“Very Enjoyable stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Castel
Staffordshire
“Very Enjoyable stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed for three nights at the Houge du Pommier at the beginning of September. Arrived at 1120hrs and was preparing to have to wait to check in.Pleasantly suprised to be told that although my single room was not ready I was to be allocated another room.Luggage was carried by staff to Room 30 which I found to be a very spacious double room overlooking the garden.
This hotel is in a quiet location but has good public transport links from outside- the no 3 bus goes into St Peter Port on a regular basis.
Breakfast was plentiful- buffet style staff were pleasant and attentive.I ate most nights in the bar area- large range of choice -good value for money and again portions were plentiful.Bar staff were particularly pleasant and courteous
I would highly recommend this hotel.I had a very relaxing stay.

A Trip to Herm should also be considered.A beautiful island only 20 minuted by Trident ferry from St Peter Port Harbour.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Rainham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed in this hotel whilst visiting a friend who lives on Herm (which is well worth a visit by they way). I found the staff very helpful and friendly. My room was really nice, although the bathroom could do with some updating (I understand the hotel is closed for the Winter so that refurbishment can take place. There was tea and coffee making facilities in my room, a huge bed, and a lovely view into the gardens from my two windows. They have two restaurants, one for dinner and one for breakfast. The dinner restaurant had a lovely ambience, and they regular menu looked good. When I visited they had 'Tennerfest' on, which is a scheme which is run across the island in October offering meal deals for £10. Being a bit of a cheapskate, I opted for food from this menu and it was just okay. The food came out just a little too quick for my liking, and it was nothing special....I'm sure the regular menu is much better.

For breakfast they serve tea, coffee and toast and have a hot and cold buffet, with a reasonable selection of food.

Overall I would recommend this hotel, it represented really good value for money, and I had a really pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed for three nights in September half board. The Hotel is set in lovely grounds with a large car park at the rear.
The staff were, without exception, very friendly and helpful; from check in to check out.
Our room was large enough with everything you would expect. It was though looking a little tired in places. We looked out over the lawn at the rear.
The public rooms were well furnished and wifi was available in the bar and reception.
Drink prices were reasonable.
Breakfast was buffet style with a first class choice. Dinner was served and the food satisfactory.
Overall it satisfied us for our 2012 annual Guernsey "fix".

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Lovely grounds, and 10 mins walk from a stunning beach. Very friendly and helpful staff. I didn't eat at the hotel, but the room was comfortable and clean. It does have a holiday vibe so my one-night business trip probably wasn't the hotel's normal customer, but I enjoyed my stay and felt relaxed. Would be tempted to return for a more leisurely break!

Room Tip: Well worth paying the little bit extra for a superior room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Midlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

This hotel is situated in pleasant grounds in a quite location. The external appearance is charming and the grounds are nicely maintained. The bar and dining area are in keeping with the character of the building. We ate in the bar three times and found the food good and well presented, the hotel staff were generally efficient and pleasant. We booked last minute into a standard room and even making allowance for the lower price charged the room décor and general facilities were poor. The sound insulation is terrible, the shower unit is totally enclosed and unventilated hence a mouldy plaster board ceiling, there is also a big step down to get out of the shower cubicle. The room cleaning was also not to a very high standard. Requests for simple maintenance items to be attended to were dealt with at the main desk, However the work was not done.

Whilst we would not wish to return again it is a shame that the general maintenance and décor in our standard room spoilt what could be a nice hotel to visit.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a better room and request upstairs room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Kirkham, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

I have just returned from a three night stay which I found most enjoyable. The rooms were spacious and very comfortable. I never got round to the food in the restaurant as I found the bar meals more than adequate, the soups were outstanding. I was quite apprehensive prior to my trip having read so many negative comments, I have high standards, finding dining out very difficult. The manager, I found very cheerful and helpful, he has a very big hotel to run and lots of young staff. The aptmosphere in the hotel was overall very friendly, the most friendly hotel I have encountered in Guernsey. I encountered the most ecletic bunch of guests who often chatted in and around the bars and comfortable lounges.

Enjoy this pleasant hotel, I did!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We were given medieval deluxe suite, lovely large room , fantastic bathroom, enormous very comfortable king size bed. Lovely hotel, out in the country, staff very friendly. No complaints, this was a very pleasant last minute surprise and excellent value.

Room Tip: Ask for suite, very large
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Hougue du Pommier? Share your experiences!