“Good Hotel, with a world class restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

The Atlantic Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Le Mont de la Pulente, St. Brelade JE3 8HE   |
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in St. Brelade
cheshire
“Good Hotel, with a world class restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2009

The staff at The Atlantic make it what it is. The ambiance in the hotel is efficient and friendly rather than obsequious and stuffy which many hotels of this calibre have.
The restaurant is truely world class with impeccable service, wonderful food (with one expection see at the end of this review )The sommelier is superb. I never found out his name but he was wonderful at recommending wines and taking a genuine interest in your tastes.
I booked our four night stay, starting on New Years Eve, for a present for my husband and we did have a lovely, relaxing and romantic time. I do feel however that there are parts of the hotel where there is room for improvement and this mainly relates to the accomodation.
I booked The Atlantic Suite, which is their best room. It is a large two roomed suite with a large bathroom, cloakroom and a small kitchen with a sink, kettle and fridge off the drawing room .
The suite is furnished well, if a little old fashioned but comfortable . However there are things that I feel let it down and I will list these in the hope that they are noted by the management,
On first entering the room I noticed a large splodge of bird dropping on the outside of the patio doors leading from the bedroom. I certainly didn't look fresh and my immediate thought was as this was a ground floor room it should have been cleaned prior to our arrival. It remained like that throughout our stay.
The room was cleaned and serviced well but when the maid came in in the evening for the turn-down service she would only attend to the bedroom and bathroom. I do think as we were in a suite the cushions in the drawing room should have been "puffed up" and the tea cups just rinsed out that we had left on the coffee table and put back in the kitchen. This was never done and when we have stayed in suites in other hotels, the turn-down service includes tidying the whole suite and not just turning down the beds. I am not saying I expected a spring clean but these small things should have been attended to in the whole suite.
The bathroom is large but badly designed. The walk in shower cubicle is very small and right by the door. The shower has only a fixed head which is very old fashioned and useless for a small woman. Most deluxe hotels have overhead rainshowers and a separate shower on a sliding hand rail which is far more practical if you want to shower but not get your hair wet.
The bath was quite small too but it was designed to fit in an alcove. I didn't mind this but it too had no hand shower. In fact it had been removed because there was a part under the mixer tap where a shower had been once and if you moved a lever the water poured out of this hole instead of the taps. I would hope it is replaced as I hate baths without shower attachments.
There was a minibar in the bedroom and the fridge in the kitchen had soft drinks in it but only UHT small milk sachets. Again I would expect a small carton of fresh milk if they provide a fridge. The icebox in the freezer compartment was completey frosted up, again I thought this neglectful and gave the impressiion the suite was rarely used.
Tea and coffee were in sachets too, again a hotel of this calibre should provide a cafetier or perculator with fresh coffee in the room.
The only fruit in the fruitbowl were four celementines and not very fresh ones, again considering this was the best room in the best hotel in Jersey you would have expected some special finishing touches, such as qualtiy fresh fruit and some biscuits in a cookie jar. No chocolates on the pillows at night, which I wasn't that bothered about really but again I felt the room completely lacked personal touches you normally get in deluxe hotels, even in standard rooms.
There was a televison both of the rooms but againthey were the old fashioned type, not flat screen which was not a problem but I do think the drawing room should have had a dvd player, and a CD player. If you look at other hotels on Jersey several have upgraded the tv's in the room to flat screen with dvd players.

The leisure club is small and basic, I do think they would benefit from making it into more of a small spa with beauty treatments or just massages. It was open from 8-12 on New Years day which I thought a bit of a silly time considering the late night. I would have thought 9-1 or 10-2 would have been better.

Breakfasts were lovely, a good selection of fresh fruit and yogart, porridge etc and then you can have a fully cooked Jersey breakfast.. I found it hard to understand why smoked salmon and scrambled eggs had a £10 supplement when it takes far less time to prepare than the full Jersey. I did have smoked salmon as a starter on one night and it was good but not spectacular so why the £10 supplement at breakfast?

The only complaint we had with the restaurant was when we ordered cheese and biscuits. What arrived was two small oatcakes and a breadroll sliced into four. I don't eat bread and asked for some more biscuits but was told there were no more.
The next night we both ordered cheese and biscuits and said we didn't want bread but just biscuits. Four small oatcakes arrived between two of us, we asked for more and were again told there were no more. I really think a top class restaurant like this in a five star hotel should not be slicing bread rolls to serve with cheese and really should provide special biscuits to have with cheese which are not limited to two per person.

Despite the above, I stand by what I said at the start of this review. The Atlantic is a lovely hotel, the staff are really special and the dining experience, if you don't order cheese, is "world class". Last year we stayed at The Bath Priory and the food was just not in the same league as The Atlantic.
Overall this was a lovely romantic break, I will return to The Atlantic and would recommend it anyone visiting Jersey. However it does lack the "special touches" that you do get in other five star hotels and therefore I would be tempted to try Longville Manor or one of the other luxury hotels on the island, before returning to The Atlantic.

• Liked — The excellent service in the restaurant and the wonderful food
  • Disliked — Lack of special touches and attention to detail in our suite, plus the lack of biscuitts with cheese
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

We went there with our family to celebrate a birthday - having been before. As usual the standard was excellent. The staff couldn't do enough for us (there were 7 of us in total including 2 children (15 and 10). The hotel is in a secluded spot with breathtaking views of the sea and lovely bay below. The restaurant was as usual excellent and everyone enjoyed the fresh food and choice. We would have liked to have had the specially prepared local dishes on the sat eve but the whole table had to have it and with 7 people incl 2 children this was too restrictive. I don't think there is a better hotel on the island!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
ENGLISHMAN ABROAD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

We had holidayed in Jersey many times when our sons were young children so my wife and I took a week to re-visit old haunts.

Enjoyed a wonderful week of comfort, relaxation and attentive service at the Atlantic situated in pleasant grounds next to La Moya Golf Club and overlooking St. Ouens bay. The hotel is light, bright and airey but not too big to be impersonal with outside and indoor pools and a small gym.

All staff were friendly, helpful and efficient and made a point of greeting you whenever they met you. Our room had a sea view, overlooking the poolside terrace and was spacious, clean and well maintained. Each room has a small balcony where you can stand but not sit. The rooms overlooking the golf course are of the same standard and possibly a better option only because if there is a function on the poolside terrace the noise and chatter rises to your room.

We arrived on a Saturday and had not booked dinner to find the hotel restaurant was fully booked. (Popular with non residents).
Without a car until the next day the staff therefore served us a lovely meal in a private recess of the library where we received every possible courtesy from the most attentive waiters.

The same staff (a mix of Frenchman and Italians) served us breakfast each day in the very pleasant restaurant and the same high standard of service and courtesy was maintained throughout. We dined out in the evenings but the popularity of the restaurant testified to the quality of the food and service.
The breakfast buffet was substantial and varied (this is an important meal for us as we only take a snack at lunchtime) and the "cook to order" service was excellent.

One of the girls in the Island Tourist Information Centre told us the Atlantic was one of their top hotels and we would agree.

Highly recommended and we would stay there again.

• Liked — Great room, excellent service and location, friendly efficient staff.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

The Atlantic Hotel is on the cliffs overlooking St. Ouen Bay so has great views from the sea facing rooms.
The rooms are well laid out with balconies.
This is a lovely hotel. The decor is immaculate and the staff are charming and extremely efficient.
The Hotel has a superb restaurant and my husband and I ate there many times during our weeks stay even though Jersey has a lot of other really good restaurants.

There is a lovely outdoor pool surrounded by sun loungers so it is great if you just want to enjoy good views, great food and wine and relax.

We love Jersey and would go back as often as work allows but staying at the Atlantic is a must.

• Liked — Everything, the views, the rooms, the staff
  • Disliked — The only thing that I would have preferred was a greater selection of fresh fruit at breakfast
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Surrey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

Having read all the reviews for this hotel we were really looking forward to visiting it and were maybe expecting too much!

We booked a three night half board package for the same rate as bed and breakfast but arrived too late (by 5 minutes) to have dinner on the first night. We were offered the bar menu or room service menu and were charged for the food we ordered. As we were not too hungry (and only ordered a sandwich - excellent!) we did not complain about this but were upset to see diners seated after this time on our last night.

As previously stated the restaurant is excellent, breakfast and evening meals were lovely and the service was lovely. However, the hotel facilities are quite limited - the gym is so small and the indoor pool so tiny that we did not make use of it. The tennis court is pleasant with a lovely view of the bay and we borrowed rackets from the leisure centre to play a game.

As stated previously the rooms are a little disappointing. We stayed in a garden room that was pleasant but not special. The garden patio has the potential to be lovely but with just two white plastic chairs and a plastic table it seemed cheap rather than luxurious.

The location of the hotel is lovely, quiet and near a stunning beach with excellent walks among the sanddunes. However, the walk to the coast is onerous with harepin bends to negotiate.

We were fortunate during our stay that the weather was beautiful and so we were able to be out and about and see Jersey at its best but I think we would have struggled with what to do if the weather had been poor.

All in all the hotel was pleasant with a fantastic restaurant but we did not feel it represented good value for money.

• Liked — the restaurant
  • Disliked — the spa
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

Just returned from a weekend at the Atlantic Hotel to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We were delighted with the hotel, really feeling it was the best we had ever stayed in.

The hotel is situated in an ideal spot overlooking St Ouen’s Bay, and only a few minutes from the airport. The hotel was extensively refurbished a few years ago, and remains immaculate, the public rooms are stunning.

We had an Ocean View room, overlooking the pool and gorgeous gardens and with fabulous views of the bay. The room itself was beautifully furnished, although not over large and with an extremely nice bathroom. We arrived to find champagne and a red rose, which was a lovely touch.

Absolutely the best thing about this hotel is the staff. Without exception they are incredibly efficient, extremely well trained and with an attitude that nothing is too much trouble. I agree with an earlier reviewer that their training is exemplary. Particularly in the restaurant, the service was impeccable, but so charming. The maitre d’hotel had his finger on the pulse at all times and it showed. This is definitely not always the case, and I have a particular dislike of waiters being pulled up in front of customers. The second night we were there, there was a new waiter being trained, and the maitre was brilliant at directing his work without appearing to. A special talent!

The food is out of this world, and the bar staff make the best Bellini I’ve tasted. The sommelier is also one of the best I’ve come across.

Like other reviewers, my only criticism is that air conditioning would be helpful, despite the carbon footprint. We had the balcony windows open, and a fan on, and were still rather uncomfortable. This was at the end of May, I can imagine it would be unpleasant later in the summer.

However, loved it and can’t wait to return. Next time, we won’t need the anniversary excuse!

• Liked — Fabulous staff
  • Disliked — No air conditioning
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2008

My husband and I and our two children (14 and 10) stayed here for four nights in late May. Sadly the weather was pretty awful the whole time so we never got to set foot on what looked like a fantastic beach at St Brelade's Bay just down the road!

The hotel is set in lovely gardens with an outdoor swimming pool and nice views from the beach view bedrooms. First impressions of the rooms were that they were a bit tired and it would have been nice to have a balcony you could sit on rather that a rather narrow one you could barely stand on! Also lack of air conditioning in a hotel at these prices was a pain, especially as it was very stuffy in the rooms, even with windows open. No fridge either but, to be fair, one was produced on request (although it did rather clank and rattle so we had to switch it off overnight as it was keeping us awake!).

This sounds as if it is going to be a negative report. The opposite actually - this is due in large part to the staff at the hotel. They were, without exception, gracious, charming and friendly and very kind to both my children. The food in the restaurant was delicious and wine list has some excellent choices on it. Simpler food is available for children. Breakfasts were both buffet style and cooked options (make them a bit warmer please!) also available. All delicious.

The indoor swimming pool is small but perfect when weather is bad and ten year old boys are bored. There is also a jacuzzi and steam room and a small area with gym equipment.

We took the package which included half board and a hire car and we made good use of both!

I would like to visit again and try for some beach time when the weather is better.

In summary - management should be aware that their biggest asset is their staff and the delicious food. A bit of attention to the bedrooms and it would be perfect.

• Liked — Friendly and charming staff
  • Disliked — Rather jaded rooms
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Atlantic Hotel? Share your experiences!