“Quiet, Soothing, Calm & Romantic - don't bring the kids!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Night Offer
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in St. Brelade
Colchester
“Quiet, Soothing, Calm & Romantic - don't bring the kids!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Having unexpectedly lost my Mother recently to a swift, aggressive illness, I was craving peace & quiet together with some sheer unadulterated luxury, so this hotel was my first choice. Having visited on several occasions to dine in the fabulous Michelin starred Ocean Restaurant, I had always promised myself I would return and actually stay there, so this was the opportunity to do it. The service from booking across the telephone right through to checkout was superb, nothing was too much trouble. We had booked an executive suite but upon arrival the Manager upgraded us to their finest suite, the Atlantic Suite, which was extremely kind.

They knew my situation, my husband had emailed them ahead and they were so understanding and considerate, they even presented me with flowers and a copy of the Ocean Restaurant's Head Chef, Mark Jordan's cook book, with a personalised message from him and signed for me as a gift. These people really did make effort and went the extra mile, I can't praise them highly enough.

The Atlantic Suite needless to say was extremely comfortable. The pool was clean, quiet and well kept, pool service was regular and not intrusive and as for the restaurant's food, well, they truly deserve their Michelin star. My husband and I, as you'll see from my previous reviews, take great pleasure in fine dining and have eaten at some of the best restaurants in the world. The Ocean restaurant takes you back to old school charm - fine white tablecloths, polished silverware, waiting staff wearing pure white gloves to serve you... There's a timeless elegance about the decor and ambiance - just lovely.

One word of caution though, it is not somewhere i'd particularly recommend for children pretty much below the age of 10, the formality and pin drop quiet in the restaurant not to mention other parts of the hotel including the pool area is unlikely to suit them and is more likely to serve as an open invitation to act up!! I speak from experience - my two are 7 and 9 and although well mannered and know how to conduct themselves appropriately in a restaurant, I'd still think twice before bringing them to this very quiet & serene hotel!

For a family holiday perhaps there are wiser, less formal choices of hotel on the island. In my opinion this hotel is better suited to couples or families with older children.

The location is stunning, the sunsets breathtaking and the ambiance is quiet, soothing and calm. A thoroughly lovely spot to go to relax, unwind and allow yourself to be spoilt and a wonderful place to spend a dreamy, romantic break with someone special.

Don't miss the Afternoon Tea on the terrace...

Overall, I would strongly recommend this hotel, it's worth every penny.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Don't be put off by the slightly contemporary exterior, what lies within is a truly great hotel with, what I consider to be, one of the best restaurants in the world. Having eaten at Le Robuchon, Macau (3*) and Caprice, Hong Kong (3*) in the last few weeks, I didn't expect the Ocean Restaurant at the Atlantic (1*), my third Michelin star restaurant in as many weeks, to be as good, it wasn't, it was better. Couple this with superbly attentive staff, an extremely knowledgeable Sommelier who recommends wines that dont break the bank along with a great location and you have a hotel I would recommend to anyone.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Rochester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

First trip back to the Atlantic after 4 years and the hotel was as excellent as ever! Great facilities but the most important aspect continues to be the professional, friendly staff who are all focused on the quality of customer service. The gradual turnover of staff does not seem to change the basic principles of the hotel, and dining in the restaurant continues to be a wonderful culinary experience. The whole team in The Ocean restaurant could not do enough for my sons aged 7 and 11, especially the waiters and waitresses.It is now 10 years since I first visited and I envisage I will regularly return with my family over the next 10 years.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We travelled to Jersey at the end of June for a short break. This was our third trip to Jersey and after dining at The Atlantic on our last visit we decided it would be a fab place to stay.

The views from the hotel are spectacular, the beach below stretches out for miles and is stunning. As we had our daughter with us on this visit we opted form two rooms with an inter connecting door, this worked well for us as gave us a bit more space, both rooms looked out over the outdoor pool, immaculate grounds and stunning beach view.

The rooms were a little on the small side but well equipped and very clean, it looked like they had recently been refurbished. Ideally we would have liked a mini bar/ fridge in the room but sending down for ice and drinks wasn't a problem. All the staff at The Atlantic were very professional and courteous through out our stay.

We dined in the restaurant two nights out of our three night stay and it was our daughter's first foray into Michelin star food. We were a little nervous as to how that would go as she can be a bit of a picky eater( she's 14), we needn't have worried as the Maître d was very helpful and understanding. The restaurant had a great atmosphere, the service was excellent and the food was exceptional and certainly deserves it's star. At The Atlantic I had the best dessert I have ever ordered it was truly fantastic, it was a modern take on the classic 70's Black Forest gateaux, Mark Jordan you are fab.

Everyday before breakfast my daughter and I used the spa facilities, it's not as modern as some like The Grand or Hotel Club and Spa but it for filled our requirements especially as on all the occasions we were the only two there, Chloe loved it for this alone. Again very clean and well kept with friendly staff on reception.

Overall fantastic trip with exceptional service from Mark Yates and his staff .We will be staying here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

From the moment we walked through the door after a late ferry arrival Mark Yates and his staff were superb. He personally welcomed us and was charming. All the staff in every area of the hotel are efficient and charming. The Michelin Starred Restaurant run by Mark Jordan was excellent with a great Restaurant Manager and deputies. It was like stepping back in time for the service - you don't often find it these days. Breakfasts were good with plenty of choice and freshly cooked hot breakfasts if desired.

The rooms were nice but a little small however I gather they are about to upgrade the bedrooms. The standard of cleanliness in all areas of the hotel was great.

We were blessed with amazing weather during our week in Jersey. We didn't travel too far but loved St Brelades Bay and St Ouens Bay and the beach at Portelet. The beaches are all beautiful and very clean with marvellous swimming. I had not been to Jersey for 30 years and will certainly go again. The West side of the island is very beautiful and quiet.

The Atlantic is perfect for people without children and although there were a few young children there I might have been inclined to book a hotel right on St Brelades beach as the children could then walk straight from those hotels on to the beach. Having said that there is an outdoor swimming pool -quite cold even in very hot weather and a small indoor spa with a small pool and small gym. The hotel is next door to two lovely golf courses. There is also a tennis court. As they have extensive grounds I may be tempted to extend the spa and make it bigger perhaps with treatments. But I am sure they have thought of this and their emphasis is the high standard of their food and the Michelin Starred restaurant. We found it supreme for relaxing and unwinding - it is quiet as off the beaten track. I have no hesitation in recommending it very highly. I will definitely return and although I have read all the other hotel reviews I am not tempted as enjoyed this so much.

Some disappointing things are the Condor ferries from Weymouth to Jersey. We couldn't get flights so we had to use the ferry. This ferry is very disappointing - its like going back to the 70"s. The food is appalling and the ferry was over an hour ate both ways. In future I will fly as the Atlantic is only 10 minutes from the airport - and rent a car there.

Congratulations to Mark and his staff and hope t be back soon.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms would probably be the best option especially on the second floor as you have wond...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
bath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We haven't been to Jersey for over 20 years and were delighted with what we found on our return. We were lucky with wonderful weather. Hotel was great. Lovely room overlooking sea. Wonderful sunsets and comfortable room with nice bathroom and great Juliet balcony but with full length French windows that slide open, gives a very nice open feel.
Staff excellent from reception/porterage to housekeeping and restaurant. Great maitre'd who remembered our names quickly and was very professional but with a very nice human touch. He seemed to care that you were enjoying your meal.
Enjoyed the island. Car hire part of the package with hotel. Airports much less stressful than usual.
We very much hope to return.

Room Tip: we were on second floor and had great views of sea
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Just spent two nights at this hotel celebrating a friends 60th. Great friendly staff who are only too willing to help with anything. Fabulous restaurant . Comfortable rooms. Would go back any time. Met Mark Jordan ahving eaten in the hotel restaurant and in Mark Jordan at the Beach, Fabulous food very well presented and great taste.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Atlantic Hotel? Share your experiences!