“Beautiful Hotel with breathtaking views” 5 of 5 stars

Cobo Bay Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cobo, Castel GY5 7HB   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Castel
England
“Beautiful Hotel with breathtaking views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

I have had the pleasure of staying at The Cobo Bay Hotel twice already and yet again I am not disappointed. The reception area was particularly lovely this time, with gorgeous flower displays everwhere. The staff on reception are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble. We were allocated room 203 which is a sea view room with a balcony over looking the bay and the view is breathtaking. When we walked in the room, I was so happy with the balcony and the view, it was perfect.
All the rooms that I have stayed in are immaculate and there is a good selection of teas and both caffeinated and decaff coffee. There was a bowl of fruit and some chocolate too and good quality biscuits. There is also complimentary large bottles of still and sparkling water, you don't get this in some 4 star hotels I have stayed in!
Our bathroom had a large shower with shampoo and bodywash conveniently placed. Plenty of towels and body lotions, soaps, everything you would need, even bathrobes and slippers!
The bed was massive and very comfortable, I have asked where I can get the same pillows as they are like sleeping on a cloud! Best night's sleep I've had in a long time!
Food at Cobo Bay Hotel is excellent and their prices are very reasonable, the restaurant overlooks the bay and its nice to eat breakfast/dinner looking out at the ocean and weather permitting, there is an outside seating area which is even better!
There's a cosy bar area too, with a grand piano! We had an impromptu sing-song one evening, everyone is so friendly and you really feel at home there.
Overall, I can't praise this hotel highly enough, it should be a 4 star in my opinion! If you stay there you wont be disappointed, it's a lovely hotel in beautiful location

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are lovely and there is a balcony too!.Although there isn't a swimming pool at Th...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
West Midlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Arrived here on Wednesday for a three night visit with two friends

Having stopped at this hotel twice before we were very disappointed on this particular occasion.
Arrived to find no parking so asked to walk to the nearest car park over a quarter a mile away.
Woken at Severn in the morning due to builders working on a refurbishment of the adjacent hotel.
Room had a terrific power shower which couldn't be adjusted so when used flooded the whole of the bathroom including all toiletries loo rolls towels etc.
As our room was on the first floor we could hear every movement from people above us.

All our concerns were raised but in short the staff were not interested

Clients deserve better

Stayed April 2014
CoboBayHotel, Owner at Cobo Bay Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Judy,

When the local brewery decided not to renew our tenancy of The Rockmount at the start of the year, we were left without access to the car park we had shared. Rather than let standards drop as you have suggested, we have quickly transformed a field at the rear of the hotel in to a car park exclusively for our hotel guests, just a 5 minute walk away. In addition to this, we also offer a small number of parking spaces at the front of the hotel whilst public car parks are available along the coast road.

I am sure that you can appreciate we have no control over building works currently taking place next door at The Rockmount so it is a shame that you have misconstrued an unfortunate situation we temporarily find ourselves in as a fall in standards. Whilst I can only apologise for the issues you faced with your shower, I am disappointed that you have chosen not to review our levels of cleanliness nor passed comment on the quality of our food or hospitality, as it’s these essential ingredients that I believe determine whether we are doing the best we possibly can for our guests and not those factors which unfortunately are beyond our control.

I hope that you will therefore offer us another opportunity to renew your faith in the hotel without any external factors affecting your stay.
Bromley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

This is a lovely hotel if you are looking to stay on the beach in a quiet part of Guernsey. We went for the walking and weren't disappointed - it was very easy to get around on the buses as long as you checked the times carefully. The room was on the smaller side but spotlessly clean, bed extremely comfortable with a beautiful balcony and perfect views of the Cobo Bay sunset. The staff were friendly and helpful and the food was first class - we stuck to fish every night and weren't disappointed - it was excellent value too. We were also delighted to have haddock at breakfast. Perhaps the only drawback was that although the rooms were no smoking, smoking was allowed on the open balconies and we had heavy smokers on either side of us which spoiled sitting outside once or twice in the evening. Also, I imagine it could be noisy some evenings because the outdoor drinking and eating area is at the front of the hotel under the balconies, although while we were there this wasn't a problem. For those who like walking, this is a perfect hotel from which to walk around the island.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel, with balcony have exceptional views of the sea and sunsets
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I've stayed here a few times now with work, and have booked my parents in for their wedding anniversary.
The rooms are very nice, and always good service. A teatime drink out on the decking is a must with the sun still out, great views and very relaxing. They are covering the closure of the Rockmount next door with a sports bar at the back, which is always busy with the football crowd in. Will stay there again and again with my business in Guernsey!

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dundee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Spent 5 nights in this hotel in March 2014. I immediately liked this hotel when I arrived. Although I had booked and paid for a single I was in as double. Beautiful room, comfy bed, lovely bathroom/shower and tea-tray. The only downside was my view which was of a building site on both sides. The inn behind the hotel is being refurbished and there is also a house being built at the back. The builders start at 7am and don't finish until 5/6pm. The loud noise is not completely shut out by the windows. This was more annoying than disruptive and was outwith the hotel's powers. I wasn't in my room very often during the day so I didn't bother asking to be moved. I never ate in the hotel's bar but I did have breakfast every morning and it was lovely. The staff were really nice and helpful and the ingredients were all local and of a good standard. Fresh fruit every morning, baked goods, cereal, cooked breakfast and tea/coffee to order. I didn't use the spa as I didn't have time! The wi-fi is a bit hit and miss. It worked in some public areas and in my room but other areas are black-spots. The walls are bit thin and you can hear your neighbours but there's not a lot the hotel can do as it's quite old. The hotel is on the opposite side of St Peter Port but there is a good bus service every half hour which takes you there in 20 minutes. There is also a bus service which takes you around the island for ÂŁ2. The buses are clean and on time and the drivers are very helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view ( the fron rooms) as there is a lot of building work going on in the back of the...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Devon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Have just come back from a two-night stay and had a great time. The room was huge and the bedroom really well equipped. Fruit and chocs, plus yummy biscuits.
The staff are all great and they even called me on my late ferry trip from Jersey to see if
I wanted sandwiches put aside.
I didn't eat in the restaurant, but it seemed popular and the lady in the guest bar was brilliant and very professional, making me feel comfortable as a lone female traveller.
I didn't have a sea view, but was happy with my room, and had it when eating breakfast in the restaurant. Get there early for the lovely fresh fruit, which goes quickly!
As mentioned here, the wifi works, but not necessarily in the lounge areas ( mine was fine in my room), and the walls are a little thin - but it is a build of the age when these things were more acceptable and would cost a fortune to rectify. They have done so much else to update it that it's really not a big issue.
Stay here and you won't regret it - old style service and a beautiful spot.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Andover, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

What a truly lovely hotel. We stayed for 3 nights in March and booked rooms with sea views-a must if staying here. The rooms were a good size and very clean. Fruit and chocolates were ready waiting for us! The health spa is small but excellent. We used it twice for a gentle relax before dinner. We ate on the Friday and Sunday nights of our stay and were not disappointed in either the drinks service or the food and the service that came with it. All the staff were attentive and caring, with excellent attention to detail whether it was during breakfast or dinner, not a fault to be found, even providing vinegar for the vegetarian roast, albeit slight of hand away from other guests!!

Room Tip: Get a room with sea view, the sunset is unmissable.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Cobo Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!