“Only average” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
guernsey
“Only average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Tasty enough but the portion sizes are small, nice view over beach, slow service.. It used to be much better years ago, they have done some decorative work inside and out and I guess they have reduced the portion sizes in a effort to recoup some of the mony.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

55% Recommend
west midlands
“An annual visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I have eaten at the Houmet Tavern for more years than I can remember and it always produces good pub grub with a few specials. Booking can be a problem, and as I always entertain a group of locals as a thank you, we always like to be indoors in the conservatory, so we booked well in advance. Despite that, it was a bit like "we will seat you where we will seat you to suit us.."...............not a good reply if you want a tip I thought.
The food service was slow, it was the busiest service of the year we were told. Not to worry we were enjoying ourselves and the wine was flowing. It flowed too much for me and I did not check the bill of well over £200 until the following day. It was correct but I could not believe that the drink for our driver, Blackcurrant squash and TAP WATER was charged at £2.40, twice.
I visited again for lunch 2 days later and questioned this cost, to be told "that what the till prices it at". Oh, a rip off till then.
Food on the night that was special was the Lamb Tagine, my wife says it was the best she has ever had. On the lunch visit I had a large cod and chips, it was a cracking piece of fish really well cooked with crispy batter.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Weymouth, United Kingdom
“To Houmet may concern”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Visited on a day trip to Guernsey and a past Holiday, Food and service in the Restaurant was good, but to me the best part was the friendliness of both staff and locals. Had a great banter (watch out for Rachael) and beer or two outside on this beautiful piece of coastline.

Tremendous.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Very good restaurant but book first!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Having eaten here three times on my visit to Guernsey it offers fantastic service and value for money. The food was excellent and the real ale kept well even in the hot weather. The glass fronted balcony has a good sea view and is sheltered enough for your food to stay warm! I'll be eating there again.

Visited July 2013
“Great food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Had a meal with my family , the service was brilliant , the menu vast and varied and the food very very good , and we're fussy snobby gits so that's praise indeed ! Thankyou

• Visited July 2013