“Guersnsey hospitality at its best!” 5 of 5 stars

Le Friquet Country Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rue du Friquet, Castel GY5 7ST   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Castel
Chester, United Kingdom
“Guersnsey hospitality at its best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Close to the lovely sandy beaches of Cobo this is a lovely friendly hotel, with a very popular carvery frequented by locals on a daily basis. The bus stop outside of the hotel is handy for travellers who do not wish to drive around the narrow lanes of Guernsey. Seafood platters are also a delight. With gardens to relax in, and a quiet swimming pool (outside only) it makes a good location for a break away. Self catering appartments also available. No pets allowed. Car hire can be arranged from reception, the additional charges mentioned in a prior review seem to be something the car hire firms do. We tend to arrive on evening flight, have taxi to hotel and then the car is delivered the following day - saving a day's hire. There are three ground floor rooms, but no lifts

Room Tip: Try to avoid ones above the kitchen area, can be noisy.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

my friend & i stay for 4 nights last week.All i can say it was fab!! found staff friendly,helpfull food great, room always clean towels changed each day. would stay again. bus stops outside hotel too!! although sundays could be a problem as appers to be no buses!(to this area)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Guernsey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I came to this hotel with a group of visiting family members who had travelled from the uk and was overall very happy with the service and food quality. However it didn't start off on the greatest foot. My partner tried to call the hotel to book a table which was on short notice however she was hung up on twice before we actually got through. However once we were there all improved greatly. The staff were very attentive and the service quick. And I must say the food was excellent. Some opted for the carvery option which was a varied choice off perfectly cooked meat with veg and all the trimmings to match. The others went for choices from the a la carte menu which they food to be extremely good with a wide choice of meat, fish, vegetarian etc. overall we had a fantastic meal but just that one little blip to start with but it did not ruin what turned out to be a very good night.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed there with my husband and a few friends. The people at the reception were really great. We asked in the morning to hire a car and they told us that they worked with Europacar. Beware that if you hire a car through the hotel service, this will be charged to you £8 per rental day. I would advise that you make the phone call yourself. We rented the car for two days with them and they charged us £16 on our room bill. They do warn you about it though. The car came very quickly and was delivered to us at the hotel (which was great because it meant that we didn't have to pay for a taxi to go to pick it up).

We had the deluxe room which was fantastic. Plus for women: you actually get big bottle of shampoo, body moisturiser and hand wash soap. I have long hair and it is very annoying when you are limited to one small bottle a day provided by most hotels.

I didn't find any mosquito there, I seem to attract them so easily, it's nice for once not to get any bit on holiday!

There was a swimming pool at the hotel which was heated and nice to swim in after a long day visiting the island.

You can buy guernsey pearls, paintings and other souvenirs from the reception.

The bar was great. Normal price for drinks.

Now, if you want to go to the restaurant, you have to book it for the evening. We haven't been told that we needed to book it by anyone, so we assumed that we would just go there and have a nice meal. Food-wise I would really recommend it. However, when arriving to the restaurant, we met the most ungrateful barman/waiter. I really hated that person (and that just never happened to me before). All other staff were great but this man should just not be allowed to work there. First of all, when we arrived: no greeting. All we got from him was a sharp "Name?". We were a little bit confused because we didn't know why he was asking that. Then we told him that we didn't book anything. He gave us a long speech on how you HAVE to book to go to the restaurant and bla bla bla, that we couldn't have a meal because we didn't book and they were too many people. I have never seen such a negative attitude. Luckily for us, the floor manager arrived and said: "We can have a table for you but you will have to wait 20min" which wasn't excessive and normal service to have. This really annoyed the barman because he was not happy to have more people coming to dine.

While we were waiting, a table must have ordered a bottle of red wine which they might not have liked or wanted. We saw a waiter coming back with an almost full bottle with a glass filled 1/4 with red wine. The barman looked very angry and poured back the glass in the bottle before serving the same red wine to another table which only ordered one glass of it. I was very disgusted. Then he kept moving fast making angry gestures and started to complain to a customer who was near the bar trying to read the newspaper. Such unprofessional attitude! I worked myself in the catering and can understand how hard and stressing it might be at times but NEVER I showed my anger and complained to customers about the system.

We got to our table in decent time to find out that HE was going to wait on us. He was still complaining that we didn't book. He rushed us to take an order. My husband who wasn't very hungry that evening decided to only have a piece of chicken which came on its own. The waiter/barman gave him a right attitude saying "You can't just have that, you need to pick a side to order" when he was trying to explain that he didn't want anything else. He just gave up and picked some vegetables. We decided to have a bottle of white wine since most of us were having sea food.

BEST SCALLOPS EVER!!!!! You have to try them!

The barman when to get a bottle of wine and just put it unopened on the table and left. Even in the most rubbish restaurant, you get your bottle opened for you and sometimes poured to a 1/4. We were trying to have a good time but as soon as he came to our table he ruined the time we were having. We ended up complaining about him all evening.

Overall, excellent hotel, only ONE person of the staff working at the restaurant managed to ruin a whole evening for us but I would definitely go back again and the food was the best you can get. If I went again, I would just tell him right in his face what I think of him and ask to change of waiter. We tried to be civilised and didn't say anything but looking back, I don't think that I would let something like that happen again.

The breakfasts were delicious and plenty of things for everyone: cooked breakfast, continental, pastries, cereals, juices, etc...

Please don't let my complaint about that barman put you off going, we really had a great time and like I said, everyone else were very friendly, smiling, helpful and nice staff!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed just for the one night on a business trip..the hotel was clean, the food was good and the stay was well worth the money...Only downside is the room have no air con....Pleasant enough stay so would recommend it for that short break...

Room Tip: Book as early as possible....
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Bridgend, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Yet again a wonderful relaxing holiday.Our third visit to this hotel was just as good as our first and second visit.We chose the Garden Room as this was on the ground floor and meant that we didn't have to climb stairs and we had stayed in this room before. Lovely conservatory attached which looked out onto the beautifully kept garden. The staff as usual were cheerful, smiling and very friendly particularly Sheev & Lucky. Booking was so easy and Denise did everything to accommodate all our requirements including Ferry and transport to hotel. No question as to where we will stay on our next inevitable visit to Guernsey.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hitchin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Had a lovely week here. The hotel decor was a bit tired, but room very clean & comfortable. Plenty of tea, coffee and biscuits provided everyday. Room was cleaned each day whilst we were at breakfast. The gardens are kept beautifully, very pretty; and the heated outdoor pool was great with comfy loungers.The best part of the hotel experience for us was the wonderful service and food. Top restaurant quality every night and plenty of good choices. I am on a gluten free diet and after emailing the hotel in advance they provided all my special bread - normally have to take my own. Will return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Friquet Country Hotel? Share your experiences!