple of little things. The hotel is on the main flight path so from 6.30am until about 9pm there is frequent aircraft noise directly overhead. However, you do tend to become accustomed to it very surprisingly!
The only other thing was that, having discussed rooms by telephone beforehand to ensure we did not get a room with extractor fans nearby etc., we unfortunately could hear the boiler firing up on the roof above us. Robert Steen the manager was very concerned and moved us to a room on the floor below and he could not have been more helpful.
The food at the hotel is excellent and not over expensive. I love the fact that breakfast is cooked to order - not one of these hotels that serves a buffet breakfast thank goodness.
The décor in the rooms is very tasteful and the housekeeping staff pay much attention to detail. Everything was really clean and pristine. All the staff are really professional, helpful and friendly.
The setting is wonderful sitting in a wooded valley looking down to the sea. The walk down to enjoy the beach and the café is well worth the up-hill slog back again! There is a great walk along the cliff path into St Peter Port that takes about 40 minutes, or you can easily walk into town via the road in 20 minutes.
If you don't want to hire a car Fermain is well placed for a great bus service that runs every 15 minutes (weekdays). The bus service on Guernsey is extremely good and the buses run on time.
Having toured the island we realised that Fermain was the best place we could have chosen for location. It is peaceful (apart from the planes) and it is so easy to get around. I think we may have felt a bit cut-off at some other hotel locations around the island.
You can also easily visit Herm or Sark for the day from St Peter Port which is well worth the effort.
The swimming pool is kept really warm, in fact I have never been in such a warm pool. It was more like a warm bath. The terraces are lovely to sit out on for drinks or food.
We had a lovely week. Thank you to everyone at Fermain Valley.

Room Tip: Gold rooms have balconies but are not huge rooms. The best rooms are on top floor of original buildi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert S, General Manager at Fermain Valley Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear C from W

I cannot say why I had over looked repling to so many of the trip Advisor comments I am sorry
I can say that I too am so used to the flights now I hardly notice them and when I do I am reminded that the newspapers containing all the world news and the Post has arrived and therefore we are connected to the larger world!
I was pleased to read that I did manage to change rooms for you and that you really enjoyed the Breakfast being cooked especially for you no hot ( or rather Warmish) buffet here!
I agree we are so well placed to tour the Island by bus or foot and well suited for all who enjoy the valley, we are far enough from St peter Port and the Disco sounds but yet still close enough to walk there or as you did take the bus
A nice swim in the pool before relaxing on the terrace seems agaes away now, at least now my guests we can still swim in the pool and then sit by a cosy log fire! I am please that yu enjoyed your week albeit a while ago now, let me know personally when you wish to return and I shall make sure you have a quiet room ( apart from teh 'planes!)
best regads,

Robert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Southampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We would highly recommend the Fermain Valley Hotel. It is situated in an attractive valley from which a footpath leads down to the nearby bay and beach. It is also possible to walk in to St Peter Port in around 15-20 minutes but for those without a car who do not want the exercise there is a bus stop outside the hotel. Our room in the Annex was very comfortable with an excellent view down the valley and out to sea. The Annex is a short walk (up/down a hill) through attractive gardens with labelled plants to the main building where the main restaurant provides a good breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is also the separate Rock Garden restaurant that offers the option of meals cooked at your table on your own hotplate. The hotel has a small heated indoor swimming pool and sauna as well as extensive lounges and a terrace with tables offering a superb view. The service throughout the hotel was excellent.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SotonExplorer

thank you indeed for your lovley comments on the fermain Valley The rooms in our Venue building are lovely and the short walk through the gardens enjoyed by most of our guests.
I see also that you enjoyed the Pool Sauna and terraces now as we are approaching the winter months our lovely comfortable lounge also has an open fire! quite lovely!
Do come and see us again, it would be lovely to have you back

best regards

Robert Steen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We have just had the most wonderful stay here! I warned them beforehand that we have a number of allergies in our family and they were incredibly helpful, offering alternatives to various dishes or side orders and were very 'allergy aware' when discussing the dishes. Add to that they managed to bend the menu to suit a picky toddler and heated up my baby's food to perfection! They made the madness of a family of four on holiday with small children seem very easy and were always on hand with suggestions as to where to go or information on shops/attractions/etc... Special thanks go to Robert the Manager who really went above and beyond the call of duty to assist us, Eva in the restaurant for making mealtimes so enjoyable and Gavin for kickstarting it all on email and helping me to feel relaxed about our impending stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear The Travellingtoots

Well It has taken a while to rspond Sorry!
Delighted to learn that Eva, Gavin and I were able to make your family break less stressful than you thought!
We are good at arranging special diets when we are aware in the first place.
Gavin now spends alot of time ensuring that if our guests need help with meals we are readily able to assist
I do hope that we are able to look after you and the family again,
thanks for your lovely comments

Best regards,

Accrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

From the moment we were picked up from the airport to the moment they dropped us off again the whole experence was faultless. The initial welcome together with all the friendly staff made this short break one not to forget. The room was perfect and the food excelent. We enjoyed the very warm pool but we did miss not having a jacuzzi especially when there was ample room next to the pool. After a days walking it would have been very pleasent to sit and relax in a jacuzzi. The private cinema was a great experence as we picked our own film and we had the cinema to ourselves. Our room had a great view and we did not hear any noise at all, the complementary sherry was a nice touch. We then moved onto their sister hotel on Alderney and found the standard of this matched the Fermain Valley hotel. Overall a very good few days away.

Dear Michael H

A belated thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor
I am pleased that you enjoyed both hotels in both islands it is a really lovely way to unwind and relax.
We did have a jacuzzi but for some reason and even i cannot remember we removed it!
this may be a thing for us to consider for the future
Our Cinema is a great place to enjoy a movie do come back agian and enjoy another Chill out
best regards

Robert Steen
New Forest UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We've just returned from another stay at the Fermain Valley Hotel following our last visit in April. This time my 90 yr old Mum came with us. It's always a bit nerve wracking to recommend a hotel to someone but the Fermain Valley Hotel didn't let us down. She had a wonderful time and so did we, thanks to Robert (Manager) and his professional staff. The hotel is immaculate which included our room which was its usual high standard. Robes, slippers, quality bathroom essentials, excellent cleaning and the nightly "turn down" service adds to the extra feeling of care.
We ate in the restaurant a couple of nights where the quality of food was to a very high standard. Breakfasts were huge and covered every choice possible.
The Rock Garden is a bar which caters for younger guests and is very on trend - the staff here were really friendly and offered great hospitality when we wandered in to have a look around.
The grounds are immaculately tended and are lovely to wander around. The planting is well thought out and the lower garden leads down to a path to the beautiful Fermain Bay.
Overall we had a wonderful stay and hope to return again in the future.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms in warmer months are a lovely with a view down the valley to the sea
Hello New Forest Life,
I cannot believe so long has passed without a reply from me!
we are almost ready to put up teh Christmas decorations !
yes it was lovely to see you again with Mum and I am pleased to read that you all enjoyed your stay with us
it is always great to welcome people back to my Lovely Hotel and Island. When you are ready to come back, let me know and we can do all teh booking for you

best regards,

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

My wife and I met on Guernsey 32 years ago and got married not long after with 31 years of bliss. To celebrate we decided to return to Guernsey and made a superb decision to go to the Fermain Valley hotel. We had an excellent room with balcony and were treate like royalty by the staff. The meals were excellent and i would thoroughly rcommend this hotel for whatever reason to go to Guernsey.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear John L
sorry it has taken such a long time to reply, Yes I am glad that you both had a lovely time here with us to celebrate your anniversary please do not leave it too long for your next visit it would be great to see you both again
Kind regards

Cheshireset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

This is a great hotel in a great location although for anyone with mobility issues, it may be worth checking your needs with the hotel. It is halfway down a steepish hill which goes down to a lovely cove and car parking next to the hotel is fairly limited - especially at weekends - and additional spaces are at the top of the hill next to the Garden Rooms, albeit it through lovely gardens. There are steps down to the restaurant too. The Platinum Room we had was very spacious with a view down the valley to the sea and the rooms in the old part of the building still retain some of their character from years past. Every need is catered for and the food was good - although there is room for improvement - we had one meal which didn't live up to expectations (Duck was a bit "chewy"!). Good breakfast buffet. There is a courtesy bus which can ferry guests to and from the hotel to various locations of their choice. There is also a lift to both floors with steps where the new and the old buildings come together. There is a spacious split level verandah with ample tables and chairs and the views are beautiful. The staff are friendly and courteous and everything was what one would expect from a 4star hotel. Hope to go back some time.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are best (some have balconies). Garden rooms are about 50 metres away from main hotel...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert S, General Manager at Fermain Valley Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear SusieSeb,

Thank you for your fantastic review, it is wonderful for my staff and I to hear such positive feedback. I am pleased to read that you liked your room and enjoyed the food, (I will pass your comments onto the kitchen as we always strive towards excellence and appreciate honest feedback). I am also pleased that you took advantage of the courtesy bus and enjoyed the views from the terrace. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Fermain Valley Hotel in the very near future.
With warm regards,
Robert

Been to Fermain Valley Hotel? Share your experiences!