“Poor value; I even left half of my dessert.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 27 Restaurants in St. Brelade
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Poor value; I even left half of my dessert.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We went to The Goose for a family meal. I am absolutely sick of the lack of choice offered to vegetarians in most restaurants, and this place was no exception.

There were three choices for a main meal, two of them almost identical mushroom dishes, the difference being one came with an egg on top, and the other came on a bun and was called a birger. The one I had was called a fricasee, and it was nowhere near hot enough and left a nasty taste in my mouth that lasted all evening. The other option was vegetable pad Thai, which my partner chose; the vegetables were all peppers and onions, and there were NO noodles, only rice. It was also way too hot in the spicy sense.

In fairness, the meat-eaters didn't look any more enamoured with their meals than we were.

For pudding, I chose spotted dick and custard; the spotted dick wasn't even made on the premises, but came from a catering supplier; it was dry, and there wasn't enough custard; this dish was also luke-warm.

Service was slow, and the whole thing was overpriced. There's a local tea room (which I now intend to review) where we could have got a nicer meal for half the price.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Jersey, United Kingdom
“Dinner with friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had a delicious meal at The Goose last month and had a table at the rear of the restaurant away from the hustle and bustle of the main restaurant and garden area.

We had to wait for the food as it was a very busy weekend, but we didn't mind that and it was certainly worth the wait. I always opt for the lasagne with garlic bread and chips as it is so tasty. In fact it's the best lasagne I have every tasted.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Busy local pub”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The food was good but we had a long wait as they have just installed a new oven.
This is quite a busy pub and we had to queue to order food and then queue to get our drinks.

London
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Sadly a very disappointing meal. Food was very poor, bland and badly cooked. Worst meal of the holiday

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Good Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Was recommended this restaurant by the hotel owner. Tuesday night is quiz night so was very busy, but we managed to find a table. Food very good, nothing fancy but plenty of it and also a good price. There were notes on the tables saying that food could take about 45 minutes, but we are sure that we did not wait that long for our food. Good beer and good choice of wine on the menu and reasonably priced. We would certainly eat there again when we go back to the area.

• Visited August 2013