“Wonderful hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Udine, Italy
“Wonderful hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Everything was perfect. Personnel friendly, good services offered and excellent restaurant. Perfect for business trip and also for holidays. Located in a good position, close to the center. Price was average considering others hotel in the island. To recommend!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
DukeRichmond, Deputy Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear 822emanuelem,

Thank you for the kind comments following your recent stay with us, which I was delighted to share with my team. It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed our friendly service and delicious meals in the Leopard Restaurant and that you felt that staying with us represented value for money.

I hope that we will have a pleasure of welcoming you back to the Duke of Richmond Hotel on your next visit to Guernsey.

Deputy Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

This was my first stay here and I have to say my welcome and the attention given was excellent. This theme carried through my whole stay and from all members of staff be it in the bar, restaurant, reception or just passing in the corridor.

Given the price, I found my room small but very well appointed. One of the best showers I have ever experienced in a hotel - one of my key tests.

Breakfasts were superb and all cooked to order. Very good scrambled eggs. My first two evening meals were disappointing in that both the pork (belly) and the chicken (curry) were not as tender as I would have expected. I then decided to try the specials instead of the fixed menu and I have to say I enjoyed every meal, which were cooked and presented to a very high standard.

Food and drink prices were high, and consistent with the room price.

An excellent hotel, but I'm not sure it represents value for money, nor if I would stay there again. I think I need to try another hotel on Guernsey to make a fair comparison

Room Tip: The rooms with a sea view are nice but expect to pay extra if you ask for one of these
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
DukeRichmond, Deputy Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Madd0g68,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your recent stay at The Duke of Richmond Hotel. I was delighted that you found the team attentive and the service excellent during your visit and I will be delighted to share this with the whole team.

I was however disappointed to read that you did not feel your dining experience on the first two evenings of your stay were of a high standard and please rest assured that I have asked Chef to monitor the quality of the dishes being served to our guests. I was pleased however that you enjoyed breakfast in The Leopard Restaurant.

We are constantly monitoring our pricing policy to ensure that the experience that we offer our guests is of the highest standard and represents value for money and I do hope that you will decide to return to stay with us again the next time you are in Guernsey.

Gatwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Trip Advisor has just rewarded my reviews of the past four years with a magnetic badge for my car or fridge, so I am now a kept man and this review may not be as impartial as before. My goodness, what a weird hotel! But with the best staff I have ever come across.

The entrance lobby has an anteroom with a collection of animal hide chairs, presumably shot personally by the interior designers before moving on to the bedrooms. I can live with an oversized chandelier over the bed, a tweedy throw over the bottom of the bed with matching cushions (why?) and sheets and pillowcases monogrammed with "DRH" in gold thread, BUT.......who decided it was a good idea to put a creepy blue LED above the loo and a large mirror behind it. Seeking relief at 2 in the morning was a surreal experience - sort of "Fear and Loathing in Guernsey" lit by a single blue downlight with an unrequested voyeuristic element to it. This must have been designed by someone who sits down for this regular bodily function - either a German male (yes they do) or possibly a woman.

More practically, there was no room to swing anything- and more importantly, not enough flat space to put my computer, while the couple of electric sockets were nowhere near a mirror for using the hairdryer. The designers have had a field day and it probably looks great if you're living in a drug-induced haze or come from Brighton. For the business traveller - even after a few Rioja's - it looks a bit silly and doesn't work very well as somewhere to stay - albeit it's very comfortable and mildly amusing.

Having said all that, the restaurant is attractive and the adjoining terrace has a perfect sunlit punkah-fanned conservatory for a superbly cooked breakfast (although the chef got the fried bread stuck up on its edge both mornings - a bit more practice and it might lie flat). I had dinner here on the second night and that is worth a separate review - super meal.

That brings me to the service - wow! My bags were taken from me as I walked in and whisked up to my room. The receptionist (male) out-Jeeves Stephen Fry in the nicest possible sense and the friendly air of competence and helpfulness is palpable throughout the hotel. One female receptionist has a sparkling sense of humour and was a delight.

Would I go back? Nope. The St Pierre Park has a better garden, lots more room and chairs you don't have to check for mortality before you sit on them. It also has a decent desk to work at AND no blue light over the loo. If I want ambience, including sensibly placed bathroom LEDs (either side of the loo at seat height) and a room designed to perfection, then I'll go back to the Farmhouse (see separate reviews).

Congratulations and many thanks to the staff - and remember the old sign "You don't have to be mad to work here, but.....................".

OK - grudging thanks to the hotel designers who gave me something quirky and different for a couple of nights.

Room Tip: No trouble sleeping myself and I was directly above the front door, but ask for a back room if you a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
DukeRichmond, Hotel Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Saymwa,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Duke of Richmond with other travellers. I was delighted to read that you found our team the best you have come across and it will give me great pleasure to thank them on your behalf.

I am sorry that not all the decor in the public areas was too your liking but pleased that you liked The Leopard Bar and Restaurant. Whilst we understand that the look of the hotel will not be to everyone’s taste we like to think that on the whole the quirkiness leaves a lasting impression on our guests.

Thank you for your separate review of the restaurant. It was wonderful to learn that you dining experience was a memorable one.

We hope that you will return to dine in our restaurant when you return to Guernsey and that you will also consider staying with us again in the future.

Lukas Laubscher
Hotel Manager
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We recently stayed at The Duke of Richmond Hotel in Guernsey and highly recommend it. Our room was superbly decorated. The staff are professional, friendly and very welcoming. The restaurant is definitely worth a visit as the food is yummy. This is a Carnation Hotel Group hotel and coincidently we stayed at another (The Milestone in London) soon afterwards. Both hotels are really, really lovely. The concierge knew everything there was to know about Guernsey and his knowledge was most helpful. The Duke of Richmond is a four star hotel howeve I must say it has five star appeal.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
DukeRichmond, Deputy Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Superchoosey,

Thank you for choosing the Duke of Richmond Hotel for your recent visit to Guernsey and taking time to share your experience with other travellers. It is wonderful that our staff have made you feel welcome and ensured your stay is thoroughly enjoyable, service attentive and friendly.

I was delighted to share with my team that you enjoyed our food and the helpful advice from our Concierge on how best to spend your time on our island. It was great to find out that you also stayed at our sister hotel, The Milestone Hotel in London and were impressed with the high standards the Red Carnation Hotels are well known for.

I hope you enjoyed a safe journey back home to Sydney and we all look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Southampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

A late review but one we wanted to post. We stayed for 2-nights in August to celebrate my wife's 50th Birthday. What a wonderful weekend it was.

The service offered by all staff was phenomenal and nothing was too much trouble. We arrived early morning and the hotel stored our bags whilst we went for a walk around St. Peter Port.

Nika at Reception telephoned us to let us know the room was ready and 10 minutes after being in our room a service call was made to see if we were happy with everything. An extremely rare but welcome touch. Other properties - take note. The room was beautifully decorated with the toilet separate from the bathroom. Our room had a stunning view overlooking the pool with views out to the sea. Sark and Herm clearly viewable. Other areas of the hotel were just as good as our room. This included the Reception and Lounge area, the pool terrace and Leopard Restaurant.

We dined onsite at the Leopard Restaurant and what a beautiful meal it was. The Restaurant staff arranged for a cake to celebrate my wife's special birthday. It was a very pleasant and delicious surprise. Another welcome touch. Breakfast both mornings was exceptional with such a variety to choose from. The open kitchen is excellent as you really get to see how the chef and team go about their duties.

Whilst all the staff were friendly we have to make a special mention to Jan, Bianca & Nika who all made our weekend at the DOR that more special.

I work in the travel industry at a high prestigious cruiseline and the Duke of Richmond more than met and even surpassed our expectations. Thank you to all who made our stay so memorable. We like to experience many places but hope to return one day. It has made us want to try another Red Carnation property.

In a nutshell, the best property we have stayed at for many a year. Faultless. Many a property could learn a thing or two from this hotel.

Room Tip: Go for a room overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
DukeRichmond, Deputy General Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Batman49,

What a fabulous review! Thank you so much for finding time to give us such comprehensive feedback following your recent stay at our hotel. It makes it really special and valuable for our team to hear that we have surpassed all of the expectations from someone like yourself who works in our industry. I was pleased to read that you and your wife enjoyed your dining experience in The Leopard Restaurant and our beautifully decorated bedrooms with their stunning views over St Peter Port and I will be delighted to share your kind comments with the whole team, particularly Jan, Bianca and Nika.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Duke of Richmond Hotel the next time you are in Guernsey and also hope that you will take the opportunity to visit one of our sister hotels in the UK or abroad.

Deputy General Manager
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

This no doubt excellent hotel is not situated as per the local map on the right in a village near Cambridge but in St Peter Port on Guernsey. This is the type of detail that can make a difference in one's choice of hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Woking, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We came for four nights with our dog, and the welcome and service we received was of the highest standard. There was not enough that the staff could do for us. The interior of the hotel and our room was just wonderful. We were going to eat at some local restaurants, but the food and service at the hotel restaurant was so good we spent every night there. We have stayed at many dog friendly hotels, but this one was by far the best. We will definitely be staying at this hotel again and using it as a base to explore further the beautiful island of Guernsey.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
DukeRichmond, Deputy General Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Hugh G,

It was a real pleasure reading this fabulous review following your recent experience at the Duke of Richmond Hotel. I was delighted to share with my team that we succeeded in making your stay memorable and the Leopard Restaurant team were very pleased that you decided to dine with them every evening. Thank you for rating us highly as a dog friendly hotel, we do our best to ensure all our guests and their pets receive a warm welcome and feel comfortable throughout their stay.

We hope that all of you will decide to return to Guernsey very soon as we would love to see you with us for another enjoyable and relaxing stay!

Deputy General Manager

Been to The Duke of Richmond Hotel? Share your experiences!