“first class” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
kent
“first class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

I stayed with my daughter at the blue horizon the last week in September, we were welcomed by the owner who was lovely, she showed us round and her and her husband carried our luggage to our room, that had a beautiful view was spotlessly clean, there was information in your room, and all round the hotel to let you know what was going on or where to go. If there was any more you wanted to know the staff were willing to help , nothing was too much trouble also the food was top class. The hotel was set off by a beautiful garden, there was lovely walks. At night we sat in the bar, just talking or playing trivial pursuit and laughing with other guest, not for the younger set, but up my street and my daughters i am 64 she is 46.

• Stayed September 2009

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
england
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

i stayed at hotel with my wife lovely views nice restaurant shame about ladies as you walk in to reception the first people you meet are these badly dressed ladies come on every one else is making an effort at hotel also no british staff

Stayed May 2008
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

I stayed here for 4 nights over the August bank holiday & I'm very glad that I did as its a very nice hotel. I had room #7 which was a double overlooking the garden & swimming pool. It had a compact, but well equipped bathroom with a decent shower.
I also liked the plentiful tea & coffee supplies & the flat screen TV & plenty of storage space in the room.
The Blue Horizon is good for those who want to come & go as they please & would particularly suit hikers & those that want to explore the lovely south coast. The #6 bus runs very close to the hotel, but a 5-10 minute walk to the main road brings 2 further regular routes to you (clockwise & anti-clockwise) giving plenty of destinations around the island.
Didn't try breakfast or dinner (as I keep unusual dining hours), but the menu for that night's dinner is displayed in the morning at reception & the menus looked tasty & obviously home cooked. The butternut squash soup sounded especially good & the restaurant is attractively placed with big windows letting in the light & good views.
I'd recommend this as one of the smarter, friendlier places to stay in Guernsey that is a good base for exploring the rest of the island especially if you're following any of the Sunflower Book walks or the coastal paths.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

We have just returned from 11 nights at the Blue Horizon and had a very relaxing holiday. The hotel is situated on the cliff top above Moulin Huet Bay. The Views are fantastic and access to the cliff path is very convenient though the path is not for the faint hearted but has plenty of resting places. The hotel offers free car hire (pay your own insurance, can work out quiet expensive) or free bike hire, remember your on a lot of hills or free bus pass. We went for the bus pass and found it very useful though the nearest bus stop is 5 mins away and only 1 an hour and no buses on an evening. The nearest pub is a good 20 mins walk away and you would need a torch to find your way back down the country lanes.
The food in the hotel was excellent and we went for half board very varied choice each day though the meal timings could have been better with last orders been 9am for breakfast and 7.15pm for the evening meal, quite a lot of quests chose to eat out with it been so early. The room was clean but quiet small and had no shower just a removable shower head which fitted the bath taps and I managed to flood the bathroom twice before requesting a jug . It had a king size bed but only a double quilt which resulted in 2 large people playing tug a war for the first few nights until i got blankets. It also had the usual hotel requirement of a hairdryer that wouldn't reach the mirror. The hotel has a well stocked bar with the prices well under pub prices. The pool looked ok but as it wasn't heated we didn't try. The staff were excellent and very helpful in every way. If your wanting a quiet hotel with good food, handy for birdwatching/ walking but not too far from good access to the rest of the island this is the place for you.

• Liked — food
  • Disliked — No Shower
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

Basic rooms and facilities which look a little dated. Staff at the hotel were pleasant and accommodating. We had a double room costing £78. Perhaps I'm unaccustomed to the whole B&B thing but this is the first hotel I've stayed at where I was shown my table for breakfast before I was shown the room!

• Liked — wi-fi access
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Southampton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2007

We stayed at the Blue Horizon when attending a wedding in May 07. Booking was pretty easy, I emailed the hotel and responses were next day. As we were a party of six, we then each phoned the hotel and paid desposits using debit/credit cards. We also had free car hire for our stay which was very handy (we just had to pay for insurance). There is also the option of free cycle hire or bus tickets.

Finding the hotel will probably be a challenge as signposts in Guernsey are very small (if they're there at all!), the roads are also small and in your first 20 minutes you will probably become very skilled at 3 (or 4...5..6.7...) point turns in very small spaces - that said your hire car will be small too so it should be good practice!

The location is good, I would estimate it is equidistant between the airport and St Peter Port. We went for a walk one morning and it is very close to the cliff path so easy to walk off your substantial breakfast.

The hotel is small - a bungalow with a very large extention and the clientele does seem to be of the older variety but this wasn't a problem for us, just lots of shusshing when we came home late! Their website advertises a solar heated swimming pool and as suspected, this is a cold pool with a bubble cover on it - my friends still gave it a go (brave or foolish... foolish!).

The decor in the hotel probably appeals to the majority of the "normal" clientele but is a bit chintzy for my taste. Everything is very clean and comfortable.

The room we stayed in was nicely decorated in white with blue curtains/carpet etc, tea making facilities and a tv. My only real criticism of this hotel is that they need to update their bathrooms. The room was actually really nice but the bathroom really let it down, it was clean but really dated and tired - no stand up shower for example. On the second day I found a shower attachment for the bath taps on the back of the door but still...

The staff at the hotel were really nice and very accomodating, happy to provide extra pillows (we pregnant ladies need extra padding). There is a small area by reception where there are loads of board games and books which was good.

Breakfast was good, cereal etc followed by toast and your choice from a substantial menu. The staff seem happy to accomodate extra requests and top up coffees etc.

All in all, good value. I would stay again.

Stayed May 2007

Been to Blue Horizon Hotel? Share your experiences!