“We could not have asked for a nicer place to stay on our honeymoon break.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Old Government House Hotel

You added Old Government House Hotel to your Saves list
Old Government House Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   St. Ann's Place, St Peter Port GY1 2NU   |
Special Offer
Weekend Winter Warmer
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Solihull, United Kingdom
“We could not have asked for a nicer place to stay on our honeymoon break.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

We were so impressed with this perfect gem of a hotel which we chose for our short honeymoon break. The service without exception was incredibly helpful. The food was outstanding, especially the surprise tasting menu in the Governor's Restaurant and the very fresh seafood. Our room was roomy, tastefully decorated and comfortable with a gorgeous bathroom and had views across the entire harbour and castle. The hotel is located minutes from the main shopping area of St Peter Port and the harbour and it was lovely to be able to go 'car-free' for a few days without feeling confined or isolated. There was plenty to see in the area and the concierge service arranged taxis and helped plan our sightseeing. We have nothing but praise for this hotel and look forward to returning again soon.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

What a lovely atmosphere in this place. It reminds me of the Goodwood in Singapore. Time has stopped and we're back in a gentler era. We only had lunch. The food was good - I had a simple salad, but such as it was, it was well prepared and well presented. Waiters were elegant, helpful and seemed to be happy, with cheery smiles as they passed each other - seemed like the working atmosphere was as good behind the scenes. Our table overlooked the gardens, which were pretty and tranquil. I fully intend to go back and stay in the hotel.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Wantage
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

This hotel is in a wonderful location. The suite that we had was amazing. The room service was exceptional. The staff in this hotel are something we have never come across before. Nothing is to small or large and they are so friendly & very efficient. The restaurants are very good which reflects on the chef. We look forward to another visit in the summer months.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

One of two recent stays at OGH. Traditional, clean, small rooms, front desk staff very friendly and helpful - porters young, enthusiastic and a tad overzealous. Ater at the Bistro, good, interesting menu. Location without peer for St Peter Port town.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

We booked in to the OGH for the night of my wife's 40th birthday. The welcome immediately made us feel at home. The room was recently refurbished to a very high standard with plenty of space. The staff made every effort to make us feel comfortable and even deliverd a delicious cake to the room.
We chose the "menu gourmande" in the Governers Restaurant which was excellent and well matched with the wines. Although we did not use the gym and spa facilities, we did have a peak and the facilities that were of a very high quality with full gym, jacuzzi's, chill out room, treatment rooms, etc.
Breakfast was very good and was taken in the light and airy brasserie, with great views out to Herm.
Overall the experience was what you would expect from a very high quality 4 star hotel but at the OGH they go that one step further. We'll be back.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2009

I have stayed in the OGH many times as it suits location-wise for business. I normally get charged £135 for a standard room. When I arrived I was told my room charge was £195. I questioned this and was told I was in a luxury room and that the £135 rate was for standard rooms only. When I arrived in the room it was exactly the same as any other room I had stayed in. I asked to move to a standard room. When I was brought into the new room (which was exactly the same) I was then told it was £150. I again questioned the price, considering I had been told face to face earlier that standard rooms were £135. They told me that £150 was the price and to either like it or lump it. I had booked dinner with 2 clients there, but decided after this dis-honest service I would take my business elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Jersey, Channel Islands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

I booked one night at The Old Government House as I had to go to Guernsey on business. The cheapest I could find for a standard room with breakfast was £125 so went with it. On arrival we were taken to our room which was pokey and certainly not what I expected for the night. I looked at an upgraded room for an extra £50 a night which was somewhat better but ended up paying an additional £70 for a decent room - at this time of year in Guernsey when the hotel had 12 rooms empty was on the excessive side. The location of the hotel is very good being just a five minute walk from the town centre of St Peter Port. Parking is not so good as there is a small car park at the back of the hotel which they say is valet parking but it was easier to park it myself. The public rooms are very nice, elegant and inviting and a glass of wine was reasonable at £4 or £16 a bottle. Breakfast was excellent and served in a nice conservatory. Check in was a dither and as I wanted to change my room it took about 10 minutes to find one available. The young Concierge was charming and really put himself out to help. The staff overall were very obliging and attentive. The upgraded room we had was spacious with a very large bed and lots of wardrobe space but strangely enough no shelves. There are tea/coffee making facilities and they will provide fresh milk free of charge. The bathroom was not so great and had a very small shower cubicle and looked more dated that the bedroom itself - possibly a cheap makeover when the bedroom was decorated. There was no fridge in the room and annoyingly for a 4* hotel, no in room safe. There is free internet access through the television but it was not the easiest to use. All in all, it was a pleasant overnight stay in a very nice hotel but on the expensive side for what it is. A colleague of mine stayed at the St. Pierre Park which is newly refurbished and he got a double room including breakfast and car hire for just over £80. We called in there for a coffee and it is very smart indeed so on reflection , I think he got the better deal and I would try the St. Pierre Park if I have to return to Guernsey.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Been to Old Government House Hotel? Share your experiences!