“I didn't stay at the hotel I went there for a wedding” 3 of 5 stars

Cobo Bay Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cobo, Castel GY5 7HB   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Castel
Helston Truro
“I didn't stay at the hotel I went there for a wedding”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Well to start with the food deserved 10 stars but the staff were really only just friendly if that, they didn't have time for you.... They were so uncooperative that I would say they were rude..
But the food at the wedding was excellent ...so we went back on Tuesday ...not such a warm day and we bought ourselves a starter and some fries .... The starter was almost £10 but you don't mind paying for good food...the fries were £3 and they were a bit meagrer to be honest ...we went back the next day it was sizzling hot and the waiter came over and bought us drinks right away...then we had another £10 starter enough as we had a big meal later...as we were leaving we booked the same table for the next day ...when we arrived there was no reserved sign so we thought " well they just forgot" but they wouldn't serve us at all we sat fot one hour in the swelling heat and they just ignored us...my husband got up in front of them and ordered drinks from in front of them at the outside bar ...they still ignored us...they sat 4 tables after us served them with food and drinks and they were all chomping away and we just sat there...well most people know that you don't complain and then eat the food after as you dont know what they may have done to it ....spit in it or something...so we got up paid for our drinks and I went and reported what happened ......this morning I found the phone number of the cobo beach hotel on my google ans I spoke to Caroline the women in charge....she said " I am sorry but the waiters just never saw you" come on my husband is 6ft 2in tall and I am not small ....they walked passed out table loads of times and they didn't see us....I think they need spec savers mr. And mrs Mcgoo ....help
!!!!!!! the barman brought our drinks over foor goodness sake....the place maybe had 10 tables ....we ordered our table the day before...we had lovely chats to both of the waiting staff...the only thing we forgot to do was tip them....my husband hadn't got any pockets in his board shorts so he put his coins in my coin purse I had forgotten it...and we were going to give them money the next day...the day before we left a tip..was it that???? I just don't know....anyway or cobo beach hotel staff ....they left a nasty taste in my mouth ....so don't expect to have any nice people but the chef was excellent

Room Tip: We went there for a wedding .... In there advertising they say you can get a room for as little as u...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Stayed in Guernsay in October, 2011. My brother got married there and we had the Wedding reception at Herm Island. The Hotel was absolutely wonderful. The rooms comfortable, clean and very relaxing. The food was divine, we could not wait to come down for breakfast each morning. I would highly recommend this property if you want peace, tranquility and excellent service. The wow factor for me is that the hotel is smack right in front of the ocean and if you love the sound of the waves, this will do it for you. Amazing!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Virginia Water, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Went to Guernsey on a business trip and stayed in the Cob Bay Hotel for 2 nights. Although I was in a budget room without a sea view, I found it very clean, comfortable and good value. Unexpected goodies not expected from a 3 star hotel like for instance complimentary fruit in room, large flat screen TV, Sky Channels and so on. Made good use of the spa's sauna, steam room and hot-tub to unwind after my day. Restaurant suppers were excellent as was the breakfast. Staff were friendly and helpful. Will not hesitate to return on my next trip to Guernsey.

Room Tip: Pub adjacent to the hotel also serves very good food.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Guernsey, Channel Islands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We had a our works summer party last night and spent a wonderful evening on The Beach Terrace at The Cobo Bay Hotel. The food was simply delicious and the view as ever were perfect; the seafood was spectacular as were the steaks and the service was at the right end of attentive. We were fortunate enough to have a perfect west coast sunset, and when things got a little bit chilly on came the heaters and out came the snuggly blankets, we stayed outside until we left after midnight. Myself and my wife also stayed the night in a fantastic room with a big comfy bed and a balcony which gave us a fantastic view of clear blue skies and the sea breaking against the sea wall in the morning followed by a lovely breakfast accompanied once again with great service. Genuinely faultless experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

The hotel was very good - it is set up for residents to enjoy the sunset, but unfortunately we never saw the sun during our two night stay. We ate both breakfast and dinner during our stay which were both very good. The hotel is on the coast road and so there is some road noise that you can hear in the rooms, but it wasn't a problem for us.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Guernsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

We held an event at Cobo Bay and had several rooms for the night. We were lucky enough to have a cloudless sunset which did add hugely to the evening, but the staff could not have been more helpful, the food was fantastic and the rooms, although some were a little small, were of such a good standard that it really did not matter.

For such a good location the hotel is great value. Yes, it is the other side of Guernsey to the main town, but to be honest that is no great shakes, given that it is only 15 minutes drive away, and St Peter Port suffers from being on the East coast and thus is in shade for most of the afternoon. By contrast Cobo Bay has sun all afternoon and that spectacular sunset.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Bristol
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

The worst thing about our stay here was the staff's attitude towards us. What has happened to 'customer service'? ...we were made to feel like we were the problem!

My partner and I spent one night at this Hotel (originally booked three).

To start with we were put in a room near rooftop extractor fans and above the Hotel's kitchen, so not only did we have the constant droning of the fans, but also the clanging of pots and pans beneath us. We were told by the lady on reception that this was a popular room, especially with staff, where they would sometimes stay when off duty, but in that same sentence then told us the room had recently undergone work to improve soundproofing (shot herself in the foot springs to mind!).

Also, during a meal in the Hotel Restaurant I found a hair in my food (and also the same the next morning at breakfast).

Chipped glass top to coffee table (not good if staying with children).

Base of bed could be felt through the mattress.

We ended up checking out early and found a fantastic hotel nearby, wish we had booked there in the first place! (St Pierre Park).

Bottom line was the staff's attitude; at one point I phoned reception from the room to try and sort matters out and the receptionist was talking over me, defiant and made me feel like the whole thing was our problem.

Don't even think about going here!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
CoboBayHotel, Manager at Cobo Bay Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Bonnie,

I am sorry that you were not happy with the room which you received, but it is also requested by a number of guests who return each year as it does qualify as a suite at 4-star level. We did spend a lot of money in order to sound proof the room at the start of the year and this is only the second noise complaint we have received since, so it would seem it has worked. The fan is switched off at 10pm each night until breakfast, during which time there is no washing up done, therefore your sleep quality should not be affected.

The chipped coffee table glass top has since been replaced, although the mattress has not received any other complaints prior to or since your visit.

As for customer service, I would like to assure anyone reading this post that if you are a guest of the hotel and encounter a problem during your stay, then please bring it to our attention in a respectful & courteous manner and we in turn will do everything we can to resolve it for you as soon as possible.

As we were fully booked on the first night of your stay, unfortunately we were unable to change your room, and we therefore kindly requested that you contact reception in the morning if you still wished to move rooms, which would provide us with enough time to adjust our arrivals on that day. As we did not hear from you, we assumed that you no longer wished to move.

However, you then complained once more at 5pm, by which time all of arrivals had checked in and we were faced with the same problem as the first night. We therefore offered you the chance to move to our sister hotel, The Farmhouse, though you informed us an hour later that you had decided to check our & find alternative accommodation elsewhere.

Whilst I can only apologise once more that you were unhappy with your accommodation, I firmly believe that our reception team did their upmost to resolve your problem, despite your hostility towards them.

Yours sincerely,

Luke Nussbaumer

Been to Cobo Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!